Light-O-Rama Forums

Seasonal Projector Animated Window Display Kit

A buddy of mine has one of those units.

While it can easily be used for window projections it is no where near the 2000 lumens claimed, although it is brighter than the HD model!

Just like IP ratings, the Chinese manufacturers tend to exaggerate their numbers! 

It's native resolution is a similar 800 x 480, that 'supports" HD  as they like to call it. Essentially you can input any higher resolution image/video but it projects at 800 x 480 which should be fine for display viewing.

Can't beat the price, which is less than the cost of many replacement projector bulbs!

I buy my (Epson) projectors used off ebay. Those can output HD, and do generate a real 2,000/3,000 lumens of output, which is overkill for a simple window projection. 

Bottom line, try the HD unit. It's convenient and easy to return if it doesn't work out for your intended application.

For a window projection, unless it's in a darkened are of the display it will likely be too dim for viewing from the distance your visitors would view it..

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

I got one of these today and must say for  the price and my intended use for outside projection on my side gate it works pretty damn well. Granted we're not taking HD quality but it is bright, clear and not pixelated. I've got it throwing a 6'x8' animation from an SD card.  Can't wait to get everything set up.  Oct 1st I start hanging my house outline smart strips. 

Is it bright enough when all the other lights are going?

Also, how do you use it outside?  Do you take it in every night, or do you have it weather proofed?  If you leave it out, I would love to know how you keep it from the elements?  That would be the one thing that keeps me from going with a few ideas I have for outside projection projects.

• 2 weeks later...

you could make what you want in powerpoint and then save it in a movie making program as a mp4 etc. or other format depending on what you have. Also there are converter programs which you can use to change the format of most anything available from

http://www.nch.com.au/index.html

I use a few of their programs and really happy with the ones I got.  not on;y to capture audio but convert files video , make videos etc.