Light-O-Rama Forums

Super slow songs?

Jaynee

Last year (my first year out - 16 channels), I only had four songs sequenced, and all of them were faster (or at least mid-tempo).  This year I'm adding at least two slow songs and I have to say that I REALLY like programming slow, peaceful songs - I find the lighting I come up is very languid and relaxing to watch.  I especially love the effects of the spiral tree in a slow song - you can really make it look lovely.

I've been working like a mad woman, and my inspiration has returned 100-fold.  Last year I only had 4 songs and 2 clips, and once I got started this year (32 channels), the inspiration came quickly, and I've already got the 2 clips redone and six songs complete.  I'm working on the 7th song now (the slow one that made me come here and post).  I hope to have the programming mostly done (with the odd tweak here and there) by mid-September so I can begin building the five new pieces I plan to have (and for which I am programming).

Anyone else enjoy creating slower sequences?

• Like 1

I personally like the peppy songs with the lights going faster. Two years ago I played a slower song, Silver Bells, and I noticed that people would start walking around and talking more with the slower song. That would also be the time that a bunch of the cars left, now whether it was the slow song or my sequencing of it I don't know. I just know that it didn't keep their attention as long so i dropped it.

In my experience, whether the audience likes a slower song or not depends the age group.  I have mostly up beat songs, but each of my shows has one or two slower songs.  In the feedback I have received, elder members of the audience appreciate the slower songs while the younger crowds tend to talk, walk around or leave as Mr. P has experienced. 

As far as sequencing is concerned, I find the slower songs more challenging to sequence successfully than faster songs.  

9 hours ago, DougP said:

I only use a slow song to keep traffic moving. I have noticed that 95% of people will leave on the slow ones.

+1. I'm with the others about this.

A show with energy seems to be the preferred. BUT, I'm sure it depends on the slow song, how ling it lasts and the sequencing.

A "long" slow song will start to lose peoples interests, from my experience anyways.

The 2-3 slow songs I'm planning on are definitely being put in with traffic movement in mind, in addition to the fact that I just like the songs.

Last year I would alternate between dancing lights and static lights from song to song in an attempt to keep traffic moving (it worked well).  My street is not conducive to having people sit and watch a full 30 minute show of fast songs.  

This year my plan is to have 2 fast, 1 slow, 2 fast, 1 slow, 2 fast, then an "it's over" clip and static song before starting over. If I have time, I'll do three more songs - 1 slow, 2 fast - to make the show have a bit more variety and length. I figure the cars will stay for the 2 fast songs, sit through half the slow song and move on, thus keeping traffic moving a bit.  

I found that a quick quirky less than 1 minute song put in the show rotation works well. I did Bubble Guppies "Outside Song" last year and have had over 3,500 views on YouTube.

I always include one slow song towards the end of my show, which averages about 12 min. in length. I edit all of my songs down to 1 - 1.5 minutes to keep the show moving along. I like to use a song that's very thought provoking. A synced video helps highlight the message of the song, whether it be uplifting imagery, or family photos and home movies. These really help the visitor relate to their own family and Christmas traditions. I then launch right into the show finale.

We do 17 or songs...so I put a couple of slower ones to break up the higher paced ones...there are some beautiful slower songs that if sequenced right..makes people go...AWWWWW

27 minutes ago, debtoews said:

We do 17 or songs...so I put a couple of slower ones to break up the higher paced ones...there are some beautiful slower songs that if sequenced right..makes people go...AWWWWW

Hmmmm,,, mine go AWWWWWay.  :D

• Like 2