Light-O-Rama Forums

Smoked pixcon chip - help help help

Jimcat33

I just burned through two pixcon's. The u9 chip started smoking and now one whole bank (1-8) doesn't have any control. We can still control one bank (9-16) using the pixel editor just fine. Then we thought maybe it was a bad chip and had a second pixcon laying around so we tried plugging that one in and burned up the U9 chip on that one too. It started smoking so we unplugged it.

Our power supply is a 33amp 12volt. We have one for each bank.

What do we do?!! We need the lights working by sat!!!!

If the same power supply burned up two different boards then you obviously have an issue with that power supply. There are a few things you should always check before you apply power to any board:

1) Always check the 110-220v switch and insure it is on the correct setting

2) Always check the output voltage with a multimeter, sometimes they come cranked up and you will have to adjust them before powering the board. I have had some as high as 14.3v fresh out of the box.

3) Always double check your wiring, pos, neg and grnd.

These things should always be checked before powering the boards. If these all check out and you still smoke a board then it was just a bad power supply to begin with.

Just curious. If all checks out good for the power supply with what you listed, how is the power supply bad? If all checks good then I would lean to something else causing the problem.

Just my thoughts in the troubleshooting world of electronics.

You also need to check the loads/pixels on ALL 8 of those ports to make sure you don't have any shorts/etc.  Are you power injecting?  If so, ARE YOU SURE you did it correctly?

We probably have the chips, or we can probably find where you can order those chips from, but getting them to you by Saturday is going to be very difficult.  Please open a help desk ticket (if you have not already).  Be prepared for a large shipping charge to have them overnighted or worse - overnight saturday delivery.

Thanks for your responses. Using a volt meter, it looks like we have a short. There was voltage coming back down the data line. Anyways, since I have two pixcons, can I 'rob' one of the chips off one of the pixcons and resolder it on the other? Are all of those chips (u8, u9, u10, etc) the same? Or if I could buy one of those chips in my town, can I just solder it on? Does it need any programming?

• The topic was locked