Light-O-Rama Forums

Laser DMX control...best practices

don731

I would appreciate any guidance on adding the DMX universe and fixture (in my case the laser) control to both existing and new LOR music sequences.  Most of the youtube "how to" videos I've been able to find focus on adding RGB pixel devices via DMX.   In my case, I will definitely run a second universe via the new USB dongle from a separate USB port on the computer.  Cable run to the laser is less than twenty feet, so hopefully this should be straightforward.  Instead of using the full laser DMX functionality, I plan on this first year of use to use automated functions which require only three or four channels, each with a specific DMX address.  Thanks in advance!

Don

Within the Edit> Network Preferrences

You need to define your DMX Universe, and identify the DMX Dongle (USB485, or other DMX Dongle)

Beyond that to understand DMX and how the channels are worked in LOR, refer to the DMX material  I have in my How-To Section on my website. I you have any questions, post em. 

Edited by zman

Don,

Here is some info for when you get to the point of programming the Laser. I found some videos and they were helpful but I still had to slog my way thru it. Hopefully these pictures will help you out.

DJ Swarm DMX Settings.jpg

I have a 9 Channel DJ Swarm Laser/Led unit. This first picture is part of the channel list for this unit. Only channels 4 - 9 are shown as they pertain to the Laser operation. Most important is somewhere in your book for the laser it will tell you what channel is for operating the Laser in DMX Mode, and what the DMX Intensity setting must be. In my case it is channel 1 and it must have a Dmx Intensity of 200-255. Think of this as the on/off switch of sorts, without this channel having the proper setting it will not recognize dmx signals. Other Dmx Intensity settings in channel 1 will cause it to run in auto mode, sound activation mode, etc.

LOE SE Channel Config.jpg

^^ This picture represent a screenshot of my Channels Configuration in LOR Sequence Editor. As you can see I have 9 channels to use, all do something different and some work together. ie. Channel 6 Lasers, Channel 7 Laser Strobe, and Channel 9 Laser Motor (turning the laser for different effects) These 3 channels will result in different colors, strobing (speed) and rotation of the beam to make patterns. These channels are added to your sequencing grid as thou you were adding another controller. As far as I know, there is no way to add them to a Visualization file.

LOR SE Seq.jpg

^^ This picture shows how the sequencing grid will look as you sequence. It is different from other LOR sequencing, instead of just turning a channel on or off, you are using the DMX Intensity to enter certain values as they pertain to the effect you are looking to do.

LOR SEQ w dmx.jpg

^^ This picture shows the DMX Intensity and what thier values are.

LOE SE dmx button.jpg

^^ This picture is where the DMX Intensity button is on the top toolbar. I believe it is only active once you have a DMX universe up and running.

LOR SE dmx intensity.jpg

^^ This is what the DMX Intensity box looks like. There are preset values. For instances if you wanted to enter a value of 99, it is easy to go to 96 and click the up button 3 times, or you could just highlight the input field and type 99 there. Once you have the DMX Intensity value you want, go to you sequence and draw it in as you would similar to turning light on in other sequencing.

This is also the same way to sequence for moving head lights. Depending on the features of your laser it can be tedious to sequence, but worth it in the end. I setup a sample sequence and hooked up the unit so I could see what effects I wanted to display at certain times. iT was helpful for me to see what I was doing with the laser because there are so many options. Hopefully this info will help you and others. If you have any question, ask away.

Alan...

Edit: be sure to have the Control Panel  running and it is sees your DMX device with no errors.

2nd Edit. this forum software is awesome for making post with pictures :)

Edited by default
  • Like 1

Default, one more question!

Somewhere I read that once you assign the base DMX channel, the unit will "self assign" the other channels (my Scorpion has 7 channels).  How would you know what the other channel numbers are?  

I think I understand the concept of intensities, which in my case, represent turning functions on or off (which of the three lasers, motors, etc.). 

In LOR, I assume that you have to proactively turn each function on, keep it on through the sequence, until there is a place in the sequence where you want to turn it off, then turn off each channel separately?  So if the "blackout" channel is for example 002, you would need to change each of the channels to 002 to stop that channel from doing it's thing, keep the blackout number going until you want to turn that function back on, then change the number back to what you want for that channel.

Edited by don731
second update

Don,

Auto assign is not the "correct" way to put it. In a DMX Universe, the 512 channels is a free assignment map. It does not care where fixtures are assigned. You assign the base address which is the 1st channel of your device. That maps into the Universe. You have to know that the device has 7 channels and be sure that you assign the next fixture appropriately.

ex:

Your fixture has 7 channels

Start or Base Address is assigned (physically on the device) as 22 - Your fixture is going to listen to all the commands coming on 22-23-24-25-26-27-28.

If you have another device, you could assign its base address to 29. 

Most folks keep it simple, and start with channel 1, but the example is meant to show you that you can assign things wherever you want. 

In LOR, you need to program any channel that has relevance to the effect. If that effect involves only 2 of the channels, so be it. The others just sit there doing nothing and are assigned to DMX 0.

If you dont want anything to happen, all channels stay at DMX 0. You only set the intensity (DMX Value) when you want something to happen. 

If there is a blackout channel (maybe it is "shutter"?) That will always be on until you need to do something (if I read your question right)

Default gave you the setup in a previous response. If you go to my website How-To page, I have some DMX material I developed over the years, those could help to fill in any blanks. 

Edited by zman

Thanks Mark!

I guess my question is: how do you turn off a channel once you have turned it on?  Just discontinue putting the intensity number in the channel column at some point in the sequence, or do you have to enter an "off" intensity value for that channel?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, zman said:

If you go to my website How-To page, I have some DMX material I developed over the years, those could help to fill in any blanks. 

+1 Agreed, I have been there and picked up a lot of useful info. Bookmark it and go back as needed.

Alan...

Edited by default

Don,

In looking back at my post, I suppose I could have made it clearer. By default (heh) all the channels in Sequence Editor will be at zero, until you add something. If you are done with an effect, it will stop at the last entry you made.

effects stop.jpg

In starting an effect, I turn on Channel 1 (to 255) at least a second or two before I add an effect.

14 hours ago, don731 said:

(my Scorpion has 7 channels). 

Which Scorpion did you get? if you post the make & model number I can look up the owners manual.

I received my box of goodies and was checking out the RJ45 -> XLR adapter and just had a question.

Holding the XLR side of the cable I see that the pin on the left is #1, then the lower middle is #3, with #2 on the right.

6c44d310b879e8452da32a0d113794e4.jpg

I looked at the wiring and I see:

1: Green

2: Blue/white

3: Blue

aafd3416c716bcc2983c7df0e96c7bba.jpg

Now I have a box of XLR connectors and a spool of CAT6. Should I keep this same pinout on the extension cables I am making, or should it be:

1: Green

2: Orange/white

3: Orange

I am making XLR to RJ45 pigtails with couplers so I can use the CAT6 as the data cables and easily hook them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK.. the OP topic was lasers and DMX.  One thing I didn't see is anyone mentioning that you can not legally run a laser for public display that exceeds 5mw and a few other caveats without a lot of other considerations.   The operator and the equipment must have variances. The operator must be present when the laser is in operation and have full view of the laser beam(s) at all times and must have a hard wired shutter control (E-stop) method in your control at all times..  There are a few other conditions to meet and you should look into them before running any lasers above 5mw. 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE SHINNING THEM INTO A CROWD OR THE GROUND.  YOU MUST BE IN FULL CONTROL AT ALL TIMES AND MAINTAIN VISUAL AWARENESS AT ALL TIMES.  You cannot just put it on automatic and let it run. And unless the rules have changes you have to have the ability to block the beam (hard wired switch is normal) in case something goes wrong or someone get too close to a beam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety

This is not the do all end all link, but it will get you started.  ILDA and the CDRH have all the info you need to make the right choice and stay safe.  Yeah, its some work and reading and paperwork to fill out, but lasers can do instant damage to someone's vision that is not repairable... I know, I have a hole in my vision that took milliseconds to happen and it can never be fixed. 

If it was me I would at least double up on the extention cables. For example 1:green,green/white pair 2:orange,orange/white pair and so forth. As far as keeping with the same colors it doesn't matter as long as both sides are the same. The only reason I would double the wires up is to up the gauge of wire even though it's just data. Make sure you solder the pairs together, example blues, oranges, greens, browns.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2016 at 11:31 PM, default said:

Don,

Here is some info for when you get to the point of programming the Laser. I found some videos and they were helpful but I still had to slog my way thru it. Hopefully these pictures will help you out.

DJ Swarm DMX Settings.jpg

I have a 9 Channel DJ Swarm Laser/Led unit. This first picture is part of the channel list for this unit. Only channels 4 - 9 are shown as they pertain to the Laser operation. Most important is somewhere in your book for the laser it will tell you what channel is for operating the Laser in DMX Mode, and what the DMX Intensity setting must be. In my case it is channel 1 and it must have a Dmx Intensity of 200-255. Think of this as the on/off switch of sorts, without this channel having the proper setting it will not recognize dmx signals. Other Dmx Intensity settings in channel 1 will cause it to run in auto mode, sound activation mode, etc.

LOE SE Channel Config.jpg

^^ This picture represent a screenshot of my Channels Configuration in LOR Sequence Editor. As you can see I have 9 channels to use, all do something different and some work together. ie. Channel 6 Lasers, Channel 7 Laser Strobe, and Channel 9 Laser Motor (turning the laser for different effects) These 3 channels will result in different colors, strobing (speed) and rotation of the beam to make patterns. These channels are added to your sequencing grid as thou you were adding another controller. As far as I know, there is no way to add them to a Visualization file.

LOR SE Seq.jpg

^^ This picture shows how the sequencing grid will look as you sequence. It is different from other LOR sequencing, instead of just turning a channel on or off, you are using the DMX Intensity to enter certain values as they pertain to the effect you are looking to do.

LOR SEQ w dmx.jpg

^^ This picture shows the DMX Intensity and what thier values are.

LOE SE dmx button.jpg

^^ This picture is where the DMX Intensity button is on the top toolbar. I believe it is only active once you have a DMX universe up and running.

LOR SE dmx intensity.jpg

^^ This is what the DMX Intensity box looks like. There are preset values. For instances if you wanted to enter a value of 99, it is easy to go to 96 and click the up button 3 times, or you could just highlight the input field and type 99 there. Once you have the DMX Intensity value you want, go to you sequence and draw it in as you would similar to turning light on in other sequencing.

This is also the same way to sequence for moving head lights. Depending on the features of your laser it can be tedious to sequence, but worth it in the end. I setup a sample sequence and hooked up the unit so I could see what effects I wanted to display at certain times. iT was helpful for me to see what I was doing with the laser because there are so many options. Hopefully this info will help you and others. If you have any question, ask away.

Alan...

Edit: be sure to have the Control Panel  running and it is sees your DMX device with no errors.

2nd Edit. this forum software is awesome for making post with pictures :)

Default,

I am making progress with DMX programming.  One followup newly question:

The normal select row, column, fill, etc. does not seem to work for DMX editing.  For example, if I want to set the intensity to DMX 151 for the entire sequence in a particular DMX channel (row) it seems you have to just drag the DMX value through the entire musical selection, rather than just filling it in.  Am I missing something here?

I also noticed that the cross hatch graphic in each block is completely filled in, rather than being filled in relationship to the DMX value, as shown in your graphic.  I am using SE 4.3.14.

Thanks for all your help!

Don in Chicagoland

Don,

I'm also using 4.3.14.

Select Row, Column and fill all work for me, I just verified it. As far as the cross hatching, I have no idea how to advise you on that.

I'm not quite understanding what you mean by;

The normal select row, column, fill, etc. does not seem to work for DMX editing.

There are 2 ways to select rows/column

1. Click on Edit (top of screen) then click Select Zone, choose Row or Column or All

2. Right Click a Box in the sequence area in the row or column you want to Click Select Row or Select Column

Both ways should allow to do what you want, if not something is screwy.

Just to be clear, are you saying if you select a value of 151 for a DMX intensity setting from the DMX Intensity Box and click in a box on the sequence it will NOT show the Cross Hatching. If so, that's new to me. I looked in the Help files and Preferences and didn't see anything.

Maybe someone has run into this before and will come along and enlighten us, if not try contacting the LOR Help Desk, reference this thread if need be.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Alan...

Thanks Alan.

I am able to fill a row by doing a copy and paste multiple.  But the right click>select row> then click in the row with the DMX tool does nothing but fill the single box with the intensity value.  No big deal, just interesting.  Otherwise, I am ecstatic that I have actually gotten the Scorpion to work!  

Cheers,

Don

• The topic was locked