Light-O-Rama Forums

Laser DMX control...best practices

don731

I am considering adding a small DMX capable multi-beam laser to my indoor show.  Currently I do not have a DMX universe, just a simple single LOR universe running 32 channels and two CCRs.  What would be the best practice to add a DMX universe, and add simple laser control (select beam, on-off).   I have used cheap lasers on my show for years, just turning them on and off.   Our 2014 show video here:

The cheapest way to control that would be to purchase another LOR USB adapter.  Our USB adapters can be used as DMX adapters as well (buy the high speed one).  You will just need to remember that we use different pins than the ESTA does.  You'll have to build a cable that moves pins 4 and 5 to pins 1 and 2 (or use one of our CAT 5 to XLR adapters and straight CAT 5 for XLR)

Define the DMX universe in the Network Preferences to use the new adapter, and then consult the manual of your device for what each channel does.

You will need the advanced version of the software.

Thanks Mike.

Another newby question: can a sequence run both DMX and LOR universes at the same time?  I am licensed at the advanced level. 

28 minutes ago, don731 said:

Thanks Mike.

Another newby question: can a sequence run both DMX and LOR universes at the same time?  I am licensed at the advanced level. 

Yes.

So this would be the setup:

computer>usb hispeed adapter>cat 5 cable as required>cat 5 to xlr adapter (my laser uses 3 pin xlr)>xlr cable to device.

14 hours ago, don731 said:

computer>usb hispeed adapter>cat 5 cable as required>cat 5 to xlr adapter (my laser uses 3 pin xlr)>xlr cable to device.

Yep.

You don't need the high speed one. DMX has a fixed speed which the standard USB485 can do.

16 hours ago, don731 said:

As DevMike pointed out, this needs to be a custom Cat5. You can make one, or buy one. Some refer to these as crossover cables. 

9 minutes ago, zman said:

As DevMike pointed out, this needs to be a custom Cat5. You can make one, or buy one. Some refer to these as crossover cables. 

Are these sold on the LOR store?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

You don't need the high speed one. DMX has a fixed speed which the standard USB485 can do

True, but I'm going to go with Mike and recommend anyone buying ANY LOR RS-485 adapter to buy the high speed one.  Although DMX speed does not require the high speed adapter, and LOR networking does not either unless you are using 500K or higher speed (and some people have gotten away with using the black adapters for 500K), you CAN use the high speed adapters on any LOR or DMX network, and one of these days you may need to speed up your networking and will wish you had bought the high speed adapters.  Besides, the price difference is so little between them, that there is little reason to buy the black ones.  And if you have any high speed networking, make sure your spare RS-485 adapter is a high speed version.  You do have a spare adapter, right?  Remember that if that one little adapter fails, your show does not run (or a portion of it if you have multiple networks).  Makes it a REALLY important part!

1 minute ago, zman said:

Hmm...these appear to be the cat 5 to XLR adapters as noted as the next component of my system: cat 5 cable as required>cat 5 to xlr adapter 

So these adapters provide the crossover function?  

Thanks!

Correct.  You use a straight CAT 5 from a LOR USB adapter to it.  It does the crossover from 4&5 to the correct XLR pins.

Whoa, wait a minute....

I can buy the USB485-HS and one of those $9 rj45 to XLR adapters, and run those new DMX lights I've had my eye on?

For real? I was holding off because I thought I would need an iDMX for another $200 bucks.

What's the catch? Is there a limit of 2 devices or something? I already have the advanced license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can use either the LOR RS-485 adapter or some other, and set it up for DMX in network preferences.

If I remember right the DMX standard allows 32 devices on a network.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

When it comes to connectivity, we have a lot of options.  Each has it's merits.   I'll describe some of them here...

If you are looking to run a few DMX channels, and don't mind another cable from the computer, the cheapest way to do it is with our HS USB adapter.  1 USB (or more) for LOR stuff, 1 USB (or more) for your DMX.  Now remember the LOR adapter is a DUMB DMX adapter - that means the computer will need to re-send the DMX data every 24ms.  Depending on the total number of channels and your computer, this could put some load on it.  Remember:  Data is on 4 & 5, and you may need to move it to 1 & 2.  Even LOR G3 MP3 directors (uMP3 and G3MP3) can output DMX natively.

You can use a DMX Smart USB adapter, like the Entec Pro.  That reduces the amount of data being sent from the computer reducing the load.  Data is going to be on 1 & 2, so if you are using LOR equipment in DMX mode, you may need to move it to 4 & 5.

If you don't want an extra wire around, use an iDMX1000.  the iDMX1000 is a BRIDGE - it takes LOR commands and converts them to DMX commands.  Basically you talk to your DMX device as if it is a LOR device, and the iDMX does the conversion.  Old MP3 directors can use DMX equipment with an iDMX as well.

The PixCon16 has E1.31 to DMX bridge ports.  That means you talk to the PixCon16 with IP (over a true LAN).  When the data gets to the board, the PixCon turns it into a DMX output on one of the 4 bridge ports.  That means a PixCon16 can also control 4 full universes of DMX equipment.

Going even further, ALL LOR equipment can also understand DMX.  You can take a LOR controller, put it on a DMX universe, and it will respond as if it is a DMX device.

With a little bit of configuration (and some know how), you can get into some very interesting setups.  At this year's FL mini I demonstrated controlling a CMB24 with E1.31 (via a PixCon16).

After reading this thread last night I decided to order the USB-RS485-HS and the RJ45/XLR adapter. I wanted to get it at the sale price so I only had a little time to work with.

I ordered last night at 10pm CST and I received a shipping email with tracking today at 12:15.

THIS is why I continue to buy from LOR, the amazing service is hard to match and impossible to beat!

Thanks Mike for the info, and thanks to everyone at LOR for being so awesome!

I've ordered as well!  I will initially be running just one DMX device with 3 channels on this line, so hoping for a straightforward setup.

Thanks, gents!

Don

I'm going to run a few devices, nothing fancy just wall washers and floods.

I hope network configuration is straightforward as well.