Light-O-Rama Forums

Tree Dazzler - anyone seen or bought one yet?

Orville

Just saw an ad on TV for this the other day and wondered if they might be worth investing in, and possibly if they might be hackable to use with an LOR DC Controller.

The item is called a Tree Dazzler, it's a strand of RGB L.E.D. lights with a ring attached to make decorating your Christmas Tree easier.  Looks like an interesting product, but I don't know if they are using true RGB L.E.D. bulbs or like the old Gemmy Light Show trees that contain 3 separate L.E.D's, 1 red, 1 green and 1 blue to make all the colors.

Here's the link to their website if you want to check these out: Tree Dazzler Website

Now if these are true RGB L.E.D.'s, as in a single element {like the LOR CCB's, CCR's, etc.} and possibly hackable, these might make for a cheap way for someone to get into RGB lighting effects using the LOR DC Controllers as they're current starting price is $39.99 currently for the 16 option deluxe version, they have a premium version for $49.99, just adds a few more lighting options, again, if they can be hacked, the cheapest set should be good enough.  Supposedly 10 strands of 8 lights per strand, but I've seen 2 different counts on this on their website, one states 64, but their F.A.Q. states 80.{Also sent them an e-mail asking about this and a few other questions about them.}

They do have a built in controller to control the light settings, depending on which version you buy, but that shouldn't make much of a difference if they're going to be hacked for use with a DC controller, if possible.

I plan on getting at least 1 or 2 sets for my indoor Christmas Tree for 2016 as this would sure make it a lot easier to decorate.  They do recommend a 7-1/2 foot tree minimum and 9 foot maximum for the "Tree Dazzler" light set.

Just thought you folks may want to check these out for possible DIY projects.

These are being sold by one of our own. I can't remember who it was but as far as I know they are true RGB's. He was on Shark Tank last year and one of them is now working with him.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2016 at 8:09 AM, DougP said:

These are being sold by one of our own. I can't remember who it was but as far as I know they are true RGB's. He was on Shark Tank last year and one of them is now working with him.

Thanks for the info about the RGB part Doug.  That was going to make or break my decision on whether to invest in some of these.    I may try and get the 3 pack and attempt to hack one just to see if it's possible.   'course I'm going to have to get an LOR DC Controller to experiment with them if I do get them!

At $129 for a three pack and then having to get a controller and all do you think it is cost effective to see if they can be hacked? i don't know, just asking.

54 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

the one on shark tank  was    Geek My Tree

That is true, but this one looks like the same and with a few changes. I know that there was talk of changing the name and as far as I know no one else has been on the shark tank with this.

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

At $129 for a three pack and then having to get a controller and all do you think it is cost effective to see if they can be hacked? i don't know, just asking.

They're $49.99 each for the premium ones (10 strands/8 RGB LED's per strand=80 total}, you save a little over $40 if you buy the 3 pack, and since I want to use a set or 2 on the next indoor tree we buy, it would be cost effective for me if I don't have to do hardly any modification other than cut and splice them to an LOR DC Controller.   

The lesser ones are $99.99 for a 3 pack or $39.99 each set, but these are the deluxe version and from my understanding only have 64 RGB L.E.D.'s on them, 8 strands at 8 RGB L.E.D.'s per strand = 64 total}.   But if they were going to be hacked the cheaper set may be viable, just depends on the end users needs.      

I think they could be and are very possible cost effective in the sense they do cost a lot less than a ready to go 50 pixel node string from LOR, but adding in the cost of the LOR DC Controller, power supply and possibly an enclosure for it, not sure if that would still even be close to the cost of a ready to go pixel system from LOR.    I'm hoping to get some of the ready to go fully assembled CCB systems from LOR in the future, but for a starting point, thought these might actually be a viable alternative to learn on and with, again, providing they are hackable and usable with an LOR DC Controller.  And especially since they don't seem to be all that expensive, at least not to me at the moment.

I just thought these, if hackable, might actually be a cheap alternative for someone wanting to get into RGB and trying a DIY hack to make them work outside the box so to speak.

Just a suggestion on something new on the market I happened to see and share, since there may be some here who would want to play around with them.   Especially since there are a lot of DIYer's in this crazy and zany hobby of ours that come up with some of the coolest things around here at times.

17 minutes ago, DougP said:

That is true, but this one looks like the same and with a few changes. I know that there was talk of changing the name and as far as I know no one else has been on the shark tank with this.

If you notice next to the big red ornament, to the left is a Christmas Tree and there is a #1 Best Seller logo and then a small blurb to its right that states "As Seen On Shark Tank".   So probably the same thing, just that they've made some improvements to the original and made it a bit better.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looks like the ones on my tree, except these are built on to the tree itself as opposed to an add-on, and it comes with a simple music sequencing box that is app controlled.   Mine is likely very hackable, but I don't mess with stuff inside at pain of wife-death. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 5:43 PM, jtomason said:

Looks like the ones on my tree, except these are built on to the tree itself as opposed to an add-on, and it comes with a simple music sequencing box that is app controlled.   Mine is likely very hackable, but I don't mess with stuff inside at pain of wife-death. :D

LOL 

I had a spare 8 ch controller and was told "HELL NO" too. 

I found them to be on the cheap side. They look nice from afar but up close during color change, you can see a major fluttering of the light. My guess is to keep cost way down, they used cheap led's and probably a cheap 2811 chip.

I picked one up Day after Christmas 1/2 price at home depot as well as 2 effects projectors. Put the dazzaler on an inside tree it was nice. Says inside use only but for 15 bucks a fun toy for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yea, I saw them in a local store, and after seeing one up close and personal, opted to keep controlling the lights on my inside tree and inside window decor with an CTB16PC controller that got it's box destroyed by our lawn maintenance buffoons.  So it's relegated to interior use for now, but hey, 16 channel CTB16PC in a wooden box with 8 duplex outlets {16 outlets total} wired to each channel on the controller, that gives me a nice addition for the interior as well as the exterior of the house being controlled independently.

I had a chance to pick a bunch up at my local Home Depot yesterday at $2.97. I just cant get past the way they look. So I passed.

I opted to buy every C9 and C7 LED bulb they had. I was like a kid in a candy store. I had to get some marine grade caulking and stopped in and they were loaded with stuff they found in their storage bay. The clerk had just started marking them down. $12.99 C9's for $1.97 after my discount 50 count. And they had green at that.

And I picked up a big 42" LED star that I will use for my attic vent cover next year.

After reading this entire thread, I wonder if the $2.97 was for a pack of 3. The clerk just told me as I was looking. They had them on the display tree, that was what caught my eye in the first place. Walmart or any place I had been looking for the silicone didn't have anything from Christmas so when I saw the tree I went in that direction to see a forklift with C('s and C7's

• The topic was locked