Light-O-Rama Forums

Please help

xmaskarl

My house was burglarized last night and my computer as well as my portable hard drive was taken. I have lost all my sequences. If anyone can share there's, it would be appreciated. My e-mail is xmaskarl@live.com

First of all, I'm very sorry for your burglary. You might want to give a little info on what you have. It might make it easier for people to help if they have some idea what you have for props. Makes a big difference if you need to fill 32 channels in groups of four vs a 16 string pixel / CCR tree.

The more useful part of this post is a reminder of something I have posted many times on this forum - the value of off-site backups. Does not really matter if it's cloud based (Google Drive, One Drive, Carbonate, etc) or physically taking storage media off-site. Personally, I do both. The house being burglarized is one of the specific examples I give of the reason for off-site backups.

I know this does not help you now, but maybe someone else reading this will take my advice - and you will next time....

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Sorry for the lack of info.  I am using 32 channels and not necessarily in groups of four.  Any configuration will help.  The Portable hard drive is where I had my Backup.  Will begin using drop box in the very near future.

• Like 1

you got mail. Give them time to download. There is a couple hundred from the last couple years to include Halloween and Christmas for you . Also some faces are included.

e mail me so I can send them back to you I have tried to send them to you but it comes back saying

" This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
Delivery to the following recipients failed.

I have tried to send you things in the past and do not know why I keep getting this message..  Maybe you have a different e mail address as I copy paste yours and it comes back to me as non deliverable.

You should still have my e mail..

retired_old_sarge

I just tried sending you the reply I got back by typing you address in instead of copy paste it. Maybe it will work this time...no... it came back again..... fix your e mail or use a different one..

why does it list your address as    (    This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

dcsa4@msn.com       )

Edited by Old Sarge

23 hours ago, xmaskarl said:

I am using 32 channels and not necessarily in groups of four.  Any configuration will help.

Unfortunately, my show centers around a 12 string pixel tree, and most of the other channels support what the tree is doing.  Would be pretty boring without the tree.

23 hours ago, xmaskarl said:

The Portable hard drive is where I had my Backup.  Will begin using drop box in the very near future.

I'm sorry you had to learn that the hard way.  I know that many people here have seen this before, but this is what I do. I am a bit unusual in that I have a domain controller / file server and all computers log into the domain.  Therefore, most of you can't do exactly what I do, but it should give ideas.  On both the show computer and primary sequencing computer, there is a mapped network drive of L: that is really D:\Shared\LOR on the server.  All the LOR files are stored on the server.  The D: drive on the server is currently two 1 TeraByte hard drives in a RAID-1 configuration.  This protects against a single drive failure.  I will shortly be adding a third identical drive as a hot spare (the server has room for eight drives), and when I need more space, I will add two more drives to the RAID array.  Also note that in the event that the RAID controller detects a problem, it will immediately send me an E-Mail.  The hot spare drive will protect against a second drive failure (provided it happens long enough after the first failure that the RAID controller has moved it into a primary role and fully rebuilt the array).  The data on the server is backed up weekly to an external hard drive and taken into my office at work.  I have two external hard drives that swap places as the off-site backup.  In other words, there is always a backup drive at work that is no more than 8 or 9 days old.  Furthermore, stuff that would be a problem to lose (such as an evening of sequencing), gets copied to Google Drive at the end of each sequencing session.  Same thing goes for a few other things I do that I really would not want to lose.  Just for good measure, this computer (what I normally use for sequencing) and the LAN switch in this room are protected by a UPS that has about an hour of battery life.  The server, show computer, and LAN switch in the data cabinet, are protected by redundant UPSes that currently are good for about 90 minutes (each UPS feeds a different power supply in the server), and when that project is completed, will have about 8 hours of battery (unless it's during the day when the solar will extend that).  I also get sent E-Mails in the event of primary power for any of the UPSes.  During Christmas show season, all the active LOR files are also copied onto a backup folder on the show computer.  In case of a failure of the server, I simply change the mapped network drive of L: on the show computer so that it points to c:\LOR_Local, and all my files are there.  I did have to use that in 2014 when my ancient server was dying and kept re-booting.  I have a spare for the show computer too in the event that it dies.

In case you are wondering why I am so detailed in making sure stuff stays working, it comes from what I do for a living.  I run a regional public safety two way radio system with the understanding that under the wrong set of circumstances, failure of the radio system could result in someone dying.  We take system reliability VERY seriously at work!  That mentality rubs off at home...

• Like 1

Maybe you do something to prevent a break in in the future. I have a pitbull and a Cane Corso best theft deterrent there ever was. Someone tried to break in our house years ago when we had cats since then we've changed things. Now we have the two dogs and my wife is a third degree black belt and instructor my fourteen-year-old son is a second degree black belt both of them have many awards in competition. My eleven-year-old daughter is going for her black belt and I'm a very good shot. Since our attempted break-in we got a little more proactive. Nothing's worse then that feeling when your own home has been violated and the police fill out paperwork and say oh well. I will check back to see if Sarge gets you what you need if not I can go back and see if I can dig up some of my old stuff I'm pretty sure I know where it's archived.

I resent it to a different address he sent me but he has not said if he got it or not so I have no idea if he still needs more... I sent him over 150 files..Christmas for the last 2 years and 80 faces I think, I had last year as well as both years Halloween..

Sarge, I did get them. Thank you for all the trouble you had sending them to me.  Being a Vietnam era vet, I am very grateful for the services of our men and women in the armed services, and dedicate my displays to them.  

Thanks again for all that you did.

• Like 1