Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving files from one PC to another

rick gurnee

This is the first year that I am using Intensity Data Files and have a question about moving files from on PC to another.  I sequence on one PC and have a separate PC for my show.  In the past I would move the sequence file (LMS) to the show computer and then using the sequence editor I would point to the audio file and save the sequence.  This would create a new LMS file and the compressed file (LCS) which is actually the file used during the show.

Now with Intensity Data files, Superstar creates an LID file that is separate from the LMS file, but somehow the sequences knows about this LID file. Do I copy over the LID file and put it in the same folder as the LMS file or do I copy over the SUP file and rerun the Superstar export to create a new LID file?

I looked in the sequence editor to see if there was someplace you can specify where the LID file is located but I couldn't find anything.

The LID file needs to be in the same folder with the corresponding LMS file. As long as you do that you are good to go.

SPaschall 

FYI....

The easiest and (what we think is the best) way of keeping things in sync between 2 computers is to

1. Always save your sequences/audio/whatever within the LOR Data directory.  If you didn't change it on install it will be 'My Documents\Light-O-Rama'
  2. Copy/move the entire LOR data directory from one computer to another.  IE, look at 'My Documents' on the one computer, copy the entire 'Light-O-Rama' folder and put it on the second computer.  

That will work great if you always sequence on one, run on the other.  More advanced users may want to look at things like 'SyncToy' which will copy things back and forth automagically.  Beware however that tools like this (and others like 'DropBox') can sometimes 'lock' files and prevent S4 from reading/writing to them when needed.  That can sometimes cause issues editing/running shows/etc

I have learned (the hard way) to back up my LOR files, and sequences, on 4 different sources. 2 Different computers, and 2 external HDD's..

6 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

I have learned (the hard way) to back up my LOR files, and sequences, on 4 different sources. 2 Different computers, and 2 external HDD's.

And make sure at least one of those is off-site (either cloud based or taking physical storage media somewhere else).  Someone else on the list posted that their house was burglarized last night and the bad guy got his computer and the external backup drive that was next to it.  Don't let that happen to you.