Light-O-Rama Forums

Motivation

zing

Am I the only one lacking some serious motivation this year for programming?  Just can't seem to get into it.  Slowly working at it, just feel "blah"

No you're not.  I recently started working on some new props and that has lit a spark in me to start sequencing them.  Then I start working on the rest of the sequence.

i have the same issue, but mine is because I am moving in February and its hard to sit down and program new songs knowing I have to redesign my whole show next year.

Last year I had no motivation to do anything.   I did no programming and added nothing to the light show and ran it the same as the year before.  I felt good that I just got it up and running. 

This year, I've been back to normal.  I started finalizing my ideas back in early spring and started tinkering and ordering stuff in May and June and am now working on all my projects and sequencing two new songs for this year.

Even though I had the display last year, it was almost like a breather and re-energized me for this year.

We all go through this, its just life. I've had years that I was not into it until I started Set Up and then got really jazzed up. Its normal. No matter what you will get jazzed when you hear that first squeal of the Season as your visitors start showing up...

I was really motivated in January and had a lot done on the computer by February. Then I got offered a new job in Tampa Florida and moved. Now I'm looking at it going wow there is no way I'm going to get it all done lol. All the programming I did already won't work lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely you can still use the sequences to just about any layout. The work of sequencing is already done. That's the hard part and takes the longest amount of time.

So decide where the props go, hook them up and let-r-rip.

I moved in 2012 and used the exact same sequences from the previous year at the old location.

Worked out better than expected.

So there is motivation. Get to work on planning the display.

4 hours ago, Brian Mitchell said:

Last year I had no motivation to do anything.   I did no programming and added nothing to the light show and ran it the same as the year before.  I felt good that I just got it up and running. 

Brian, I've done the same thing. No complaints what so ever and yes, it felt good just to get it up and going :)

Surely you can still use the sequences to just about any layout. The work of sequencing is already done. That's the hard part and takes the longest amount of time.

So decide where the props go, hook them up and let-r-rip.

I moved in 2012 and used the exact same sequences from the previous year at the old location.

Worked out better than expected.

So there is motivation. Get to work on planning the display.

The issue I'm having is the pixel layout of the house if different, and the exported intensity files can't be brought back into pixel editor to fit the new house. If I use my new payout I created it over writes all the pixel data that was exported for my pixel tree and pixel tree line. Not too happy with pixel editor at the moment lol

1 hour ago, 1983ss454 said:

The issue I'm having is the pixel layout of the house if different, and the exported intensity files can't be brought back into pixel editor to fit the new house. If I use my new payout I created it over writes all the pixel data that was exported for my pixel tree and pixel tree line. Not too happy with pixel editor at the moment lol

Okay, you bring up a good point. So no excuse. Work them pixels. :)

Been messaging Matt trying to figure out a solution. Don't worry there hasn't been a dark night since 1982. And this won't be the first lol

Good luck and happy programming.  Just remind yourself how "relaxing" it is.

There is always time to LOR.  Just finished updating the Halloween show and will start updating the Christmas show in a few days.  Thank goodness for air conditioning here in NJ right now.  Without it, nothing would be getting done!

Same here.  In fact, I posted about it a week or so ago!

I did at least decide what my channels were going to be (I'm going from 16 to 32 and have some adjustments to make since some 2015 elements will not be done this year).

I think once I bring in the new controller (which is still in the unopened box it came shipped in) and hook it up, I'll start to get into it.

14 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

Same here.  In fact, I posted about it a week or so ago!

I did at least decide what my channels were going to be (I'm going from 16 to 32 and have some adjustments to make since some 2015 elements will not be done this year).

I think once I bring in the new controller (which is still in the unopened box it came shipped in) and hook it up, I'll start to get into it.

WOW! :o Still in the box and haven't opened it yet.

I've programmed two songs, rehash from last year to work with the new 16 channels.  An i'm hoping the lack of enthusiasm is because i'm using the same songs from last year.  Next song will be new to me this year, just hoping I get into it.

If you don't get into it, you can always sell your stuff for a fraction of what you paid, instead of having it clutter up your storage space.  :rolleyes:

I have never programmed a song from scratch.  But instead,supplement purcheases/shared singing faces sequences with non-singing elements from other shared sequences. So I still do a lot of tweaking  but it's not a tedious job like I imaging it would be from scratch.

I have never programmed a song from scratch.  But instead,supplement purcheases/shared singing faces sequences with non-singing elements from other shared sequences. So I still do a lot of tweaking  but it's not a tedious job like I imaging it would be from scratch.

My sequences from scratch always suck. I try but they are just boring. But sometimes I want a song that no one has done, like Santa's got a hot rod by Brian seltzer. Just ends up boring or I don't use them

10 years ago (yes, I've been here a few years), sequencing from scratch was VERY tedious. Running through the sequence over and over more than a hundred times, and 5 seconds at a time just to get the timing down. 40 hours per song/sequence was the norm. Things have gotten better/easier but there is still a lot of work when starting from scratch.

10 years ago, there weren't near the amount of songs sequenced or shared sequences (smaller crowd back then). So starting from scratch was also the norm.

I still run into creating sequences from scratch depending on the song and what others might have sequenced that I wasn't happy with for my own display. But a lot of sharing from others sure helps ease the initial pain of getting the timing down, which is the biggest time consumer (in my opinion) sure helps a bunch.

So  HUGE thanks to those that share!!!!

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper