Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Requirements?

James Hill

Hello everyone,

I just want to make sure of some calculations.

I am building 4 singing faces with RGB nodes. A total of 804 nodes. Spec sheet states each node uses 0.24W

If I am using 804 nodes X 0.24W = 192.96W

What I want to know is...

My faces will be using 2 CMB24D's - can I use one 350W power supply to power both CMB24D's or should I have them on their own power supply?

192.96W is only 55% of my 350W power supply

You folks have been doing this longer than I have and know better. Am I forgetting something?

Thanks in advance...happy lighting!!!

If .24w is the max draw at full on than you are fine. I don't run nodes but for strips I run about 75% total draw. Much more than that and the power supplys can get hot and burn out. You never want to max them.

4 hours ago, Need more lights said:

If .24w is the max draw at full on than you are fine. I don't run nodes but for strips I run about 75% total draw. Much more than that and the power supplys can get hot and burn out. You never want to max them.

Unless of course you use good power supplies, then you can "max them".   I agree about the cheap Chinese ones though.. 80% is typical rule of thumb but remember, if you don't do all white for very long, the load is not static and temp full power is not harmful..