Light-O-Rama Forums

Thinner than coroplast?

Jaynee

Very nice showing and explanation of your work Jim :).

I like the comparison of the versions and the difference it shows.

Thanks for sharing your project on the use on this material with us.

Tom

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2016 at 2:30 PM, k6ccc said:

BTW, the majority of it is expected to be used for some much nicer Tune To signs.  This is what I have run for the past two years.  Just a sheet of painted plywood with a light pointed at them.  The new ones will be internally backlit with the front face being this material.

2014_6_arches.jpg

I have the new Tune To signs almost completed.  Got the first one powered up and I am very impressed.  The box is made from 3/4 inch plywood.  The box is 27 inches wide, and 27 inches tall including the legs.  It is 8 inches deep.  The plastic is on the inside face of the front piece of plywood with the smooth side towards the audience.  The lighting is six pieces of 30 LED per meter dumb strip that is attached to the back of the box for a total of 108 LEDs.  It is plenty bright enough!  The plastic completely defuses the light from the LEDs so there are no hot spots at all.  The letters are formed from three inch "peel and stick" vinyl on the audience side of the plastic.  I'm going to try to find four inch vinyl, and if so, I will replace the "Tune to 101.5 FM" part with four inch letters.  I did walk as far away as most of my audience will ever be and even with my crappy vision, I could read the sign in all the background colors that I tried.  The photo below was taken with my cellphone camera because my good camera had a dead battery.  I did shoot it with all three primary colors in addition to white, but the phone camera simply could not do it justice.  Even this photo the camera did not do it justice, but not quite as badly.  The light leakage around parts of the border is because I just quickly put the front face on for the photo and there were only a couple screws and no sealant in the gaps.  I will charge the Nikon and take some better photos in the next couple days.  I will also post some construction photos.  One of the last things I need to do is to plug up the bottom.  At this time, the bottom of the light box is open,so you can see it lit up the driveway very well.

Tune_To_White_quick.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That's lookin great Jim.

As I was scrolling the pictures I was wondering....

What's the deal with the bricks? Are those RGB bricks? LOL

I soon realized it was weight to hold down the strips while gluing them in.

Nice job!!!

Edited by Santas Helper

On 12/11/2016 at 9:29 PM, k6ccc said:

As I type this, the web page is not nice and polished, but it should give an idea how the signs are built.  I will add some better night time photos soon.

http://newburghlights.org/TuneTo.html

I have updated the website with some night time photos.  Here is a sample.

TuneTo_green.jpg

10 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

I really like the even glow that puts off Jim.

great job!!!

Thanks!  Yea, the light output is very even.  I was very happy with it.

Do you think this stuff would get brittle in the cold?

around here we have to worry about it if it gets 20 below and gets rattled by the wind will it hold up

No idea how well it does in the cold. This is southern California, so +35 F is considered to be brutal cold. Haven't gotten below 40 yet this winter, but it might tonight. I just hope I can fix the furnace today before it does!

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using this to mount Pixel Nodes in yet?  Has anyone seen any issues with this holding up long term?

4 minutes ago, Little_b said:

Has anyone tried using this to mount Pixel Nodes in yet?  Has anyone seen any issues with this holding up long term?

Mount how?  Do you mean drill holes in it and have pixels mounted through it?

It's not structurally strong, so I don't think that would work well.  Or am I miss-understanding your question?

You are correct, drill holes for a matrix type application.  It doesn't have to stand on it's own, but hold the lights in place.

I think holes could be drilled easy enough. It's not too brittle. But some support frame/structure might need to be in place depending on the weight of lights/pixels and the size/area of material.

Edited by Santas Helper