Light-O-Rama Forums

Thinner than coroplast?

Jaynee

This year I'm hoping to make some Christmas tree "statues" using lattice.  My parents' church had them set up in the sanctuary last year during their Christmas Eve service and they were VERY COOL.  They were triangular, made of trellis and what looked like a thick vellum on the inside.  Like a super-thin coroplast that was weather- and wind-proof.  Then they perched RGB floods inside, aimed straight up and lighting up the trees from the inside.  

The lattice is copious at my nearest big box store, but I can't think of the type of product I need to use for the inside liner.  Coroplast is too thick and (I don't think it comes in rolls), but I can't find sheets of vellum either.  Any recommendations?

I've emailed my dad to see if he can talk to the designer at his church to get details, but there's no guarantees he'll find the answer.

Edited by Jaynee

Thanks guys.

I ran into this a while back as I have an upcoming project and was looking for something similar to what Jaynee was looking for.

I haven't ordered any yet but plan to here pretty quick.

Jaynee, keep us posted on if you get some and how it turns out and I'll do the same.

Tom

Tom,

Awesome find! I was looking for something like this as well but only found more rigid plastic.

I'm bookmarking and ordering.

-Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2016 at 4:46 PM, Santas Helper said:

Okay, I just placed an order for a 25" x 50" panel. Gotta check this stuff out and see what it is and how it does with LEDs.

Hopefully we'll have results next weekend.

I'll keep you all posted.

Okay, I just placed an order for a 25" x 50" panel. Gotta check this stuff out and see what it is and how it does with LEDs.

Hopefully we'll have results next weekend.

I'll keep you all posted.

Can you post a picture or two showing how it diffuses light? Really curious to use on my columns!

I won't be ordering mine until mid-OCtober when I'll have the budget to purchase all the supplies I need for my project.  Looking forward to seeing the light diffusion as well!

I here ya Jaynee.

One thing I noticed when I placed my order was the shipping cost.

For one sheet, the shipping was $11.00 :o

But when I selected 6 sheets, the cost only jumped up to $13.00 total ($3 higher) :)

I only ordered one sheet for a test. We will hopefully see how it is this weekend. It's scheduled to be delivered Friday. :)

6 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

For one sheet, the shipping was $11.00

But when I selected 6 sheets, the cost only jumped up to $13.00 total ($3 higher) :)

Check your maths there.

Then we use a 10w LED RGB flood (sitting inside and aimed towards the camera) to try different colors.

DSC08708_zpspkx1lmoz.jpg

DSC08705_zpsbysjsy9k.jpg

DSC08707_zpskvzthivj.jpg

DSC08709_zpscglh1kex.jpg

DSC08706_zpse6fb5fj5.jpg

• Like 4

So then we have a video. Time for a relaxing moment so kick off your shoes, sit back, relax and enjoy the music. :)

And I don't mind sharing the music. B)

th_MOV08712_zpsgperif9a.mp4

• Like 1

That does look great. Can you do a little test for me. Take a strip (CCR, dumb or smart - does not matter), and light or with this material an inch or do in front of the strip. If you don't have any strips you can test with, even a string of mini- lights will do. Then take and post a photo and include information about what the strip spacing is (i.e. 30, 48, 60 pixels per meter), or what the string is if a string, and the spacing from the light source to the plastic. My interest is how well the individual lights are diffused. For my purposes, I want the light to be a completely even diffused light source rather than a bunch of individual light sources.

Thanks.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android