Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving

ebrown1972

I have spent the last 7 months designing my show for this year not to mention that I have switched completely over to RGB. Well, now it looks like we will be moving. We are buying another house. We hope to be moved in by mid August. That will give me about 2 months to reconfigure everything. We are moving from a 2 story home to a single story brick ranch. No more climbing high on ladders which I am thrilled about. The front yard at the new house is nearly a half acre. That will be nice but there is no way I will fill it up this year.

For those of you who have moved were you still able to get your display up and running? How much time did you have after moving? The worst case scenario for me is that I will have a pixel tree, matrix, and some arches, canes, and mini trees. Not sure I will have the time I need for windows or an outline of the house.

I started late last year for my first year into all RGB and pixel display... First part of October.  I was able to build all props and get the display up and sequenced in about 7 weeks for what I consider a pretty large display.  54 mini trees, two pixel trees, 9 large arches, eaves, floods, etc...  Averaging 4 hours of sleep or less and very little work but I got it done.   You should be fine just might not sleep much. I figure I had over 500 hours in 7 weeks getting display done.  Not fun...

41 minutes ago, uncledan said:

I started late last year for my first year into all RGB and pixel display... First part of October.  I was able to build all props and get the display up and sequenced in about 7 weeks for what I consider a pretty large display.  54 mini trees, two pixel trees, 9 large arches, eaves, floods, etc...  Averaging 4 hours of sleep or less and very little work but I got it done.   You should be fine just might not sleep much. I figure I had over 500 hours in 7 weeks getting display done.  Not fun...

Ya that's what I am afraid of, working my butt off to get it done. But the show must go on right! I think I will be fine in the end but I know it will be a challenge!!!!

Congrats on the new home!  The timing kinda sucks as you are right, you don't have much time.  I would be looking for high impact for less work stuff.  Don't even try to get it all operational this year.  Pixel trees and Mega trees have a large WOW factor, even if there is little else there.  Plan on 2017 as the first "full" year, and make 2016 something you can throw together fairly quickly.  You will have enough to do with a new house.

Assuming you have most of the sequences from prior years, look at elements that are used all the time vs once in a while.  For example if you have a pixel tree that is active all the time, you can put up that tree and ignore most of the rest.  Don't even have to re-sequence to take advantage of the tree.  No one will even notice that there was supposed to be 500 other channels that were not setup this year.

Good luck!

I have spent the last 7 months designing my show for this year not to mention that I have switched completely over to RGB. Well, now it looks like we will be moving. We are buying another house. We hope to be moved in by mid August. That will give me about 2 months to reconfigure everything. We are moving from a 2 story home to a single story brick ranch. No more climbing high on ladders which I am thrilled about. The front yard at the new house is nearly a half acre. That will be nice but there is no way I will fill it up this year.

For those of you who have moved were you still able to get your display up and running? How much time did you have after moving? The worst case scenario for me is that I will have a pixel tree, matrix, and some arches, canes, and mini trees. Not sure I will have the time I need for windows or an outline of the house.

I'm in this same situation right now, I just moved 1,200 miles from Massachusetts to central Florida. My biggest issue is I wasn't able to bring all my stuff so some stuff needs to be rebuilt. I'm thinking something small this year to get the neighbors thinking about it and then using the extra time to get a few months jump start on 2017

Well I moved from an "APARTMENT" to a "house" in DECEMBER!   So I had to take everything down I had set up and then re-set it all up at the new house in the yard.   I didn't change anything, I kept the sequences exactly the same, just made sure the right controller was placed with the same items it was controlling.   Took me at that time, about 4, almost 5 days to re-establish everything.   But I got it all together and made it work as it was sequenced.

The following year, everything was changed, modified and sequences updated to reflect all new changes and placement.

You're not too far into the display "crunch-time" as yet, but with what time you have, I think you can still pull off a decent display, just don't try to shift or move everything around this year, save those headaches for 2017.    If you have to use less items and controllers for your 2016 display at the new place, don't worry about it, go bigger and better in 2017.    You new neighbors aren't going to notice the difference from your old display at the new house, at least it's not as likely to occur.

So the next year, when you have more time, can get more of your goodies out, your neighbors will then see a much nicer and larger display.   So you give them a small taste this year and a better show for 2017.

At least that's how I'd handle my display if I moved during crunch time, but I literally moved the 1st week of December and still pulled off a decent Christmas Display and even won 1st prize in the new home at that!   So don't let it get you down, you can still make it work with a little ingenuity and a small amount of work to get it going.

Best of Luck and Congrats on the new home!

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1