Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB LED Strip Placement

laredolights

I have been around the forums for a few years but never really post apart from requesting the shared sequences.

I had been running 16 channels and wanted to upgrade the show, so this year i purchased:

1 CMB24D with 8 RGB led strips
and 2 more CTB16PC

I'm going to use my extra 2 CTB16PC to run singing faces this year (Hopefully).

now here is my question where would you recommend in your opinion the best places to put the RGB Led Strips?
(Picture enclosed)(i really should take another picture without the cars on the drive)

20160612_181118a.jpg

Not sure how long the RGB strips are, or how big your house is nor do I know what you "want" out of the look of your light show. However, if it were me I would do your house as follows:

This year I would line the house with RGB Strips in the area I have outline in blue, and next year I would add RGB strips to the area outline in red. (Obviously you would want to line them up much better than my quick MS paint lines!) ;) Hope this helps a little. 

~Matt

20160612_181118a.thumb.jpg.07183373df09c50475695955056527f8.jpg

Edited by DisneyMatt10

Matt, thanks for the idea of doing it in 2 stages, this might be a good idea as i didn't really want to climb to the very top this year.

this hobby is overwhelming at times and i want to get it all done but it's one step at a time.

^ You're welcome!! 

I've found this hobby gets really overwhelming at times too, however like you said take it just one step at a time.

Try placing the RGB strips in the pixel editor (if they're intelligent) or the sequence editor/visualizer (if they are not intelligent strips) and play around with placement of them until you like how they look. I probably change this year's display 100 times before I settled on something. 

Good luck!!

~Matt

20 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

^ You're welcome!! 

I've found this hobby gets really overwhelming at times too, however like you said take it just one step at a time.

Try placing the RGB strips in the pixel editor (if they're intelligent) or the sequence editor/visualizer (if they are not intelligent strips) and play around with placement of them until you like how they look. I probably change this year's display 100 times before I settled on something. 

Good luck!!

~Matt

These are dumb RGB strips. The OP mentions a CMB24D.

23 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

His roof line is great for this. :)

His roof line is great. I wish I had that roof line, there would be so much more I could do.

Well maybe if you are planning to move to TX and the OP has his house up for sale... You could have that roof line :)

lol I just purchased this house in October my old house didn't have much or a roof line as pictured.

yes the RGB are dumb i don't think I'm ready for the smart ones yet!

1.jpg

21 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

These are dumb RGB strips. The OP mentions a CMB24D.

My apologies. I'm not familiar with the terminology associated with lights and their controllers. 

Can't wait to see what the OP does with the lights! :)

~ Matt

• 3 months later...

A quick update.... got the RGB Strips in place and i love them, made the singing faces and love them, not so keen on my little chasers.... but they work for now. that being said I'm also not a lover of inflatables but the wife wanted one for the show, so we ended up getting a ghost, i had to cut and vampire plug the light connection so i could have it inflated all the time and the lights running on the show, and i have to say i actually like it.  I did have some more lights to go up but 2 things happened, 1st i like the way the RGB Strips look so perfect and straight i didn't think i could do the same with my regular lights so decided not to waste my time and put them up (i think I'm going to go more RGB next year). 2nd had my washing machine flooded the upstairs of my house which leaked downstairs so that's now my priority.  but here is a little video of one of the songs (i had to stop as a few cars were watching the show)...... i would also like to thank everyone in this community for the answers to various questions and sharing sequences, its a great community.