Light-O-Rama Forums

Another strobe question

MAGI47

Last year was our first year having strobes, only had 10 LEDs.  I noticed when first on, they flashed in unison for a second or two and then began to flash randomly.  I read that, for LED strobes, if you "prime" the sequence at a low intensity for about half a second before fully on, they should start flashing randomly.  I haven't tested this yet.  Will it work?

This year, we're adding 40 more LED strobes plus 10 xenon strobes. Will "priming" damage the xenon strobes?

Good question.

With 60 strobes, if anyone can tell even 3 flashed at same time - well, you'd be the only one. Everyone else will just go "WOW!"

Strobes need full voltage, not dimming or lowering intensity or primed. That reduced voltage shortens the life of most strobes.

Edited by Mega Arch
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

With 60 strobes, if anyone can tell even 3 flashed at same time - well, you'd be the only one.

Actually, he wouldn't be the only one.  That many strobes all blinking at the same time is VERY noticeable.  Been there, done that with LED strobes.  I bought fifty of them - I think it was in 2010 - which about doubled my strobe inventory at that time.  The first time I tested those channels I almost cried it looked so bad.  Back then, the LED strobes blinked in unison for about the first seven or eight seconds.  I wound up unplugging most of them and only leaving a few in places where a person couldn't see more than one at a time.  They were on their way to the trash when at the last minute I found someone who was willing to give me a buck each for them.  LED strobes will break your heart and cause neighborhood dogs to poop in your yard.  Stick with xenon.

13 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Actually, he wouldn't be the only one.  That many strobes all blinking at the same time is VERY noticeable.  Been there, done that with LED strobes.  I bought fifty of them - I think it was in 2010 - which about doubled my strobe inventory at that time.  The first time I tested those channels I almost cried it looked so bad.  Back then, the LED strobes blinked in unison for about the first seven or eight seconds.  I wound up unplugging most of them and only leaving a few in places where a person couldn't see more than one at a time.  They were on their way to the trash when at the last minute I found someone who was willing to give me a buck each for them.  LED strobes will break your heart and cause neighborhood dogs to poop in your yard.  Stick with xenon.

I stand corrected:

You & George would notice. 

LED strobes are a waste of money. I can almost guarantee you're going to end up replacing them with U tube xenon strobes in the future. I tube xenon strobes aren't much better.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm hoping that alternating LEDs and xenon on the string will help with randomizing the flashing somewhat, but I'll definitely be replacing the LEDS with xenon next year.  Or least as many as we can afford.

The other thing on the LED strobes, is that they are best viewed looking from the top to the socket. If they lay over, you dont see them as well. I think it was Daryl of Christmas Light Show that was using longer leads on the LEDs to get them more into the lens. Not sure if he still carries those. Even at that, you still only have 1ish strobe per second versus the 3-4 for the Xenon. 

Just as an FYI, using the hexagon shaped strobes, I did a How-To on those for prepping, maintaining and fixing them. I have it on my website on the How_to Page. 

Last I heard, Darryl is stocking a LED strobe that I actually feel is worth owning.  First and only LED strobe I've ever felt that way about. 

It has two "layers" of diodes and they're good and plenty bright - more than his u-tube xenon strobes which are arguably the brightest ones around - and they flash 3-4 times per second.  They're a bit pricey, but IMO well worth it, and a great addition to any strobe collection.

Thanks to all for the input.

Unfortunately, I've already purchased the additional strobes, so I'm stuck with what I have this year. I'll just have to watch where I step. :)