Light-O-Rama Forums

how can you mount rgb strips around windows

USCS31

hi! I have purchased rgb strips to outline my windows. I don't want to put any holes in the border of the glass. they are bay windows. does anyone know of any plastic molding that could possibly snap in place so I could zip tie the strips to them? on each bay window there are four individual windows that I would like to outline individually. thank you!

Depending on how large your windows are... PVC pipe 1/2in to 1in in size. I caulked the strips inside the PVC frame. With caulk it holds the strands in place perfectly. Nice perfect square shape. If they break or stop working they are easy enough to pull right off with caulk. Tried zip ties but on windy days they seemed to slide and offset the window shape and drooped in places. Don't like pulling zip ties really tight because i feel like i am cutting into the strand.

You can cut the PVC down to the size of the window and they make elbows for the corners. Perfect fit. Snaps in and is nice and tight. I have anchors on each side of my frame that slides behind the shutters just to help make sure they do not come out. No bolts... No holes.

With bay windows i don't think you have the inside frame like normal windows. Of course you may be able to frame from inside the bay window. hmmmm You could dab a little caulk in the corners and in the middle of the strip. Stick it up. It will hold nicely. After you are done just pull them down and scrape off what little caulk remains on the bay window. You could also use those Christmas wreath suction cup holders with zip ties but my experience with those is that sometimes they come undone.

If you need pictures of my frames just let me know.

So now you have a few ideas of how to do it without putting holes in anything. :)

Edited by gsmith37064

I too have used the 1/2" pvc. Made my frames, painted them the same color as my window capping but I used the zip ties at every 'cut point' of the strips. Cut and soldered wires at every corner. Because of my frame size, I used leftover J-mold from the vinyl siding. Cut them up to make an "L" screwed them to the frame and inserted the part of the "cut up J" that was sticking out between the capping and the siding. So far I have no issues with wind but I  live on a sheltered street. If the window only has the siding around the full dimensions of the bay window, you could use the "J's" as hooks and hang the frames off the J's around the full bay window? But from my experience, cut the rolled end of the J off or you will catch it on the rolled edge of the siding J's and curse you ever thought of this. LOL Hope this spurs some helpful ideas.

I also use PVC pipe for the frame. I use clear silicone caulk to attach the strips to the PVC. I use pieces of network cable to connect the solder points on the corners. I fill the strip/boot about a half inch deep with silicone, and coat all the connections with silicone. Mine have held up very well in the weather.

If you have a large window or large garage door opening like I do, I screwed a piece of 1/2" conduit to the back of the PVC pipe. The screws need to go all the way through the conduit but only needs to penetrate the back side of the PVC. If I had known it was going to sag beforehand I would have put the conduit inside the PVC. One screw would be enough to hold the conduit in place.

I made my frames out of 15mm pipe. Probably will be re doing them with 22mm as they bend all over the place.

On 6/22/2016 at 3:54 AM, wkm001 said:

Here are a few pictures of my process. Make sure you read the comments on each pic.  https://goo.gl/photos/iPHtNKxHZiCNmFdw6

Really nice. How did you attach the large pixel nodes?

I found that mounting the strips on the outside like that make it really bright. It would color wash my neighbors house across the street.

So in version 2 i put the strips on the inside and now it makes the windows glow. Really good effect. And it's not as bright on the neighbors.

4 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

I found that mounting the strips on the outside like that make it really bright. It would color wash my neighbors house across the street.

So in version 2 i put the strips on the inside and now it makes the windows glow. Really good effect. And it's not as bright on the neighbors.

I mount my strips on the outside of my frames, it lights up the entire street when the house goes white! :D

I feel bad though for the people across the street though as it reflects in their windows.....

So you know exactly what i am talking about :)

But being the good neighbor i redid them to the inside so i would not blind them.

Same here. Window frames light up across the street more than any other lights do. Probably because of the 5050 LEDs which are really bright and quite directional.

The house across the street is white, so it was like a disco.

This year I am replacing the window frames with pixel nodes, because they are much easier to replace and attach to the plastic pipe.

On 6/25/2016 at 7:34 AM, gsmith37064 said:

When I was testing my pixel strips I learned the same thing. Having them facing outwards was way to bright on my neighbors, so I too turned my pixel strips on the inside of my frame, and it creates really awesome effects on the window!!! 

However, I use wood 1 by 2's cut to the perfect size of my window, which once they are wedged in place work great. Painted the wood black, and at night the wood is basically invisible. 

~ Matt

• Like 1

On 6/25/2016 at 4:47 AM, EmmienLightFan said:

I made my frames out of 15mm pipe. Probably will be re doing them with 22mm as they bend all over the place.

Really nice. How did you attach the large pixel nodes?

Hot glue. They pop off every now and then. A few seconds with a lighter and they are good to go. 

I used some of these this year and they work really well. They have different sizes and styles that fit strips to bulbs.

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/60-lighting-clips

They work good on wire-frames and can hold a RGB strip in place. Makes it really easy to replace if needed. I have some left over and will be testing them on the PVC frames.

Bummer... I have not heard that. I guess i need to order some clips real quick then.

I use pixel node mounting strips with strain relief tabs at each corner. Build a square to fit window size, mount (2) hooks in each window corner and attach zip ties from each hook to strain relief tab. Then adjust/tighten zip ties so that mounting strips are level and square. My pixels are at 4" spacing.