Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Faces Support Board

James Hill

I am planning to build my own singing faces with RGB nodes. I understand most have used that plastic corrugated board. What I am interested in is how thick is the recommended board? I have seen a sample and it is about 1/8" thick. Do most people double it up? My display piece for all 4 faces will be about 4X8 and about 812 nodes. I know I will have to build a frame support but what thickness is recommended? Thanks everyone!

try 10MM coro.  I make all of my stands (supports) from 3/4 PVC.  I use a double frame grid to hold the coro.  Even on the large flag (4 ft X 6 ft) with 2941 bulbs the PVC frame holds well.  BIG difference in overall weight over 2 X 4 's .

I was wondering about the 10mm vs. the other thinner material but again....how is everyone cutting the holes for the nodes? Will a drill do? or is there some kind of hole punch? The 10mm is quite rigid. If I double up the smaller stuff it is easier to cut but still wondering how everyone cuts the many holes?

We just finished ours and we used the 4mm Black Coro from Holiday Coro. We framed it out on the back and added cross braces. Worked really well for our application. We Mapped the holes out with the aid of a projector. We had to drill smaller "pilot" holes first then go back with the 1/2" because the drill wanted to tavel a bit on us. To make them the size we needed for the Cosmis Color Pixels we used the 1/2". Hope it helps and yes even drilling the holes you still feel the pain of what feels like a never ending process. That was until we had to push the lights through ! haha hope this helps cant wait to see what you come up with!

Here is a video of use testing ours out. Sorry I took it on my phone quality is not best... I would try to upload photos of the process but I can never seem to get them small enough to post on here!