Light-O-Rama Forums

Ver 2.0.14 locked up

taybrynn

I was actually loving the latest version and used it with great success last night for over 2 hours.

Sometime after midnight, I experienced a complete lockup of the software and it become completely unresponsive to anything, including mouse and keyboard inputs. I opened taskmgr and noticed it was pegging the CPU at 100% ... so after a few minutes, I decided to kill the process.

I had saved only a few minutes earlier ... and I had the animation window open ... may have also maximized it and I believe I might have accidently pressed spacebar as I clicked to go into it [ found myself doing that a lot in the animator window, thinking I would start playback that way]. So I think I tried clicking on the animator play button and it was frozen ... never did playback.

Note: previously, it seemed like I did this same thing many other times and it didn't complain. I simply had to press the play button in the animator instead of spacebar. Perhaps I pressed it very quickly this last time?

What was I doing: I had originally started with a 32 channel sequence (Christmas With a Captal C, LOR II sequence), added 64 channels above the first one and then imported my 64 channel base configuration. I was mostly copying channels from the template channels into my own. Then, started customizing and adding my own stuff as well.

Side note: I did notice that on my T40 laptop, that there was some lag betreen when I would press spacebar and when it actually started playback. Not a ton, but theres a perceptable wait.

Per Dan's reccomendation, I'm posting this lockup incident ... hopefully it helps figure it out. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. I'd be glad to provide my sequence file if necessary.

Scott

So you clicked the play button on the animation window. Do you know what play range was selected and if you had a section highlighed in the grid to play?

Dan,

Unfortunately, it was late and don't recall exactly what I was doing.

I "think" clicking the play button in the animator window is the first thing that didn't work, not necessary the trigger for the infinate looping.

What I was doing was certainly something along the lines of me adding something to the sequence ... then bringing up the animator window (possibly pressing space by accident 1 or more times) ... and then the lockup occurred, or was first observed.

I have used it for the last couple nights and haven't had the same thing happen since. I appreciate your interest in finding and squashing all bugs. It would be helpful if the software kept some kind of debug log somewhere, so I could have submitted my actual actions (via. some log) to you to review.

Scott

• 2 months later...

Guys,

I have seen this and want to bring it back to the forefront. I too have had the SE lock up it seems on playback. Not a lot but in the couple months I have been playing with things at least 4-5 times. It happened last night again.

I did not go look at the taskmgr, and should have, but when it locked up, killing the process would not let go of the task. I could not kill it, nor would it go away. I waited a few minutes, and eventually rebooted the machine. Every time it crashed like this, I have had to reboot.

I was messing around with the play range, and one was in the sequence, but I did not use space bar, rather at that point, play visible screen. It locked up once past that play range because the cursor was not in the shaded section.

Happened again this morning, this time running the VU Wizard. My CPU is 3.2 Ghz P4 with 2Gb Ram. I did have other processes running at the time, Outlook, IE. I checked the taskmgr, the CPU was hardly being accessed. Memory use was close to 1Gb, but you would expect most of that with what I had running.

There is no way to actually terminate the process. Again, I have to reboot to clear it.

Lock up #2 today, this time in playing the full sequence. I could tell it locked up, but the music kept playing until the end. Then reboot. I will keep all the other processes off except for LOR the rest of the evening and see if that does not help. I have to get this small sequence done for the mini on Saturday.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if there was a solution to this "lockup" issue, because I have been getting basically the same problem :X

While in the process of sequencing, I bring up the animation window & click on the *play icon* to see how my changes look and that is when it locks up. Usually I have the play range set to "visible screen". But when it locks up, I'm left with rebooting my laptop and I have lost all the changes I made.

Note:
I just upgraded to version 2.0.16 today, and it's still happening.

A couple questions for people that this happens to:

Does it only happen if you start play by pressing the play button in the Animator? As opposed to by pressing the play button in the main window, or by selecting something from the "Play" menu.

If the answer to that is "no" - i.e. if it happens when you start play in other ways, too - does it only happen if you have the Animator open?

Thanks.

bob wrote:

A couple questions for people that this happens to:

Does it only happen if you start play by pressing the play button in the Animator? As opposed to by pressing the play button in the main window, or by selecting something from the "Play" menu.

If the answer to that is "no" - i.e. if it happens when you start play in other ways, too - does it only happen if you have the Animator open?

Thanks.
Bob,
For me, it locks up when I press the play button in the animator (animation window). I will try using the play button from the main tool bar and see if that makes any difference.