Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB strips left out all year?

Dcroc

I left the Holidaycoro dumb RGB strips around my windows and doors up since October.  They worked fine at the end of Dec.  However, I just fired them up, and I now have dead pixels, and some pixels that don't light the right color.  Kinda thought they would weather a bit better.  Lesson learned. I guess I am replacing about 8 strips.  Money I could have used to add something new.  This sucks.

One piece of advice for you is to seal your ends up with liquid electrical tape.

I lost $700 of pixels in 2014 due to not having the ends properly sealed...

If you sealed the ends on those strips that failed, just take the new strips down after the holidays. I have all of mine on PVC frames.

You could also consider getting ip68 strips but I have heard that they go yellow over time.

I have the landscaping strips up year round.  They've been up for three to four years.  I've been VERY careful to waterproof the strips.

I have never heard of liquid electrical tape!

Is that like putting a bead of silicone caulk on the ends?

Are your strips in direct sunlight?  I too have some up under my eaves all year (for 3 years now) and haven't had any issues really, except for 1 section that gets direct sunlight for most of the afternoon and I've had to replace that one every year.  So this year I took it down.  They rest are shaded for the most part.  And yes mine are all yellowed.

2 hours ago, jamills706 said:

I have never heard of liquid electrical tape!

Is that like putting a bead of silicone caulk on the ends?

Liquid electrical tape is a thick black substance that you can paint over electrical connections, when it drys it becomes kind of rubber in texture.

You usually have to put a few layers on, so this can make it time consuming having to wait for the previous layers to dry. However it provides a great seal!

I then usually cover the liquid electrical tape with real electrical tape to be sure I have a full seal.

Liquid electrical tape can be found at most hardware stores (I get mine at Home depot).

Hello guys! I planned on putting up strips to leave all year(s). The front of my house does not get direct sunlight so will they still yellow? Also most strips will not have to be cut or modified. Do I need to waterproof more than they come to prevent failure? Thanks!

William

• Like 1

The silicon yellowing does not really affect the light output. Mine that are in the sun every day for several years now light just fine. As for the "factory" waterproofing, I can't really comment because I do my own.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk

4 hours ago, wt1924 said:

Hello guys! I planned on putting up strips to leave all year(s). The front of my house does not get direct sunlight so will they still yellow? Also most strips will not have to be cut or modified. Do I need to waterproof more than they come to prevent failure? Thanks!

William

I would think you are OK for the most part, but do you really want to trust them? You can do what I do....:put the whole end of the strip in your mouth and suck.....if the tube collapses or your mouth doesn't hold the vacuum, you may want to re-treat the end. I test factory and my own connections this way. Just don't let anyone with a camera around while you are sucking on the ends of wires;).

Saxon! My HC pre-order just arrived. I will try your method. I really would like them to survive a few years staying outside 365.

This is probably a dumb question, but what are the chances that these strips start working correctly once they dry out for a spell?  Should I just order new ones now?  I find it odd that pixels in the middle are not working, while the ones on the ends are.  

Anyone try the "Flex Seal" products for waterproofing stuff?   I've heard it was pretty good, but haven't tried it on anything yet myself.    Just wondered if anyone has given that product any thought and if it actually works as it's advertised before I spend any money on it.

My landlord has tried it around window A/C unit's but they pretty much all still leaked. Just not as bad. He also tried spraying the edge of my shed, it's metal sitting on a floor with plywood. It still leaks pretty bad.

• The topic was locked