Light-O-Rama Forums

Dummy RGB

JMB72

Since this is my first attempt with Dummy RGB, I have 2 questions.

1) What program do I use to program them (Sequence editor)?

2) What do I need to run power to each RGB strip? I have the power supply, and all the other pieces, but some of the strips are going to be 15+ feet from the power supply & CMB24D. Is there a special extension cord?

Thank you

First of all, it's Dumb RGB, not Dummy RGB.

Dumb RGB can generally be sequenced in Sequence Editor.  I do so for all of my year round landscape lighting (which is almost all RGB).  As those are part of the greater lighting for Christmas, the landscape lighting is sequenced along with everything else in SuperStar for the Christmas show.

15 feet from the CMB24D to dumb strips is no problem.  My longest cable runs for dumb strips is about 50 feet.  I have used 18 gauge zip cord, 16 gauge 4 conductor speaker wire, 12 & 14 gauge THHN (the stuff used for electrical wiring in a house or business that has the wire in conduit).

• Like 1

I realized after I submitted the topic that I had it named wrong. Unfortunately I can not find a way to edit it, and correct it.

Thank you for sharing the info. Is there one that works best?

I see that LOR has 6ft extensions, can you connect multiples together?

What wire I used depended as much as anything of what I had in stock at the time.  Mostly I use 4 conductor 16 gauge speaker wire that I gt from Monoprice.com for RGB lights.

I have never used the LOR extensions, but yes, you should be able to connect multiple extensions together.

Jonathan,

You will find out that when you purchase DUMB RGB's that the waterproof I67/I68 5M strips 59-6.jpg

have a crap connector for outdoor use. This will need to be replaced or waterproof it. They do RUST out really quick if rain hits them. I spent the better half of December working on them because of this. :(

You will also need to stay with one vendor as it seems everyone from LOR, Holidaycoro, Ebay, and Ray all have different connectors. Pisses me off!!!! Are you guys listening? Let's have a standard!! If you go this route which is what i did... Buy a TON of waterproof male/female connectors and put them on yourself. That way everything matches up. You can save a lot getting what you need from EBAY. But buying state side is a lot faster on shipping. China takes 2-3 weeks sometimes.

These will be your friend when you replace the connectors.

177-2.jpg

This is the type of connector you want to look for. Just remember that all vendors seem to have different ends and they are not compatible with each other.

725-2.jpg

10pcs-lot-3-Core-BLACK-Waterproof-pigtai

NOTE: You will need the 4 pin pig tail though. The above picture is 3 pin.

Jim is spot on with is post. 18 gauge 4pin wire will get you 50 foot from the controller with no issues. I think my longest run was 60 foot. And no voltage drop off.

695-2.jpg

Edited by gsmith37064
  • Like 1

I would like to thank HOLIDAYCORO.COM for having stock photo's that i used for this. :)

Once again, I have to say thank you for all the info. I have a good idea how I am going to power to everything.

I do have another question, and that is what do you use to secure the strips to the house?

I used these from holidaycoro to secure the strip to the house.   http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Strip-Holder-p/766.htm  Can get a little pricy depending how much you need but makes for a clean display.  I left them up and you can barely tell they're on the house.  Diffusing the strip looks a lot better in my opinion.  All my eaves utilize the strip holder from holidaycoro.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOprGklzGFg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, uncledan said:

I used these from holidaycoro to secure the strip to the house.   http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Strip-Holder-p/766.htm  Can get a little pricy depending how much you need but makes for a clean display.  I left them up and you can barely tell they're on the house.  Diffusing the strip looks a lot better in my opinion.  All my eaves utilize the strip holder from holidaycoro.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOprGklzGFg

+1  I love this!

Just chiming in here - Light-O-Rama sells both 10- and 20-foot extensions for their 10W RGB floods.  I believe they work with their dumb RGB strips as well.  I don't know the specs though - such as wire gauge.

On 5/21/2016 at 1:06 AM, uncledan said:

Really nice display along with really nice edits on your videos :-)

I know this is off topic, but maybe not. Your rgb spots, what are you using? Considering changing out mine. Also how many pixels are you using on your mini trees? Considering changing mine out from the dumb rgb's.

5 hours ago, Robert Burton said:

Really nice display along with really nice edits on your videos :-)

I know this is off topic, but maybe not. Your rgb spots, what are you using? Considering changing out mine. Also how many pixels are you using on your mini trees? Considering changing mine out from the dumb rgb's.

Thanks, the floods are the 10w LOR RGB Floods.  Each mini tree had 100 dumb bullet nodes controlled by LOR CMB24d's. 

Really?!?  Dumb nodes on the mini trees!  That is really good sequencing my friend. That is also A LOT of LOR CMB24d's ;-)

yep they were dumb.  Xlights did the effects generating not me :D.  Don't think I spent more than 4-5 hours on a song.  I have 12 CMB24d's running the floods and mini trees.  Have purchased 5400 pixels to redo the mini trees.  Having second thoughts on that now.  I just made them 6 months ago..

• The topic was locked