Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting floodlights

grillhappy

This will be my second Christmas with LOR.  This year, I am adding four 50W RGB floodlights to my display.  For those of you who have already incorporated floodlights, I'd like ideas as to how to mount them, both for ground and roof use.  Does shining them on a roof work? 

Oh yeah - for your question, they will shine and light up whatever you point at very nicely. Here's a short look at what 2 floods can do. 

https://youtu.be/vWLlx6ZIhWc

Edited by Mega Arch
Url

Thanks, looks great!  But how do you fasten the floodlights to the ground?  Do you bolt the mounting bracket into wood and then stake the wood down into the ground?  Do you use poles?  My floods don't have stakes; just a mounting bracket.

I did not see your earlier post. Thanks for the link.  And thanks for sharing your family display.  Great display; awesome song - one I'm sequencing for my display this Christmas.

Rebar/PVC pipe and milk cartons.  Two good ideas.  I like the rebar idea better because that make a smaller footprint.  Do you padlock your floods (if so, how)? Also, has putting floods on a roof worked for you or for anyone else who reads this post?

Now that I've seen MrP's response and pics, I'm also considering the milk carton idea again.  This is great for storing the floods/power supplies also!  Thanks for sharing this idea with me.

10 minutes ago, grillhappy said:

Rebar/PVC pipe and milk cartons.  Two good ideas.  I like the rebar idea better because that make a smaller footprint.  Do you padlock your floods (if so, how)? Also, has putting floods on a roof worked for you or for anyone else who reads this post?

Yes, I padlock everything to the ground - see below thread.

Haven't mounted to the house. I leave them on the rebar year round. During the Christmas Show Season, it's easier to move back into the yard. Just pound more rebar.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/40189-light-show-theftvandalism/&do=findComment&comment=370095

If they are close enough, run metal cable through them with a loop on each end and padlock them. I do this for my mini-trees and other props to keep from just pulling/lifting and running away.

My mini trees are 8 each on each side of the driveway and 10 feet apart. I run 80 feet of metal cable through each one from end to end on each side of the driveway and padlocked on each end.

Been doin that since 2006. Haven't lost anything as of yet.

Good luck,

Tom

Your advice is just what I need.  Thanks.  Perhaps others will read this also and benefit from your experience on this topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Grill happy, I just saw your post and wanted to,share a post I submitted in December if you are looking for a different idea.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/39306-stand-for-lor-rgb50-flood-lights/#comment-360558

These are awesome flood lights.  I recently bight two more to bring my total to eight.  Perfectly even coverage by to the roof of a two story house.  Hope this helps as well.

John

I should have read the thread more thoroughly, it appears Mr. P already posted the link to my previous thread.  Oh, I second his suggestion.

Well, NJ John, you provided the inspiration for the milk crates and that is exactly what I'm doing.  My hearty thanks to you for so fine an idea.  One question:  what software are you using to program these lights?  I cannot find info on the programming of them, outside of a YouTube video by Listentoourlights (John Storms).  Do you use Superstar?  XLights?  Something else?  Do you know of any links that might help me?  I really look forward to using the four 50W CC RGB lights I'm adding to my display this year.  I won't need eight, like you have (my home isn't that big).

The lights are very easy to program as they work just like dumb RGB. You can sequence them in all the programs you listed and they are simple enough that you can program them in SE very easily as well.

Edited by Mr. P

Maybe it's because they're too easy to program that I don't see any video tutorials about this.  I'll get to going on it and I should learn by doing.  Thanks, Mr. P.

I bought some Conduit Hangers for less than a buck at Home depot and drove some left over PVC pipe in the ground like a stake and hung them  a couple feet off the ground facing the house. You just bolt the Light Bracket to the Hanger and make sure to angle it how you want and tighten everything down.  I actually hang my controllers for the Mega Tree to the Pole the same way.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-1-4-in-X-1-1-2-in-Conduit-Hanger-67830/100152234

Light Hanger.jpg

Great idea, Little B.  Thanks for sharing it.  I know others can benefit from your experience also.

Grillhappy

I live in the red clay area of the earth. I too use PVC, but would take a month before I could drive in the PVC. So I drive in rebar and slide the PVC over it. 

And, if you have punks in the neighborhood, padlock them & your controllers to the ground!

FLOOD.jpg_zpsymecocvu.png

CONTROLLERW_ANCHOR_zps34d81d28.png

Edited by Mega Arch