Light-O-Rama Forums

Question on 50W Floods

gmac

Just got thru configuring my new 5ow floods, and I was wondering since the floods are water resistant , what about the power supply ....should I keep them in some waterproof container since I live in Ohio and the weather here in Nov. and Dec. consists mostly wet snow and rain.........thank you in advance for any input

They are supposed to be waterproof, but if you can put them underneath the flood or something and mount horizontally to stop water running down the wires and getting inside.

I had a little water trouble at first - but it was the water was coming into the cat5 connectors and not the power supply.

But to solve both areas, put a dab of silicone where the cable enters the power supply and on the top of the connectors.

Oh, and padlock them to the ground so they don't run off in the night..

FLOOD.jpg_zpsymecocvu.png

Thanks for the reply's ..........and thank you for the picture, I had just finished up drawing what I consider a elaborate way to set up the floods with a 1/4" bar and drilling and welding 2 bolts to the other side of the bar to mount the flood on and then welding 2 1/2" rods to stick in the ground to support them ......Then I see your pic and what a simple and good way to mount them (Talk about over engineering....That's me LOL) and that will save me a ton of work.

It looks like you put a rod into the ground and slid a pipe over the rod to hold it up (is that correct?)  My question is how did you mount the flood light to the pipe? I see some type of clamp but can't make it out.... if I understand the pic correctly ? Approx. how long is the pipe that you mounted the flood on to?

Edited by gmac
typos

41 minutes ago, gmac said:

Thanks for the reply's ..........and thank you for the picture, I had just finished up drawing what I consider a elaborate way to set up the floods with a 1/4" bar and drilling and welding 2 bolts to the other side of the bar to mount the flood on and then welding 2 1/2" rods to stick in the ground to support them ......Then I see your pic and what a simple and good way to mount them (Talk about over engineering....That's me LOL) and that will save me a ton of work.

It looks like you put a rod into the ground and slid a pipe over the rod to hold it up (is that correct?)  My question is how did you mount the flood light to the pipe? I see some type of clamp but can't make it out.... if I understand the pic correctly ? Approx. how long is the pipe that you mounted the flood on to?

I have more than one flood and the pipe length varies. Approximately 2-1/2ft is average. I have 2 running year round on my flag pole. Pretty cool in stand-alone mode running red, white, blue rotations on my flag during the 4th etc. 

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a 10Ft piece of 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" PVC pipe. Electrical or plumbing, doesn't matter. Cut to length and paint flat black so doesn't reflect your other Christmas lights. Buy a couple of the electrical clamps they call minis. Slide PVC over rebar. That way they are easily moved into their Christmas flooding area and then back to landscaping. Just remember to take back off of stand-alone mode and vise-versa. 

Good luck. 

There was somebody on here last year who mounted the floods on upside down plastic milk crates. They zip tied everything to the sides and when the season was complete they took everything apart, put everything inside the crate then stacked the crates for storage.

I don't remember who it was but I thought it was a good idea.

I believe the 50W floods are IP67. Here is how to interpret what that means. IP67 means it is dust tight and can handle being submerged for a little over a minute. I'll let someone else test that out on their floods though :)

60dfcc0becaadc0403baac074cfd676c

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

I have more than one flood and the pipe length varies. Approximately 2-1/2ft is average. I have 2 running year round on my flag pole. Pretty cool in stand-alone mode running red, white, blue rotations on my flag during the 4th etc. 

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a 10Ft piece of 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" PVC pipe. Electrical or plumbing, doesn't matter. Cut to length and paint flat black so doesn't reflect your other Christmas lights. Buy a couple of the electrical clamps they call minis. Slide PVC over rebar. That way they are easily moved into their Christmas flooding area and then back to landscaping. Just remember to take back off of stand-alone mode and vise-versa. 

Good luck. 

Just got home, I actually just used 1" PVC. Sorry for any confusion. 

• 4 weeks later...

Gmac

Here is the thread Mr. P was referring to. I posted it in December and the beauty of this set up was that you DIDN'T need to take it apart at the end of the season, I just stacked them on top of each other with the light still mounted on the milk crate. It offers great protection for the lights.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/39306-stand-for-lor-rgb50-flood-lights/#comment-360558

These are awesom floods.  I just bought two more to bring my total to eight. Perfectly even coverage to the roof on a two story house.  Hope this helps.

John