Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Show Theft/Vandalism?

DisneyMatt10

29 minutes ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

We are actually drilling a hole from the garage, through the brick to the outside of the garage. Basically like a dryer vent. That way there will be no more extension cords running under the garage door! :)

Depending on the location of your service panel you could probably add yourself a couple outlets right outside that wall utilizing the hole to run the pvc conduit, not really that difficult and relatively affordable esp if you have space in your service box.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George Simmons said:

I was thinking the same thing...

Sounds like we've both visited CCU nurses the same number of times.

Heart attack, triple-bypass, and four years later a matching set of stints!! :)   CCU nurses are the greatest (as well as ER, had my heart attack in the ER and they only sent the pretty ones)!!! lol

34 minutes ago, caniac said:

Heart attack, triple-bypass, and four years later a matching set of stints!! :)   CCU nurses are the greatest (as well as ER, had my heart attack in the ER and they only sent the pretty ones)!!! lol

My 2nd MI was also in ER during a liver failure. My wife was with me so I had one pretty nurse. However I remember the mean old not so pretty one jamming a needle in my stomach, without warning and no food or drink as they prepped my for OR. I was the youngest person on heart ward carying around "the brick". My roomy was 92 years old kept having war flashbacks. Scary!

14 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

My 2nd MI was also in ER during a liver failure. My wife was with me so I had one pretty nurse. However I remember the mean old not so pretty one jamming a needle in my stomach, without warning and no food or drink as they prepped my for OR. I was the youngest person on heart ward carying around "the brick". My roomy was 92 years old kept having war flashbacks. Scary!

for the bypass I had solo quarters so that wasn't bad, for stints my roomy was mid-40's smoked heavy construction worker who got two stints also (must have been a special on pairs).

2 hours ago, caniac said:

for the bypass I had solo quarters so that wasn't bad, for stints my roomy was mid-40's smoked heavy construction worker who got two stints also (must have been a special on pairs).

Luckily I have had no stents- even after 2. i was early 30's for first and late 30's for #2 and in the best physical shape in my life. Worked out 2x day 6 days a week at Fort Drum even in sub zero temps- go figure.

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Luckily I have had no stents- even after 2. i was early 30's for first and late 30's for #2 and in the best physical shape in my life. Worked out 2x day 6 days a week at Fort Drum even in sub zero temps- go figure.

Matters little grasshoper!! My dad was retired Army special ops, had five heart attacks and a quadruple bypass, walked 5miles a day every day.  Ticker finally gave out on him at 68.  My heart attack and bypass was at 55.  When it's your time it's your time, just go kicking and screaming!! :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, caniac said:

Matters little grasshoper!! My dad was retired Army special ops, had five heart attacks and a quadruple bypass, walked 5miles a day every day.  Ticker finally gave out on him at 68.  My heart attack and bypass was at 55.  When it's your time it's your time, just go kicking and screaming!! :) 

Exactly, everyday when I wake up the first thing I do is thank god for another day, kiss my little boys and wife, then take them to school hoping I will pick them up at the end of the day. Never ending cycle.

thats my belief since I can remember , god has a plan and when my # is called then nothing anyone can do.

I've been living life one day at a time since 1993.  Took a while to get used to, but reaching the point where I don't give a rip about lots of things that others get their shorts in a knot over is worth the struggle.

Two stents must be the usual dosage.  Me too.

50 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

I've been living life one day at a time since 1993.  Took a while to get used to, but reaching the point where I don't give a rip about lots of things that others get their shorts in a knot over is worth the struggle.

Two stents must be the usual dosage.  Me too.

exactly!!  My fun started in 2012, so many things my dad didn't tell me about having a bypass!!!  Stints went in last August because two of the bypasses closed (not unusual, if it is gonna happen it usually happens at the four year mark.  lucky me).  Take it a day at a time and make the most of each day.

2 hours ago, caniac said:

exactly!!  My fun started in 2012, so many things my dad didn't tell me about having a bypass!!!  Stints went in last August because two of the bypasses closed (not unusual, if it is gonna happen it usually happens at the four year mark.  lucky me).  Take it a day at a time and make the most of each day.

Our situations could actually be made into another forum. I will add you to my prayers.

JR

5 minutes ago, caniac said:

Bacon Lover's with cardiac issues and a Christmas Light Addiction?

Post it up. We kind of hijacked this thread.

JR

The thread was ripe for harvesting.

I'm sure somewhere on farcebook there's already a MI survivors group we could slot into without even causing a ripple.

Maybe someday when I'm not so lazy I'll look for it.  But first, there's teardown, then yard work, camping, prop season, more camping (if you call a motel room on wheels camping), more props, more yardwork, and then setup begins.  Not sure there's much extra time for a pity party.  Maybe after Thanksgiving...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

The thread was ripe for harvesting.

I'm sure somewhere on farcebook there's already a MI survivors group we could slot into without even causing a ripple.

Maybe someday when I'm not so lazy I'll look for it.  But first, there's teardown, then yard work, camping, prop season, more camping (if you call a motel room on wheels camping), more props, more yardwork, and then setup begins.  Not sure there's much extra time for a pity party.  Maybe after Thanksgiving...

I am on so many health forums but get I'd join another one. LOL

Then the cycle repeats, not much time for anything else

Edited by dibblejr

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Our situations could actually be made into another forum. I will add you to my prayers.

JR

you will be praying alot, I have all sorts of issues and not all of them are medical!! :)

I ran 2 controllers this year. One was on our porch about 5 feet from the door and secured to the side railing and a big flower pot in front of it. The other one was at the end of our driveway attached to the fence so when I pulled all the way in you couldn't really see the box.

For my wire frame items I used stakes to hold them down and my blow molds were secured to wood boards that were then staked into the ground.

Someone could have came into the yard and taken an item by unplugging and then ripping it out of the ground but if someone really wants to take something they will do it regardless. My dog also barks when any person even walks into the church across the street let alone our yard so I would know and quickly be out there.

There is so much construction in my area that the only thing I thought would ever be stolen was power cords. Never happened.

The one night I had a flat tire on my car (in my garage) I figured Id rotate all the tires and it got dark so I left the car jacked up, shut the garage door. Unbeknown to me one of the brand new wheels and tire rolled out of the garage and fell over at the driveway.

Next morning I go out to finish the job and 3 wheels. I looked across the street where there is a big drop off and into the river. Figure I lost it. I purchased a new wheel and tire and 3 days later it showed up on Craigslist. It was my racing Mazda Miata so not an every day wheel let alone wheel tire combo. I replied and met the guy. Asked how they only had 1 wheel. Real old guy and lady like 70's. I believed their story and paid $100 for my wheel and tire. (crack money for a $900 combo)

Went back to my home, looked at my video footage and at about 5:00 am a huge contractor pu truck and trailer had taken the wheel out of my driveway. They were easy to find because I could see the rest of our subdivision that was being added on. I basically followed the video right to the home they were building. Of course nobody knew anything until my LEO friends showed up.

The supervisor pleaded for me not to press charges "honest mistake"! Since they walked up my driveway and I paid for the assembly I was mad, all 4 of them were charged 1 with theft, 2 with accessory and the old man for theft by deception. There is a huge sign now alerting contractors "If you didn't bring it with you, do not take it out of the neighborhood.

That was the last time I have ever had anything taken, word of video security and that they can be seen gets around quick. Now I am in a new area and have doubled my cameras and driveway/ yard alert system. No probs at all.

Edited by dibblejr

Just never letting anyone think they have the opportunity to ruin your show is the best security you can have.

Design everything to look and feel secure. The things we use are cheap enough to be replaced if stolen. (corrugated plastic, PVC, a few light strings) Sure, someone *could* in theory steal all of this stuff. Is it worth getting bent out of shape over... $10-15 worth of equipment? No, not in my opinion. What are they going to do with coroplast, PVC, and a few christmas light strings? Not very much, in my opinion.

Just my two pennies. Keeping the valuable items out of reach or visibility is the quintessential piece to equipment security.

35 minutes ago, lightingnewb said:

Just never letting anyone think they have the opportunity to ruin your show is the best security you can have.

Design everything to look and feel secure. The things we use are cheap enough to be replaced if stolen. (corrugated plastic, PVC, a few light strings) Sure, someone *could* in theory steal all of this stuff. Is it worth getting bent out of shape over... $10-15 worth of equipment? No, not in my opinion. What are they going to do with coroplast, PVC, and a few christmas light strings? Not very much, in my opinion.

Just my two pennies. Keeping the valuable items out of reach or visibility is the quintessential piece to equipment security.

I agree, this is a college town and don't know that I have had anything of any real value stolen except this year and it was only one mini-tree.  So now I have nine, if Walmart gets the same tomato trellises in this year then problem solved for $12 (I have tons of extra LED lights).  If not then will look at another solution.  Year before our 9ft inflatable fuzzy Santa bear got violated, she is with child and we will DNA test when the little one is here.  Given the limited gene pool here it should be easy to figure out. :)

• Like 1