Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Show Theft/Vandalism?

DisneyMatt10

16 minutes ago, DevMike said:

If a cord is going by something solid (say like a post you have a controller attached to, a tree, mailbox, whatever), wrap around it once or twice, or even tie a knot.  if someone does grab something and pull, they will only get that one item (since it will 'unplug itself' from the secured cord).

One other advantage to securing cables like this.  If YOU or someone else trips over cable in your yard, they are not going to rip the RJ-45 connector off the board of the nearest controller.

Here is an idea for the controllers.    

Attach two pieces of PVC to the back of the controllers  vertically  (schedule 40),long enough to leave 18 inches or so beyond the bottom of the controller box's (more if you expect deep snow). If you use conduit clam shells you can put a sheet metal screw through the clamp and through the PVC.  Drive some re-bar (or 1/2" metal conduit into the ground where you want the controllers). The screws will prevent the re-bar from going all the way through the PVC and keep the controller standing up.  Leave enough re-bar sticking our of the ground to slip the PVC on the controllers over.   The screws in the clamp will prevent the re-bar from going all the way through the PVC.  This will not only keep the controllers off the ground but keep them vertical.   Place a plastic bag over the controllers (1 to help weatherproof and 2 to help make them less visible). 

Edited by jerrymac

So, thinking about controller safety... Does anyone else keep their controllers inside, and just run extension cords to the props?? 

I know this may seem excessive, but thankfully we have a small corner lot, and I can place all of our controllers on the wall in the garage, and simply run extension cords out to all the props. No extension cord will have to be over 75ft at the longest. Tips/Thoughts?
~Matt

Edited by DisneyMatt10

2 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

So, thinking about controller safety... Does anyone else keep their controllers inside, and just run extension cords to the props?? 

Absolutely.  Some people do it exactly that way.  Also avoids and water in controller problems.

That would be well over 200 extension cords running into the garage.  I considered that early on.  However, it would mean the cords would run under the door, and that just isn't going to work.  Would love to know how you people manage that?

I keep my controllers as close to their props as possible..the less extension cord length the btter!  While I agree and use most of the security tips stated above, I also use 1/4" cable to secure EVERYTHING in my yard together ending at a tree. Cable and clamps are cheap.  Since most theft is spur of the moment, grab and run type of theft (they aren't carrying bolt cutters with them) they had better have a really big truck because they are either taking it all or none!

On 7/3/2016 at 3:56 PM, DisneyMatt10 said:

Some people do. It won't add to your security, however (see above post saying how many reports of controllers stolen (none)). It would make it easy to access and repair controllers, but they are very dependable in their enclosures, so that isn't a good reason either.

• Like 2

Keeping them indoors isn't a bad idea, but it probably isn't necessary for most neighborhoods and could increase your risk to your home in a very unlikely catastrophic failure.  Early on as newbies who've seen plenty of static displays ravaged by vandalism and theft over the years, we started out putting controllers into locked storage toughboxes/footlockers chained to big stakes in the ground.  It was more trouble than it was worth for us.  We use mounting frames now for quicker access to the cords and while they're still chained to a stake, our best defense is to make sure the controllers just aren't in plain sight.    Incorporate them into your display to add camouflage and minimize cord lengths.  We have about half our controllers at the second story height (i.e. very near the faces).  The others are fastened directly onto the bulky and heavy manger scene, within the props, on the tree trunks, behind nearby bushes, etc. 

Oddly enough, Steven's observation is exactly right - even though there's a significant investment with intelligent controllers, there are few complaints of stolen controllers on the forums.   Carefully consider the hours of your show as that can be one of your best theft deterrents.   Blinky displays tend to draw more people for longer periods of time than static displays and your guests kinda serve as free "Security Guards" for you.   Happy Lighting!      

• 6 months later...

I secure my controllers. I use an idea that I got from Family Handyman years ago. Take a two foot piece of schedule 40 pvc pipe 3" in length with a threaded coupler end and plug. I dig two feet deep, and I drive a piece of rebar deeper into the ground.  Place schedule 40 pipe into the hole with the top level or below grade and pour concrete into the piece of pipe stopping short of the top. While the concrete is wet I sink a eye bolt with a nut and washer and leave only the eye portion visible.  The plug keeps water and dirt out of the pipe until I need a security point. I paint the top to blend through out the year. I blends and I can run my mower right over it.

here is a link   http://www.familyhandyman.com/home-security/how-to-stop-thieves#13 

• Like 1

My losses have been minimal and none occurred until I moved to Nebraska.  This year someone stole one of my mini-tree's!!  I kid you not, a tomato cage mini-tree with two strands of lights!!  Last year someone "violated" our 9ft fuzzy Santa bear (found him bent over in the front yard), 6 months of therapy later he/she is able to smile again.

IMO our displays are not ideal for thieves in that our controllers are not hot items for a pawn shop.  Technology in them is nothing earth shattering and you pretty much have to be a LOR or xLights user to get any use out of them.  Only issues I have had with extension cords has been squirrel related and again a Nebraska thing, here dogs and cats MUST be on a leash so given that we have some very arrogant squirrels/rabbits.

License plate cam solves it all good one cost 219.00 works amazing caught nine criminals this year stealing from my neighbors but not me i have cams everywhere. 

7 minutes ago, Derkngoogly said:

License plate cam solves it all good one cost 219.00 works amazing caught nine criminals this year stealing from my neighbors but not me i have cams everywhere. 

I think when things get to that point I will just pull the plug on my show and take up knitting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derkngoogly said:

Geez sounds like a crime spree!  I'm thinking I won't be moving to Arkansas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caniac said:

I think when things get to that point I will just pull the plug on my show and take up knitting.

I didn't know that bacon could be knitted.

7 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

I was thinking the same thing...

Sounds like we've both visited CCU nurses the same number of times.

more than you can imagine, I hope. Never fun and my wife is a heart transplant coordinator. With that I don't even qualify for a transplant!

On 7/4/2016 at 10:56 AM, Dcroc said:

That would be well over 200 extension cords running into the garage.  I considered that early on.  However, it would mean the cords would run under the door, and that just isn't going to work.  Would love to know how you people manage that?

We are actually drilling a hole from the garage, through the brick to the outside of the garage. Basically like a dryer vent. That way there will be no more extension cords running under the garage door! :)

Edited by DisneyMatt10