Light-O-Rama Forums

Universe??

gsmith37064

I have the CCR coming next month from Holidaycoro and trying to figure out what a universe is.

Can the 16 ccr strands work as 1 universe or is it 1 universe per ccr strand for a total of 16 universes?

Or would universe 1 be my ccr tree and universe 2 be my house and universe 3 be my ghost/tree props? Does the universe make it a little easier to group props together? Is it like the create group function under SE?

Edited by gsmith37064

One Universe is 512 chanels. Since an RGB device takes 3 chanels per pixel,  you can pack up to 170 pixels per Universe with two odd chanels left over.

23 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

One Universe is 512 chanels. Since an RGB device takes 3 chanels per pixel,  you can pack up to 170 pixels per Universe with two odd chanels left over.

So the 16 ccr strand tree will need 5 universes then seeing how it's 2400 channels? That means 5 IP address's?

and so a typical string is 50 pixels or 150 channels.  A lot of people with CCR trees just call that one universe and set the next string to the next universe number, you can keep adding to the 170 but then you will be a pixel packer.  Either way will work but the one universe per string may make it easier later on in your setup if you change things around and need to move things.

1 minute ago, gsmith37064 said:

So the 16 ccr strand tree will need 5 universes then seeing how it's 2400 channels? That means 5 IP address's?

No one IP address for the RGB device then the device controls the pixels

1 minute ago, Bizywk said:

Plus the star if you're using RGB for that too.

Let's not push our luck just yet :)

LOL.  Once you get on a roll, its hard to stop.       

When you get around to planning your RGB star, give me a shout.  I may be able to help.

58 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

I have the CCR coming next month from Holidaycoro and trying to figure out what a universe is.

First of all, it's not a CCR.  A CCR is a specific device called a Cosmic Color Ribbon built by LightORama.  What HolidayCoro is selling as a similar product, but is controlled very different.  By referring to it as a CCR will only add confusion.  What you are buying is a smart pixel strip (or ribbon).  The LOR CCR uses a controller that gets it's data via a LOR RS-485 serial data circuit.  Smart pixel strips are normally driven by an E1.31 controller which gets it's data from your show PC via ethernet.

1 hour ago, gsmith37064 said:

Can the 16 ccr strands work as 1 universe or is it 1 universe per ccr strand for a total of 16 universes?

Or would universe 1 be my ccr tree and universe 2 be my house and universe 3 be my ghost/tree props? Does the universe make it a little easier to group props together? Is it like the create group function under SE?

You can use one universe per string, or you can pack them with up to 170 pixels per universe.  If you packed pixels, a 16 string tree of 50 pixels each would be 800 pixels total which would take all of four universes and a portion of a fifth universe.

18 minutes ago, Grinch said:

and so a typical string is 50 pixels or 150 channels.  A lot of people with CCR trees just call that one universe and set the next string to the next universe number, you can keep adding to the 170 but then you will be a pixel packer.  Either way will work but the one universe per string may make it easier later on in your setup if you change things around and need to move things.

So 1 strand = 1 universe = 1 IP address? So the tree in this scenario would be 16 IP's?

19 minutes ago, Grinch said:

No one IP address for the RGB device then the device controls the pixels

Ahh so the controller has the IP which is the 1 universe??

1 minute ago, gsmith37064 said:

So 1 strand = 1 universe = 1 IP address? So the tree in this scenario would be 16 IP's?

No  One IP address, and in the above example 16 universes with the same IP address 

Just now, Grinch said:

No  One IP address, and in the above example 16 universes with the same IP address 

I have watched so many videos and read everything i could find and still clueless over all. I think it will be easier once the tree gets here and i get to play with it. Right now i just can't wrap my head around it. I am sure it's something simple that i am missing and once i figure that out it all will be clear.

The software will control each pixel by the channel number assigned to the pixels in the sequence editor.  LOR just needs to know which device (IP address of the board) that has those pixels. 

39 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

I have watched so many videos and read everything i could find and still clueless over all. I think it will be easier once the tree gets here and i get to play with it. Right now i just can't wrap my head around it. I am sure it's something simple that i am missing and once i figure that out it all will be clear.

Once you get the lights you will see it sounds more complicated then it really is. If you get into trouble, there is always help right here.  Just post or send me a pm, we will work it out

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Once you get the lights you will see it sounds more complicated then it really is. If you get into trouble, there is always help right here.  Just post or send me a pm, we will work it out

Sounds like a plan to me :)

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

What controller are you using?

It comes with the alphapix 16.

Only one I.P. address needed per controller and since you only have the Alphapix 16 only one IP address is needed.  The Alphapix 16 comes with a default IP address but you can set it to whatever you want if needed.  You will use a web browser to access the setup to the Alphapix 16.  It will have 16 outputs and each output can be assigned up to 2 universes.  The simplest setup for a 12 strip pixel tree is to have each pixel strip connected to a separate output.  With only one universe assigned to each output giving a total universe count of 12 for the pixel tree.  Output 1 = Universe 1, Output 2 = Universe 2, Output 3 = Universe 3 and so on.  So each strip will be connected to it's own output and have it's own universe assigned.  This is how I did it and It's not the most efficient way but it is the simplest. 

Maybe this might help you understand about the IP for the controller and the universe in the controller. Let's use you home as an example, for the delivery of your new controller to make it to your house, you had to give them your street name and 1 address number, along with a few other info to get to your house. With out that 1 and only 1 address number your controller will just be going up & down your street not knowing the exact house to go to. Now within the house with an address number there are 6 room, room 1- room 6, that would be your universe except 16 universes on your AlphaPix 16. That IP address assigned to your controller will get your light commands to the correct controller once your settings are all configured in LOR network configuration and the correct universe once configured sequence editor.

• Like 1