Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 initial setup

zvacman

I built two E682 controllers this winter.  After watching Clyde's 4 or 5 part video series on setting up E1.31 on windows 7 twice I decided to try it. the only real differences are that I am using windows 8 and the IP address of my controller is different than the one he was putting in.  I am in way over my head.  I have my RG485 dongle plugged in, the listener is running, shows are disabled.  Comm 4 is assigned to my 5 110V LOR controllers and the wired network I created is set to the default E682 IP address (192.168.1.206 ). I plug the cat5 cable in and power up the controller and I get nothing.  What am I missing?  Do I need to shut off my wireless to the laptop? If so why? Also, do I plug the cat5 into the laptop or the dongle?  This is just the beginning of the million questions I'm going to ask, sorry. Any help would be great, thanks.

Z

What are you connecting the E-682 controller to. What is the IP address of your computer you need to know that first 

Edited by Dennis Laff

Dennis:

I've only tried connecting it to the laptop.  I thought the dongle speaks a different language.?

Z

E131 is easy. It's probably something small you are missing. Licence level of your software??I don't know personally about the e682 but a lot of controllers don't work with a direct connection u must got to a network switch or router of some sort. Your computer must be in the same ip range i.e. 192.168.1.??? If that's what the e682 ip is. U have the set your network preferences to send your universe to the e682 IP address then restart everything even the comm listener.

You connect to the Ethernet port on computer but you need to know the I P address of your computer to see if the default address of the controller is in the range of your computer if not you change the default address of the controller to match your computer 

I have no idea what my computers address is or how to find out. I have an 8 port gigabit (router?) that I'll need to use but right now I'm plugged directly into the lap top cat5 output. I have the Pro level license.

Z

You don't need a lor lic to setup the controller I have 5 Sandevice controllers.   Plug the controller into the Ethernet port and type in the default address of controller in the http line on computer and hit enter the E682 configuration page should appear on the screen if your in the right IP address of your computer 

Edited by Dennis Laff

Go to start type in cmd hit enter it should bring up a command window then type ipconfig and hit enter it should show you all your computers IP addressing

so you have to change the ip address on the E682 controller, to do that you press the program button on controller o force a temporary ip address