Light-O-Rama Forums

Help setting up prop

Little_b

I have read and watched many tutorials now and still haven't quite had that "ah ha" moment everyone has been talking about.  I have built a large matrix and have used PE so far for all my effects.  I have played with the SS Demo and want to incorporate it's effects this year.  So here are a couple of questions/ issues I'm having:

1- are the only props used in SS the ones created in Visualizer?  If so that may be where I'm struggling.  I have a Matrix larger than what it will allow me to build, (126 x 63).  I was able to build half of it in Visualizer, but because it's not completely square, I can't get the other half to line up.  IE Pixel 1 (in the 2nd half)  starts half way in a vertical run, but Visualizer creates it at the top.

2- on the image files, can you insert a jpeg, or GIF type file, or do I have to re-draw them?

I think setting up my matrix is the one big hurdle I'm having. Once I get that worked out I can play with the rest to figure it out. I understand how to use the program and am excited to use it.

So for my Matrix I am using 2- Pixcon16 Controllers and WS2811 Pixel Nodes

Edited by Little_b

To answer question 1, superstar has CCR mode and Visualization mode. In CCR mode there is a limited number of layouts. To do what you want to do you need to use Visualization mode and then all the props will be from the Visualization that you import.

I was able to create a 126x63 matrix using the Visualizer matrix wizard. What version of the Visualizer are you running? You can get the most recent version (v4.2.12) by going to the lightorama website, click on "support" and then click on "Download." If you are already using v4.2.12 and need help creating the matrix in the Visualizer let me know.

I have put in support to import an image file such as a jpeg or GIF, but it has not been released yet. If you want to get it now you can do the following:

1) Shut down SuperStar

2) Look for SSEdit.exe. It will be in one of the following two places:

c:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama\SSEdit.exe
c:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama\SSEdit.exe

3) Rename it to something like SSEdit_original.exe

4) Use the link below to get the new SSEdit.exe and copy it to the same place where you renamed the original SSEdit.exe

http://superstar.synchronizedchristmas.com/SSEdit.exe

5) Launch SuperStar. If you have done everything correctly, it will say v0.1604.1 in the title bar in the upper left of the program.

Brian- I am using v4.3.2 Pro.  I was able to make a matrix 126x 63, but not in the correct orientation.  My matrix starts top right and runs vertically,  63 tall and 126 wide in a snake pattern.  The error says a vertical matrix can't be more than 64 pixels wide.  I can make one 126 tall and 63 wide, but the playback is like a mirror effect across the middle, and turned sideways.

I'm excited to try the second part, but I'll have to test it out another night.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

I think I better understand the problem you are having. It sounds like you are running your strings vertically in a snake pattern and each length of lights is 63 pixels. You are running them up and down until you have 126 vertical rows. So you end up with a matrix that is 126 wide and 63 tall.

The root of the problem is that when I designed everything I figured folks would run strings along the longest dimension of the matrix. So in your course I figured you would run horizontal strings and each string would be 126 pixels long and then you would do 63 rows.

Since your strings are running vertically, superstar sees that as a vertical matrix. And for a  vertical matrix superstar allows each column of the matrix to be up to 360 pixels long but only allows 64 columns.

If you run the strings horizontally, superstar sees that as a horizontal matrix. And for a horizontal matrix superstar allows each row of the matrix to be up to 360 pixels long and allows up to 64 rows.

Have you already built the matrix? Is it possible for you to run the strings horizontally so that you have 63 rows and each row is a string that is 126 pixels wide?

Now I see we are on the same page.  I have already built half of it, because I used it this past winter.  I am doubling the size for this year.  It is mounted on the roof and the reason I chose vertical was so that I could run the power and data line just up and over the peak and hide the controller and power boxes on the other side.  Here's a hypothetical for you:  Can I just make 2 separate matrixes in Visualizer, but have the effects run across both in SS?  Or will it just do the same effect on each one instead of one big one?  I've been able to group props and do that in PE, but just unsure if it's a possibility in SS.

Doing 2 separate matrices does not help. The problem is that the superstar sequencing grid can have rows or columns of up to 360 in length, but the number of rows or columns is limited to 64. I'll have to think about this one.

• 1 month later...

Hey Brian- I know you've been busy with the new update, just wondering if there is anything in the works for my issue posted above.

Solving this requires a redesign of how a lot of stuff works. I can't promise this will be addressed this year.

It occurred to me that there is indeed a way to do your layout with the current superstar. Its not real user friendly, but there is a "locations" keyword you can use where you list the coordinate of every pixel in the fixture. I use it for the Globes so I can place each pixel where I want it. Email your visualization to me again at brian@superstarlights.com and I should be able to set it up for you.