Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar worth the $$?

zvacman

This actually helped, i dont try and force any rows, i just click the SS button then tell it to use my order instead of super stars. I get  better results with the instant sequences this way.

56 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Thank you both Ron and Jim for the response.  I've actually tried playing around with the Force SuperStar row/column and it never moves anything around.  Is their a certain way I have to import the visualization when doing that?

As long as you're working with props, it should work. I found, if using the individual fixture and force R/C, I never could get it to work properly. If you can't get it figured out, you could send me your .lee file and how you want it laid out and I can take a peek at it. Maybe there's something I came across and Brian helped me with. It always helps me if a second pair of eyes takes a look.

You can either link to Dropbox or Onedrive or Google, or just send the files to dariansdad1@comcast.net

I'll be happy to take a peek.

3 hours ago, Ron Boyd said:

As long as you're working with props, it should work. I found, if using the individual fixture and force R/C, I never could get it to work properly. If you can't get it figured out, you could send me your .lee file and how you want it laid out and I can take a peek at it. Maybe there's something I came across and Brian helped me with. It always helps me if a second pair of eyes takes a look.

You can either link to Dropbox or Onedrive or Google, or just send the files to dariansdad1@comcast.net

I'll be happy to take a peek.

Thanks for the offer but let me play around some more with it per above suggestions.  I'm one of those types who wants to figure it out before raising the white flag.

2 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Thanks for the offer but let me play around some more with it per above suggestions.  I'm one of those types who wants to figure it out before raising the white flag.

No problem. Just know the offer stands if you do throw the white flag. Good luck. You're gonna love it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2016 at 7:19 AM, k6ccc said:

You do that by specifying the location of props and fixtures when creating the visualization.  That one capability in my opinion is huge.  Allows for arranging things in ways that make sense instead of the way the computer thinks makes sense.  To do that, bring up the Prop Properties and click the SuperStar button.  On the new box, click the checkbox for "Force SuperStar Row/Column.  Then enter the desired row and column for the start of the prop in the SuperStar grid.  Same concept for fixtures, EXCEPT that it is a relative location.  For example, if you specify the Prop to start at 10,15, and the fixture at 1,5, that fixture will be 10,20.  You will have to play with it a bit to get the hang of it, but once you do, it's wonderful.  Also note that SuperStar will happily overlap your props if you tell it to, resulting in not what you expected.  Also note that props that you DON'T specify will get placed automatically by SuperStar and MAY overlap the props that you specified.  So the best bet is if you specify locations for some props do it for EVERYTHING.  Takes some extra time in Visualizer, but well worth it.

The other huge advantage is that if over years you add additional props, your existing props don't move on the grid which screws up your existing sequences.

I placed my four mini trees (10 strands, 20 pixels each, 200 total) into the SS qrid exactly how I want them, using Visualizer's SuperStar row/column assignment:  

Tree 1:  Row 1, Col 1

Tree 2:  Row 1, Col 12

Tree 3:  Row 1, Col 23, and

Tree 4:  Row 1, Col 34.  

Perfect so far, with a blank column between each tree's grid boxes.  Each tree's grid is 10 horiz boxes by 20 vertical boxes.  And yes, I have the text string "superstar matrixlength=20" in the comment field for each tree, just as Brian helped me with some weeks ago (and that Ron Boyd correctly points out).

But no matter what I've tried, I can't get my other, much simpler props to appear in the Row/Col that I specify for the prop in Visualizer.  

All of my other props are made up of one fixture each.  So I even tried assigning each prop's single fixture to Row 1, Col 1, as k6ccc suggests.  I also assigned each fixture to the same Row/Col as the prop.  I also left each fixture at the default (i.e., leaving "Force SuperStar Row/Column" unchecked).

What SS give me is a grid for each of the other props that begins in Row 1, and then successive columns (so, no overlap).  For example, in Visualizer: 

1.  I assigned one of my other props to Row 30, Col 1.  But SS created a vertical grid for it that begins in Row 1, Col 44 -- which is the next available column after my last tree.

2.  I assigned the next prop to Row 31, Col 1.  But, SS created a vertical grid for it that begins in Row 1, and Col 45.

Any more suggestions to get the grid for each prop in SuperStar to begin in the row and column that I specify for it in Visualizer?

I made some progress.  I was able to assign where the sequence grid for four additional props  begin in SuperStar.  (e.g., one begins in Row 23, Column 1, a second begins in Row 23, Col 2).   Each grid is a vertical row of boxes, and do not overlap the grid boxes for the four mini trees.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on SS.  I have 3000 pixels so I need the 9000 channel version correct?

Z

Yep (on the 60 CCR / 9000 channel license level).  Pull the trigger - you won't regret it....

And that reminds me that I need to upgrade my SSE license level this year too before I try to export anything....