Light-O-Rama Forums

looking for RGB Floods Alternitives

Mr Grunts

Ok after my encounter with vandals this past winter I am trying to replenish my hardware. On a fixed income my budget is not all that large, I have spent most of it buying the cmb24d boards that were taken. with that said

I am looking for an alternative to the LOR RGB flood that go for 30 each. My question is, i see on ebay , they have 10w RGB Floods that go from 6-15 bucks and this i can afford only problem is that they are wireless remote controlled. so i dont see them working with the cmb24d. Is there a more affordable flood that will work with the cmb24d? Only need to get through this yr with them, next year i will use my budget to buy the ones from LOR, I just need to get through this yr first.

any info will help please.    

I'm sorry for your losses. I can't help you with your flood hacks as I've only bought the LOR 50watt RGB floods. Warranty is as big a deal to me as initial start-up costs. I bought (2) floods through Don @ Synchronized Christmas. (1) stopped working completely after Christmas. Sent it to LOR and was only out the shipping. They 100% stood behind it even buying through a partner.

I know my method pictured below wouldn't stop a real thief, but it will stop the punks, thugs, vandals, lowlifes and otherwise worthless scumbags out there. I buy screw anchors and cable locks at Home Depot. All control boxes and flood lights are then screwed to the ground. Again, I know a professional thief is gonna take what they want, but I don't think they want Christmas...

About $10 insurance per device is an inexpensive way to slow the turd-heads down. 

IFLOOD.jpg_zpsymecocvu.pngCONTROLLERW_ANCHOR_zps34d81d28.png

Thank you for the reply, yea i did have things bolted down and or re barbed down. for what they couldnt take they smashed, cut, tore and anything you could imagine. It was a total mess when i got home. I was so aggravated.

with the help of my neighbors and the kids around here i was able to patch some of my leds and i had a spare 1602 plus one they didnt see so i was able to manage a show after all. i have put in cameras now just to catch them if it happens again.

small price for knowledge, I agree    

Yeah - really stinks that some people just don't have social values. 

I've thought about adding cameras, but haven't done it yet. I do have a door bell camera that is motion activated. So partial yard is recording. 

And it gives me another angle to watch my show from. 

I was just playing around the other day and figured out that the small 150 watt hallogen flood light's that can be mounted on a outside box like security lights work very good with a 3 or 4 led square node. If I can find my camerra I will post some pictures of what I did to make it. I started the project with a set of 2 that were mounted to the side of a house as regular light's. I was just gonna throw them away, but once I looked at them I thought they might work. So Playing around I put 1 Dumb square node in each, and violo they actually work pretty well, I have them temporarily mounted on my porch just as general illumination and they work well. I have posted a photo of the fixture pre-modification.  Also the nodes I used. I will update once I get a picture of the finished version as well as a break down photos.

Jacob

floodlight.jpg

sgnode.jpg

floodoff.jpg

floodon.jpg

Edited by The Pest
add photo's

Yes it is possible to hack the 10 watt versions, or for that matter 20, 30 and 50. Of course, warranties from LOR are awesome on their floods and I would not hesitate buying those first.

Check out this link:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?16881-10-Watt-RGB-Flood-Light&highlight=watt+flood+hack

Yes you can hack those floods from eBay or Amazon with the remote it's not that hard. I've done some 10 Watt and 20 watt. Keep in mind the 20 watt run at 24 volts. The 10-watt floods are probably what you want to go for. 

I ran 8 of the hacked floods in my Halloween and Christmas shows this year. Took me a weekend to hack them at night, took about 30 min each

The best alternative is probably these

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/4wires-PWM-rgb-flood-lights/701799_258440955.html

Ray is a popular vendor, and has warranties and will help you if you have any problems. Most Ebay sellers won't, definitely not if you have hacked the light!

They connect into the CMB24D just like LOR floods.

Don't order through AliExpress.

Send him an email at ray@rita-light.com. Shipping is cheaper and sometimes so are the items.

I don't understand why anyone would vandalise a Christmas light display. It is incredibly nasty!

What is worse is they smashed everything that they didn't steal.

If you bought 3 from RayWu, it would be $22/flood shipped.  Shipping for each additional flood is about $5, so the price per fllod would decrease slightly as you buy more. May not be in the OP's budget limits?

for security... I added motion detector activated lights with signs that says smile for the camera's and those are activated when someone gets to close to my display. (4 cameras are visible in different places on my eves and in a couple trees aimed at my yard and side walk area)

I don't worry about the lights coming on during the show as it is also a way to discourage people from letting their uncontrolled kids out of my display area. They do not know if the cameras the see are actually videoing them or not..

I have them set to stay on for two minutes after they are activated. I have had no problems with anything getting stolen or damaged day or night.

On 3/29/2016 at 3:53 PM, mpageler said:

If you bought 3 from RayWu, it would be $22/flood shipped.  Shipping for each additional flood is about $5, so the price per fllod would decrease slightly as you buy more. May not be in the OP's budget limits?

Email him directly and shipping is much cheaper.

I want to say thank you to everyone for all the info. I do know about Ray Wu and yes he does make great deals for us LOR users however my budget for this year is depleted in just buying back the controllers that i lost.

I will be buying LORs floods next year, ( already in the budget ) but for this year it will be e-bay ( only because of the costs ) to explain how tight my budget is right now, I am watching auctions for the same 10w 12v rgb flood lights ( black housing with 3 wire 110 plug. I will hack these to work with the info i received from a PM here. so far i got 3 of the same lights from 3 different sellers, 1 for 5 bucks free ship, the other 2 i got were both 7 and 7.50 with free ship. now if i can find 5 more just like that would be great for this year. Never know till i try ( watch ) lol. Heck I might win that christmas light contest and get the floods that way, lol One thing about this addiction, We do dream BIG HUH?  

again I just want to say thank you for everyone's help.  

• Like 1

Mr. Grunts,

I just noticed this thread.

Been there and done the hacking of those things. All 30 of them still working good.

Not sure what was PMed to you but it doesn't hurt to read and hear other peoples experience. Some great info posted right here on this forum.

Here is the link. 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2016 at 1:10 PM, Santas Helper said:

Mr. Grunts,

I just noticed this thread.

Been there and done the hacking of those things. All 30 of them still working good.

Not sure what was PMed to you but it doesn't hurt to read and hear other peoples experience. Some great info posted right here on this forum.

Here is the link. 

Thank you, That is what was sent to me. Everyone here is great, Again Thank you!!!!!!!!

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Hey Mr. Grunts!

How close are you to getting back up to show ready?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the best right now, thanks for asking though. I'm on ssd and for some reason they want to give me a Hassel and stopped my pay, eh,, no worries though just gona take time and I'll get it back , I did get my cmb24d,'s and ps's back but out of money for the floods, I have 2 so far and my sequences done for the 4th show, just no floods. Hopefully I'll be able to get them before Halloween.  Will see.

RGB strips are available with 144 pixels per meter.  I use dumb strips of these as wall wash's.  VERY VERY bright. They are now available dumb and ws2812.  You can mount them on the eves of your walls and point them downward.  Your thieves will have a hard time getting to them.  

8 minutes ago, jerrymac said:

RGB strips are available with 144 pixels per meter.  I use dumb strips of these as wall wash's.  VERY VERY bright. They are now available dumb and ws2812.  You can mount them on the eves of your walls and point them downward.  Your thieves will have a hard time getting to them.  

Thanks for the info, this is exactly what my thoughts are also. I bought 8 strips and are cutting them into 8ft strips for my eve's around the house the floods I need are for 2 10ft poles , 4 on each side for color changing spot lights. All my controllers will be in my mini barn with all wires underground, plus I now have my hardware insured on my home insurance.  I learned my lesson, lol. Cameras included 

10w RGB Light Trendmart[emoji768] Led Floodlights Waterproof Led Outdoor Lights Color Changing Memory Function Only Use DC / Ac 12 Volt + Remote Control (Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KVSCUQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2gUsxbR81M6Q5. I'm trying these I am waiting on my rgb controler. I'll post if they work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk