Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini trees and all other fixtures in the same SuperStar file

Ed K

Ok, I made some progress.  

As background, my Visualizer file contains only a single prop:  a 10X20 mini tree, made up of fixtures for each vertical.  For fixtures 9a and 9b (the two segments of the 9th vertical), I assigned (forced) the SuperStar row and column.  All others, I did not force rows/columns.

I then imported the V file into SuperStar, selecting “Vertical” and max length = 20.   SS developed a grid that has 10 columns, 20 rows, which is just what I asked for.   But the grid also includes a blank column between columns 9 and 10.  

Sample sequences I created in SuperStar work perfectly when exported to Sequence Editor, including a sequence using Brian’s smooth effects (thanks, Brian).  Also, I put the Visualizer in Play mode, ran Sequence Editor, and V simulated the mini tree sequences perfectly.  

Before I continue adding more mini trees, any suggestions to get rid of the blank column?

Not that blank columns don’t serve a good purpose.  I’d actually like to have one or two blank columns BETWEEN each mini tree so that Brian’s smooth effects, like the fan, don’t bleed into adjacent trees.  I hear that topic will be in my next class:  Visualizer/SuperStar Integration 101.

Thanks for your help in this thread.

I just emailed back a visualization. I did the following:

1) In the Prop I clicked on the superstar button and set "This Prop is a Matrix" to "Let superstar decide"
2) In the comment line of the prop I added the text "superstar matrixlength=20"

Doing the above will make it so the one mini tree imports properly

To do more than one mini-tree, it is nice to have a blank column between the trees so you can tell them apart. To do that you click on the superstar button of the prop and force the row/column to where you want it. So I did the following:

1) created another mini-tree using copy/paste
2) set the universes of the second mini-tree to something different than the first mini-tree
3) clicked on the superstar button of the first prop and selected "force superstar row/column" and set row=1, column=1
4) clicked on the superstar button of the second prop and selected "force superstar row/column" and set row=22, column=1

There is no way you would figure out to do the above on your own, so that is why I am willing to help out. Note that the "superstar matrixlength=20" is necessary because you split up one of the bundles into two 10 pixel strings. Telling superstar that the matrixlength is 20 lets him know to combine strings that aren't of length 20.

By looking at the attached visualization you should be able to add more mini-trees and get them to line up with a blank column between them. If you need further help let me know.

House v002 - Mini Tree Only - Split Univ on last two.lee

9 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:
1) In the Prop I clicked on the superstar button and set "This Prop is a Matrix" to "Let superstar decide"
2) In the comment line of the prop I added the text "superstar matrixlength=20"

Doing the above will make it so the one mini tree imports properly

Thanks so much for finding the settings I needed.  I had "This Prop is a Matrix" set to "No", so knowing it must be "Let SuperStar Decide" is key for me.  I know that field also is key to getting some pixel props in the same location in SS as they are in Visualizer, which is why I had it set at "No".  

But the real unknown is the text needed in the comment line of the fixture.    I'll be sure to write that one down where I will remember it.

9 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

To do more than one mini-tree, it is nice to have a blank column between the trees so you can tell them apart. To do that you click on the superstar button of the prop and force the row/column to where you want it.

This tip is key b/c I do need spacing between the trees, esp when I apply some of your Smooth Effects in SuperStar.

Great job, thanks.

Brian,

I created the second mini tree in Visualizer, updated the universe numbers, saved, then imported into SS.  Good so far, with two, 10-col, 20-row sequencing grids, separated by a blank column.

Scene and morph effects I applied to either, or both, trees work.

However, Smooth Effects, such as shock wave and fan, only simulate properly in SS when I apply them to the first mini tree (left 10-coll 20-row grid).  However, for a Smooth Effect I create only on for second tree and not the first tree, the effect does not simulate in SS on mini tree 2, and shows some slight set of pixels playing on mini tree 1.

Is there another setting I am missing?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found time to get back to the two mini trees.  I have two, and only two, mini trees in Visualizer, which I then import into SS.

With the changes Brian gave me, scene and morph effects work perfectly on both trees.  

However, smooth effects do not as planned.  Whether I put a smooth effect on tree 1 or tree 2, only the pixels on tree 1 activate.  None of the pixels on tree 2 do anything. 

The smooth effect I put on tree 2 that does not appear on tree 2, instead appears on tree 1, but offset (i.e., positioned or centered near tree 2, even tho the only pixels that come on are on tree 1).

Are there more settings I need to make to have more than one mini-tree in SuperStar?

Thanks.

Smooth effects have a clipping rectangle. Click on one of the smooth effects you have created, look at the bottom of the smooth effects dialog box and I suspect that "Manual Clip" is selected and there is a yellow rectangle around the first mini-tree. This makes it so that the smooth effect will only appear within that yellow rectangle. You can use "shift + left mouse drag" to define a clipping rectangle around the other mini-tree.

Or you can select "no clip" and the effect will not be clipped.

If that does not address the problem you are having let me know.

2 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

Smooth effects have a clipping rectangle. Click on one of the smooth effects you have created, look at the bottom of the smooth effects dialog box and I suspect that "Manual Clip" is selected and there is a yellow rectangle around the first mini-tree. This makes it so that the smooth effect will only appear within that yellow rectangle. You can use "shift + left mouse drag" to define a clipping rectangle around the other mini-tree.

That was it, thanks.  I added this to my notes so I don't forget (I now vaguely remember that you mentioned this setting in one of your other posts).