Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel Configuration on Regular 16 Channel Controller

DougieFresh1355

Sorry for the basic question here, but just getting into the RGB side of things.

1. If I was to use the CCB strands that are found in the LOR store (100 bulbs), that is 300 channels correct?

2. The built in controller would control each bulb locally there?

3. This strand plugs into one channel on my regular controller and only takes up one of my regular 16 channels, correct?

Appreciate the help, and if there is anything else related to this I might be missing, I'd love to hear that too.

Edited by DougieFresh1355

No you don't plug the CCB controller into a standard light controller. Only the data connects from CCB/P controllers to any other controller. Unless you want to totally shut a CCB/P controller off.

6 hours ago, DougieFresh1355 said:

Sorry for the basic question here, but just getting into the RGB side of things.

1. If I was to use the CCB strands that are found in the LOR store (100 bulbs), that is 300 channels correct?

2. The built in controller would control each bulb locally there?

3. This strand plugs into one channel on my regular controller and only takes up one of my regular 16 channels, correct?

Appreciate the help, and if there is anything else related to this I might be missing, I'd love to hear that too.

LOR regular controllers and LOR Cosmic Color Controllers are all daisy-chained via cat5 cable.  Each controller should be individually connected to power.

I'm presenting a free RGB class Sunday evening that would lilely benefit you greatly.  Here's a link for the meeting if you're interested: 

http://go.teamviewer.com/v11/m39716097

Doors open at 7PM CENTRAL and the class begins at 7:30.

Edited by George Simmons

Thanks for the info. So, if I'm understanding correctly, these strands/ribbons/etc. don't use any of your regular existing channels on a LOR controller? They use channels from the built in controller on the strand (in the situation of the CCB offered by LOR)? And then you connect the controller via cat5 to an existing controller(s)? But you'd still sequence the strands/bulbs in the regular LOR sequence editor?

How can you identify if RGB elements will work on a LOR network? I'm assuming the lights themselves don't matter, but the controller that will link to existing LOR controllers will matter. For example, would these lights (http://www.environmentalled.com/RGB---C9-Opaque-WS2811-Pixels-50-Count-Black-Wire-p2279.html) work with a LOR setup? How can I tell? These don't have a controller included, so I'd have to find one that works for LOR?

Thanks.

Doug

You will need a controller for the chosen pixels.

If you choose LOR CCR/CCP/CCB's the controller comes with the package. Simply add to your network via network daisy chained cable. Look on LOR site for documentation on this product. They explain it very well.

you are using a specific product name as a generic product.   CCP (Cosmic Color Pixel ) is a product made by LOR and comes with a LOR controller made to run these pixels.  The CCP controller runs under LORs protocol (but can be used with dmx 512).    

The pixels you have in the link are NOT CCP's and run on DMX 512.

To run these you will need a smart controller (either E1.31 or DMX). They are NOT daisy chained with your LOR controllers.

CCP's are pixels but all pixels are NOT CCP's (same with CCR's)

Thank you for the information. Jerrymac, I understand exactly what you are saying about products. What do you prefer to purchase for your RGB Pixel Bulbs and smart controllers?

Also, if I cannot daisy chain this to my existing 16 channel LOR controller, how do I integrate it into my show with regular lights?

Using DMX controllers, you would use a DMX dongle (Enttec Pro ) and connect to a USB port, then daisy chain the DMX contollers to this network.

Best option is E1.31 .  These controllers are connected to the network plug on your computer and are daisy chained from there.  For more than one E1.31 controller you would use an inexpensive network switch (works like an electronic spliiter). 

You can use all three of these options at the same time.

Where depends on what you are looking for.  If you are looking for quality products that plug right in with good service LOR fits that bill.   There are a couple of US suppliers that handle quality products (made in china) that can save some money if you are willing to DIY some of the work.    If you want the lowest price (comes with the lowest (if any) service you can by directly from China.  

Best bet for newbee is LOR or one of the US suppliers.

• The topic was locked