Light-O-Rama Forums

ANother Stupid Newbie Question

bdwillie

I was wondering how sensitive the outputs of these controllers are; or as I was asked and am not sure,  While putting together the yard decorations, can I plug and or unplug items from the controller outputs while the controller is running?  Would this damage the controller?  I know that we can plug in decorations to standard outlets with no harm to the lights, but would changing the load on the output of the channel while the channel is powered, will it damage the triacs?  I know we have some digital equipment at work that will be damaged by changing load under power.

Real world,  do I need to run in and kill power if I discovered I plugged something into the wrong channel before I unplug and reconnect it?

Sigh,  the thoughts running around in my brain are sometimes silly..

Bobby

Been doing this for 10 years and never had problems plugging in or unplugging lights while the controller is actively running a sequence.

I've heard you can't do that with a E682, although I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement.

Like Tom, I've never had any issues with doing it with any LOR controller, and I've done it plenty of times.

From the E682 Manual

Pixel Connections:

The pixel strings plug into the 16 4-pin “euro-style” pluggable terminal blocks labeled 1-1 through 4-4. In general, pixel strings may be plugged and unplugged while the system is powered up, but it is recommended, to reduce risk of damage to pixels, that pixel strings only be plugged and unplugged while the system is off. If using the GE ColorEffects strings, they will not function properly if plugged in while the E682 is powered up. 

Correct. The GECE bulbs have a startup mode that requires that the GECE and controller power up together. Took me some frustration and help from another forum user who told me that they really mean that it requires that they both power up together - a controller reset does not count because the bulbs won't be in their startup mode when the controller is expecting them to be. Once I got that straight, they work perfect. I have 10 strings of GECE bulbs on my eves for Halloween and Christmas.

Each GECE pixel gets assigned an address that is used to control its colors.  That assignment gets done when the controller is initialized. Address data is only sent once.