Light-O-Rama Forums

Win 10 upgrade

Wayne K

I done a few searches on the forum here about win 10 and Lor. Did not find much, So I went ahead and done a win 10 update and it looks like from what I can see that most everything looks like it is working. I don't have any controllers hooked up at this point.
 Is there any known issues with win 10 and the LOR software / hardware that I need to chase down? I am going to be shutting this computer down until later this summer and wanted to take advantage of the free upgrade while it is being offered.

Thanks for any info

Wayne

I've been running win10 for about 6 months now and have had no trouble with LOR at all.  I just don't like the way win10's default navigates.

Same here, updated to windows 10 before last years show and everything worked great!  Only thing I noticed different is that the LORComListener is constantly running and pinned to my taskbar. No big deal though, all works great...

Thanks guys for the info.

I messed with it some more earlier today and all looks good. I will give it a couple of days in case it want's to do any more updates before I put it to bed for several months.

Wayne

I converted my show computer to Windows 10. I regret doing it for these reasons. Number 1 if not very media friendly. Number 2 it's constantly streaming things from the internet and running things in the background ( more than Windows 7).  Number 3 you have no control over its updates ( unless you physically unplug it from the internet)

5 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

I converted my show computer to Windows 10. I regret doing it for these reasons. Number 1 if not very media friendly. Number 2 it's constantly streaming things from the internet and running things in the background ( more than Windows 7).  Number 3 you have no control over its updates ( unless you physically unplug it from the internet)

Forcing updates was done deliberately!

There were too many unpatched computers on the internet.

Now MS can push out updates as soon as another flaw is discovered protecting everyone.  

If you are worried about the reboots during show time then disconnect it from the Internet.

If you are techy then you know other ways ;)

• Like 1

There is a workaround but it's a pain in the butt. Microsoft already showed the flaw in the set up when a bad update sent many computers into endless reboot cycles with no way to stop it ( that is for the average person). Windows 10 does not have a media center or a native way of playing DVDs. Simply opening a photo or a music file requires a lot more CPU than necessary. I have to wonder if the guys writing the code idolized Rube Goldberg. On the bright side it looks pretty

I tried it on two diff computers... didnt like it at all plus like was said... it constantly runs updates and you have no control to stop them.

It even downloads and installs updates on some things you do not use... takes up to much band width or whatever it is called... because you cannot turn off the updates. I do not use outlook for example but it automatically downloads and installs updates for it. 

plus is does have other problems which I will let you find on your own if you use the right programs and find they stop working completely on WIN 10 such as AutoCad etc... and maybe you can afford to spend a couple grand for new programs, scanners, printers etc...  but not all us can.

I will keep my 7 and 8.1 until they come up with a new operating system again or will be going to MAC and getting away from Microsoft as much as possible..

11 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

I was curious about # 3 so I done some searching and found there are some options about installing them  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-choose-how-updates-are-installed

33 minutes ago, Old Sarge said:

I tried it on two diff computers... didnt like it at all plus like was said... it constantly runs updates and you have no control to stop them.

It even downloads and installs updates on some things you do not use... takes up to much band width or whatever it is called... because you cannot turn off the updates. I do not use outlook for example but it automatically downloads and installs updates for it. 

plus is does have other problems which I will let you find on your own if you use the right programs and find they stop working completely on WIN 10 such as AutoCad etc... and maybe you can afford to spend a couple grand for new programs, scanners, printers etc...  but not all us can.

I will keep my 7 and 8.1 until they come up with a new operating system again or will be going to MAC and getting away from Microsoft as much as possible..

I guess the updates don't bother me to much as I have high speed and unlimited data. But for some people on a slower limited data plan that is a problem. So far with the win 10 detector or tester program I have ran it on all my computers and found that my work vpn will not work. But that is more of a cisco issue as the vpn is at the end of its life cycle and microsoft decided not to allow it to work on win 10.

The one big thing I did like that after I done the upgrade, was that I could not tell I had done anything at all. My desktop looked the same as before I started. But of course everything else changed.

Wayne.

Edited by Wayne K

• 2 weeks later...

I use Windows 10 Enterprise and have control over the updates. The only real issue that i have is that when it downloads the updates and i wait several days it starts to crash the OS and the memory runs out. I have a 32 gig beast machine and should not be having memory issues.

I reboot and it installs the updates and life is good again till the next batch of updates. Then it starts all over.

I started testing programming only, not controlling lights when Microsoft first released Windows 10 to those of us that choose to be Insider's and help fine tune the system. LOR ran with zero problems. Like I said with out controlling light's but all areas of the software never had a single hick-up.

• 4 weeks later...

I really dislike Windows 10 for many reasons, but the LOR software isn't one of them.  I have used the Sequence Editor, Visualizer, and SuperStar Editor on Windows 10 with no problems.  I have used it to control lights as well; no issues whatsoever.

I upgraded to win10 about 3 weeks ago and so far have had no problems with anything. LOR works fine and I even did an Easter Show in SS which played fine on my CCRs.  My work VPN has also worked fine with no problems.  All my other programs have also run without problems.