Light-O-Rama Forums

Extension Cord to Splitter to Controller

colelini00

42 minutes ago, wbaker4 said:

Does this "computer" gadget you mentioned use intensity files?

Nope. They are controlled by DMX.

• 2 weeks later...

If Orange gets that hot... Will Black Cords even absorb and hold in more heat sense Black absorbs heat?

Maybe he shouldn't wrap his orange cords so tight the next time so air can circulate around them more....

Isn't wrapping wire the way they make electrical magnets... and doesn't magnetism produce electricity and versa visa and they both in turn can produce heat... LOL... 

I think about 40 years ago in school we wrapped wire around a nail in school to make electric magnets...

someone needs to tell him about the wireless extension cords... They Have Never Had The Over Heat Problem With Them.

On 2/4/2016 at 9:14 PM, ItsMeBobO said:

Ditto - 11 AC controllers and have one of these hanging on each one

In retrospect - I would have just jumped both sides inside the box (100% LED)

FYI....

LOR's stance has always been that if you only need 15A from a 30A controller (or less) to use a triple tap, one of the devices already posted here, or something like it.  it is much easier to just plug 2 cords into a tap than it is to tear down a controller and add jumpers.  

Of course if you know what you are doing, you can do the jumper thing and do it safely.  But when you think about 'the savings' (1 less cord on a controller, and 1 less triple tap to store), is the time required worth it?  What happens if in the future you need more than 15A for some reason?  

3 hours ago, DevMike said:

FYI....

LOR's stance has always been that if you only need 15A from a 30A controller (or less) to use a triple tap, one of the devices already posted here, or something like it.  it is much easier to just plug 2 cords into a tap than it is to tear down a controller and add jumpers.  

Of course if you know what you are doing, you can do the jumper thing and do it safely.  But when you think about 'the savings' (1 less cord on a controller, and 1 less triple tap to store), is the time required worth it?  What happens if in the future you need more than 15A for some reason?  

More and more of us are going to LED eliminating the need to run such high amperage. In my display the controllers are gross overkill .

More than a triple tap is needed.

How do you get power to the next controller? You need a short grounded cord too. Replacing one power cord with a plug is WAY easier and cleaner and fast to set up. I have lots of time in the summer to wire and desire fast setup during the season. Rewiring a prebuilt box is faster than building diy the way i need them. I added 6 new 16ch in 2015 all 96 ch have just a single 50 led string. There is never going to be icans on these boxes so they are semi fixed mounted and power is daisy chained.

I've converted almost all my controllers to one power cord.  (We're about 95% LED now.) 

It takes maybe 10 minutes per controller and more than pays for that time in far fewer power cords to buy, manage, and/or fight with.