Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Tree Setup

greenie95125

Hi,

I'm still new to this whole pixel craze, so bear with me. I've had 4 ccrs for a few years and dove into pixels this past season. I set up a 12 strip tree using a sandevice e682 to run it. I set it up so that each strip was it's own universe, and that worked out fine since the e682 has 12 outputs. That's kind of a waste of controller real estate though since each output can run 170 pixels.

I'd like to combine some strips on my tree to free up some outputs on the controller. I think the easiest for now would be 100 pixels (2 strips) on each output. What I can't figure out is how to get the channels set up correctly. In the visualizer I use the tree wizard to make a 12 bundle tree using "dmx edge to center, center to edge," and then use the channel wizard to set the universes to 1-6 at 100 pixels each. Then on the sequencer side I set up 6 universes (devices) with 100 pixels each. Then I cut and paste the sequence from my 12 universe setup to my 6 universe setup. I'm assuming that would work since each setup has 1800 channels, but it doesn't. When I play the sequence on the visualizer, it's all jumbled up. It seems to me that each universe in the sequencer should be set up as channels 1-150 and 300-151 (so that channels 1 and 151 are at the base of the tree) for the cut and paste to work. If so, that a LOT of manual work, as I can't find an easier way to do it. 

I'm obviously missing something. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you.

Mike

There is also an issue doing that in the E682. I will give a longer explanation when I get to a computer.

There is also an issue doing that in the E682. I will give a longer explanation when I get to a computer.

I appreciate that!

Mike

After reading your message in a little more detail, I see that the majority of your issue with with the tree wizard - which I have never used.  My answer was primarily related to the E682 and I'll address that in a moment.  In S3, you could not build a DMX string, so you had a couple choices on how to build a DMX pixel based tree.  You could lie and tell Visualizer that it was really CCRs and then change the sequence in SE after sequencing in SSE, or you could build each pixel as a fixture (UGH!).  In my case, I did the latter.  With the advent of DMX pixel strings in S4 Visualizer, I changed to a DMX pixel string for each string of the tree and still did not use the tree wizard.  It sounds like the majority is getting the channel assignments right in the wizard.  The other major reason I did not use the tree wizard is that the tree wizard is setup for a circular mega tree and not a flat tree.

On to the E682.  Unless otherwise specified, all examples assume 50 pixels per string and 12 strings with one string on each output of the E682.  Because of the way that the E682 assigns addresses within each cluster, you have to be a little careful what you assign where.  For example, if you start with universe 1 channel 1 on pixel 1 of string 1, you will end up with string 4 split between universes 1 & 2.  The E682 is fine with that, and in fact that is how I did my pixel tree when using S3.  The problem is that the S4 Visualizer does not like that UNLESS you split string 4 into two separate fixtures within Visualizer.  That is not a real problem if you are using the new "Draw Pixel String" tool as you just draw two fixtures, and it will work perfectly that way in Visualizer, SuperStar, Sequence Editor, and on your real lights.  However as far as I know the tree wizard can't draw it that way.  The same "problem"  would be the case with several later strings in the tree as well.  The solution would be to use the Draw Pixel String tool and draw each string - all as part of the same prop.

In your case, what you are trying to do (I assume) is to have for example output 1-1 of the E682 connect to the top of string 1 (going top to bottom), and at the bottom of string 1, continue on with string 2 (going bottom to top).  E682 output 1-2 connect to string 3, and at the bottom of string 3, continue with string 4.  The result is that strings 1 - 8 are on cluster 1 of the E682, and strings 9 - 12 use the first two outputs of cluster 2 on the E682.  Again, the E682 will be perfectly happy with this arrangement, but you will have to play a few games in Visualizer to make this work.  Below is a listing of how to set up the strings in Visualizer to make this work.

Here is an example:

String 01 (top to bottom) Universe 1, channel 1 - 150  =  E682 output 1-1

String 02 (bottom to top) Universe 1, channel 151 - 300  =  Continuation from end of string 1

String 03 (top to bottom) Universe 1, channel 301 - 450  =  E682 output 1-2

String 04a (bottom to top) Universe 1, channel 451 - 510  =  Continuation from end of string 2

String 04b (bottom to top) Universe 2, channel 1 - 90  =  The rest of string 4

String 05 (top to bottom) Universe 2, channel 91 - 240  =  E682 output 1-3

String 06 (bottom to top) Universe 2, channel 241 - 390  =  Continuation from end of string 5

String 07a (top to bottom) Universe 2, channel 391 - 510  =  E682 output 1-4

String 07b (top to bottom) Universe 3, channel 1 - 30  =  Continuation from end of string 7

String 08 (bottom to top) Universe 3, channel 31 - 180  =  The rest of string 7

String 09 (top to bottom) Universe 3, channel 181 - 330  =  E682 output 2-1

String 10 (bottom to top) Universe 3, channel 331 - 480  =  Continuation from end of string 9

String 11a (top to bottom) Universe 3, channel 481 - 510  =  E682 output 2-2

String 11b (top to bottom) Universe 4, channel 1 - 120  =  The rest of string 11

String 12 (bottom to top) Universe 4, channel 121 - 270  =  Continuation from end of string 11

BTW, if this really does not make sense, I can send you a prop file done this way, so you can see it.

Thanks for the detailed response, Jim. I thought it would be much easier to consolidate the strings into fewer universes. I'll most likely just continue to use up the 12 universes the e682 is capable of, and not try to fix what aint broken. My tree display was perfect with the setup I had. I was just trying to open up some outputs on the e682. I still have some free on my alphapix, so I can use those if I add more pixels.

--Mike

If you put 2 strings per universe it would be easy 150 channels up 150 down. 300 channels per universe not crossing over to the next universe Give you 6 free universe. I do 3 strings per universe myself using 10 universe. Shows up fine in the visualizer and the pixel editor.

If you put 2 strings per universe it would be easy 150 channels up 150 down. 300 channels per universe not crossing over to the next universe Give you 6 free universe. I do 3 strings per universe myself using 10 universe. Shows up fine in the visualizer and the pixel editor.

I thought it would be that easy, but it doesn't translate in the visualizer. How do I let the sequencer know that on strip 2 channel 151 is on the top of the tree and not the bottom? I think what I see in the visualizer is that every other strip is upside down (I think).

Mike

If you draw the strings with the draw Pixel string tool, you just draw them that way. I don't think you can do it in the tree wizard.

BTW, do you want me to send you a prop file?

If you draw the strings with the draw Pixel string tool, you just draw them that way. I don't think you can do it in the tree wizard.

BTW, do you want me to send you a prop file?

Yeah Jim, send it along if you don't mind. mgg@pacbell.net

Thanks.

Mike

Edited by greenie95125

Yeah Jim, send it along if you don't mind. mgg@pacbell.net

Sent two versions - one with the controller at the top and one with the controller at the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...