Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar Sequencer Images

Lee T.

Good Day. 

I am seriously thinking about purchasing 12 CCRs to use at Halloween and Christmas this year. I have been learning how to use the SSS but my art work is really bad.  I even have trouble drawing stick people.

Is there a place were one can find "images" on grid paper so that they can be copied onto the proper squares on a horizontal CCR screen?  I'm thinking of drawings of things like ghosts, cats, bells, Santa, sleighs, reindeer, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

I don't know of a source for images that are on a grid. Unfortunately, there is not an easy way to make good images at the low resolutions of a CCR screen. If you have an image such as a ghost and you have a 12 CCR matrix, you have 12 pixels high and 50 pixels wide to work with. If you want the ghost to be upright, then you have a height of 12 pixels to work with. At that resolution you have to play with the pixels to get something that looks like a ghost. Having a ghost image that is on a grid may not translate well, you have to experiment with different pixel combinations to get the best image.

For example, I wanted to have 5 point stars in a sequence and found that I could not get a good looking 5 point upright star. But I found that if a rotated it so that the lines of the top of the star were at a 45 degree angle I could get a better looking star.

I know that is not the answer you want, but I don't know of a way to make it easy to get good images at the low resolutions that we have to work with.

Lee - for perspective, think about when you go to a football or baseball game, those large screens are made up of millions of pixels and you can sometimes tell.  As Brian stated unless you have an extremely high number of pixels, good, detailed images are difficult.

Thanks for the responses.  I was just thinking that maybe some of you or some website might have different things on graph paper that matched the CCR screen format.  Just looking for an EZ way to make a sequence.  On the other hand, it's only January and I have a lot of time to improve on my graphics!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Brian 

Is it possible to have a image import behind the grid so that we can have a starting point to color in the squares that we want to go to the strips.  Of course the image is only used to help draw the image on Grid for the strips and would have nothing to do with turning things ON

Brian 

Is it possible to have a image import behind the grid so that we can have a starting point to color in the squares that we want to go to the strips.  Of course the image is only used to help draw the image on Grid for the strips and would have nothing to do with turning things ON

I agree this would be very helpful to get a starting point when doing an image.

I make a photoshop image with the same number of pixels as my matrix - then import an "image" on a second layer, then after expanding to 3000 percent, have a great pixelated image upon which to base my actual SS image upon.

Worked great with some images - some, no matter what I did, couldn't get clarity - the image you use has to be somewhat primitive, I guess.

• Like 1

I make a photoshop image with the same number of pixels as my matrix - then import an "image" on a second layer, then after expanding to 3000 percent, have a great pixelated image upon which to base my actual SS image upon.

Worked great with some images - some, no matter what I did, couldn't get clarity - the image you use has to be somewhat primitive, I guess.

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try.  Hopefully Brian will add the import image behind the grid and make life a bit easier to use the software,

After multiple attempts to free hand draw an image and deciding it looked like you know what.  I went to (Numbers on a Mac) which is basically Excel and setup a template to match the exact same size as the Grid in SS sequencer 12 Columns X 50 Rows.    I numbered all of the cells just for my own purpose to make it easy to count what cells I needed to fill in with colors.  I Copied the picture I wanted to draw to my clipboard and pasted on top of the grid in Numbers (Excel) I then resized the image to the size that I wanted by dragging the edges of the image.  Then I sent the image to the background in Numbers (Excel) which lets you see every cell on top of the image.  Now I can just set the Grid from SS sequencer and the grid from Numbers (Excel) next to each other on my screen and  fill in the approximate cells with colors.  It worked great, other than counting cells on the SS sequencer grid to match my model to make sure I colored the right numbered cell.  Obviously you can not add every detail but it will get you very close to a finished image in SS.  I also saved my template for future images.  

Edited by Grinch
  • Like 1

That is what i do, too, except I do it in Photoshop......basocslly because when you shrink down the image to fit Photoshop resamples the image and pixelates it yo make the color choices easier, i think.

Well, you folks convinced me that being able to import an image would be worthwhile. I have started work on it. What I'm thinking of doing is being able to flip between two views, one that has the high resolution image and one that has the low res image. Its going to take me a while but it is the next thing I will put in.

By the way, the thing I just finished putting in is the ability to copy/paste between two instances of superstar. So that's an ability that will be in the next release.

• Like 5

By the way, the thing I just finished putting in is the ability to copy/paste between two instances of superstar. So that's an ability that will be in the next release.

Cool!  That will be great!

YAY!!!

Brian,

Thank you for considering the group's request to be able to import an image into the Super Star program.  This would be a really great addition for those of us not very artistic!

Sounds great Brian. Any idea when this might be released? I could use it right away. Hopefully it will be included in next beta release.

I won't give away all of what I use to help with pictures except I will share this idea. I went to Michael's & found a Pixel Gamer Colouring Book (it is full of images like a Basket Ball player , cars & what not).  It would be best to try & use the ones that would fit on a 12 ccr tree, however you can shorten them say from 16 blocks to 12 blocks & it would still come out looking good.  Better yet a 16 ccr tree would give you a better chance at getting better pictures out of that book. 

Edited by lightzilla