Light-O-Rama Forums

Rasberry Pie with LOR

Dcroc

Haven't looked into it too deeply, but before I do....

Can this run an entire LOR network, plus DMX dongle, as well as E1.31 on just one device? If so, how does it manage this with so little processing power?

John storms did a video on this on you tube. I'm on my phone so can't put a link. But a quick YouTube search and it should pop up.

I'm actually in the middle of doing this right now.  Came across a pi and thought "why not?"....

John Storms @Listentoourlights has done a great deal of work in this and I'm pretty much using these video's as my how-to guide.

Here's the Pi video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjeyZPHajjo

You will need to install FPP (Falcon Pi Player) on the Pi and program your controllers to run DMX which is very simple.  Major benefit to doing this, as far as I can tell, is the data transfer speed.  

For my '16 setup I am planning on running a Pi to a series of Falconv2 and dumb RGB controllers (still haven't decided on which) and have my LOR controllers in DMX mode.  There are tons of YouTube videos out there, and as far as I can tell, entirely possible.

You can plug your LOR USB Dongle into the PI's USB to control LOR AC devices or you can switch them to DMX E1.31 your preference

You can plug your LOR USB Dongle into the PI's USB to control LOR AC devices or you can switch them to DMX E1.31 your preference

I didn't think that LOR dongles work with the Pi. Maybe it does though.

I am doing this as well.

FYI...If you are using the new "intensity files" that pixel editor or superstar produces, the Pi will NOT work.  There is no way to convert an intensity file into the format that the Pi needs.  

Therefore, I am abandoning pixel editor for Xlights and then I will be able to convert to the .fseq file format that the Pi needs to read.

Hope this helps.

Tim

I like the Pixel editor but I do not like the Intensity file.  I would like to use it for accents in the programming or go back and forth between the SuperStar programming.  I understand why the intensity file is there but it really limits how you put your show together.

Haven't looked into it too deeply, but before I do....

Can this run an entire LOR network, plus DMX dongle, as well as E1.31 on just one device? If so, how does it manage this with so little processing power?

The reason it works is, the lms sequence has to be converted to a fseq for it to run with the Falcon Player. When converted, the fseq file size is at a minimum, half of the size of the lms file.

Andy Harrison ran a LOR network with the RS485 dongle as well as the E1.31 stuff through the Pi this year with zero problems. Just have to run the LOR controllers in DMX mode, or convert all to RGB and do away with AC channels.

I converted all my controllers to DMX over the past three years.  This year I added 4K channels of RGB to the existing 600+AC channels and ran on the Pi.  I still have the LOR PC loaded and ready to go as I know it was rock solid and ready.  The Pi was rock solid the whole time and I didn't have to give up anything that I had before.  It wasn't near as easy as LOR that is for sure but it performs well.

Successful test using the pi to control  a CTB16PC with LOR output and an e6804 on e.1.31.  Next I need to add my other LOR controllers then test a sequence.

I have tested LOR USB Dongle on (9)1602's plus (3) CMB24D with No problem  None of these in E1.31 DMX mode

I have tested San Device E682 with 12X50  plus 1X170 with no problems in E1.31 mode with no problem

When I get time I will put them together and test it as one complete show.  I do not expect any problems

I have tested LOR USB Dongle on (9)1602's plus (3) CMB24D with No problem  None of these in E1.31 DMX mode

I have tested San Device E682 with 12X50  plus 1X170 with no problems in E1.31 mode with no problem

When I get time I will put them together and test it as one complete show.  I do not expect any problems

I was not expecting any problems until I read this thread and multiple people said it would not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Completed my mock setup in the basement.  Everything is working except I had to set up the routing tables in my home computer instead of the router so the home computer is the only device I can use to see the SanDevice controllers.

FPP%20Network%20Future_zpsa5vh6pet.jpg

Edited by KStatefan
  • Like 1

The total stopper for me is you can't use inputs for interactive sequences in DMX. My Christmas show does not use interactives (except opening night), but the year round landscaping does - including the Christmas overnight show.

Keep that in mind if you use any interactive sequences.

• 3 weeks later...

Can the LOR CCR controllers also be run in DMX mode, and therefore also be run using a Pi?

KStatefan, thanks for your "research" in using Pi to drive LOR controller and e6804 on e.1.31.  I really like developing sequences in SuperStar, then exporting to SE, including DMX props, but really look forward to handing of the chore of running the lights to the Pi.