Light-O-Rama Forums

Rasberry Pie with LOR

Dcroc

Been looking for a project to engage my son with.  He mentioned ambient lighting for TV/PC's, and said the "pi" word, which grabbed my attention. So, for the price, I'm gonna get one, because it's so hard to find things to connect with your kids when they older. Figure I have nothing to lose but $30, which we all know LOR lighters use that to wipe with....lol.  Good way for me to learn about the Pi, and spend some time with my boy.  Problem is, I have to keep my urge to plug it right into my lights in check. My son mentioned that there is a quad core version of the Pi coming out soon.  This $30 (wiping money) is burning a hole in my pocket, though, so I don't know if I will wait for the "latest and greatest".

Is there anything I need to buy with the pi? Any input pups I will need, etc?

http://lifehacker.com/build-your-own-ambient-lighting-system-with-a-raspberry-1577457223

23 hours ago, Dcroc said:

Been looking for a project to engage my son with.  He mentioned ambient lighting for TV/PC's, and said the "pi" word, which grabbed my attention. So, for the price, I'm gonna get one, because it's so hard to find things to connect with your kids when they older. Figure I have nothing to lose but $30, which we all know LOR lighters use that to wipe with....lol.  Good way for me to learn about the Pi, and spend some time with my boy.  Problem is, I have to keep my urge to plug it right into my lights in check. My son mentioned that there is a quad core version of the Pi coming out soon.  This $30 (wiping money) is burning a hole in my pocket, though, so I don't know if I will wait for the "latest and greatest".

Is there anything I need to buy with the pi? Any input pups I will need, etc?

http://lifehacker.com/build-your-own-ambient-lighting-system-with-a-raspberry-1577457223

The quad core Pi 2 Model B is already out. This chart compares 4 of the models it does not include the pi zero. The only thing you have to purchase is the pi, power supply and micro Sd card.  If you want a case I like the Tontec or the Flirk case there are tons of different cases out there. The pies i have in an enclosure I do not have a case.

Clyde Lindsey who has a youtube channel, leechburghlights, has gotten the Pi working with LOR.  He will be hopefully be getting some videos up this week on how to
configure it all.

Have you got the RS485 dongle working with FPP?

I connected mine and tried both my CMB24D and CTB16PC G2 (Might be a G3. I bought it December 2014) and neither worked.

I thought that maybe the CTB16PC needs a firmware upgrade (Never done one), so I tried the CMB24D and that didn't work either, so I assume that the problem is in the Pi, FPP and the dongle.