Light-O-Rama Forums

First Year looking ahead to next year

JDS

Started my first year with one LOR controller.  Created a 10 channel mega tree and three 2 channel each mini trees.  Looking to expand next year but want to go rgb pixel with a pixel tree and arches.  I have looked at a lot of online videos but while I understand I need a different kind of controller and power supply i really don't know were to begin or what i need.  Can anyone help me make my shopping list and point me in the right direction?

You might want to break that down and look at the arches and pixel tree separately. Start with what sort of look you're going for. There are many different flavors of pixels that can be used on both. For instance I used a 2 inch PEX tubing and RGB pixel strips inside the tube for arches. The tube gives a very cool diffused look to the light and you can't beat it for weather protection. And just recently I threw together a small pixel tree. For that I used pixel nodes. That was a 360 degree tree. But you may want to use strips and go with a 180 degree tree or even a flat tree.

First a disclaimer:

This is my opinion based on my experience. This is in no way meant to mean that the equipment i use is better then LOR.

Ok, i have a 16 string mega tree using 12volt pixel nodes from Holiday Coro.  also sells the nodes and Power Supplies  that you will need. I use a Sandevices E682 to control the pixels. You can buy one as a kit for $118 or an assembled one for $189.Look at this page, a lot of information for you there. 

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Controllers 

http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/

Started my first year with one LOR controller.  Created a 10 channel mega tree and three 2 channel each mini trees.  Looking to expand next year but want to go rgb pixel with a pixel tree and arches.  I have looked at a lot of online videos but while I understand I need a different kind of controller and power supply i really don't know were to begin or what i need.  Can anyone help me make my shopping list and point me in the right direction?

As Jerry said, there are different hardware routes you can take other than LOR. However I still use LOR for their software, and AC controllers. Check out Holidaycoro's website. There are loads of videos that will help you out with the world of pixels. You'll save a bundle compared to LOR as well. I went with pixels from holidaycoro this year, and couldn't be happier.

Happy New Year!

Mike