Light-O-Rama Forums

My Display Website

EmmienLightFan

Website Looks Great! Did you write the html & css code yourself or did you use a website builder? If you did use a website builder, which one did you use? Either way, looks Great!

Edited by cgreenfield

Your only 30 minutes away from my mom's home town of Saffron Walden of which I still have a slew of family there. Be cool to go back one day and go see your display!!!

Website looks good 

Website Looks Great! Did you write the html & css code yourself or did you use a website builder? If you did use a website builder, which one did you use? Either way, looks Great!

I used Joomla, a CMS, running on an old PC. I didn't have to do much code, just a tiny bit of HTML for the front cover image and to fix a overlapping problem. It is quite simple and powerful. A lot of big websites use Joomla.

Oh... well... if you are careful with the plugins... like don't use ANY from ANYWHERE. You might be ok... seriously I work with this stuff every, day Joomla is a disaster. I really don't know how anyone has a web site with it long... Good luck to ya friend. =)

Drew

Really?

I have three plugins and a theme.

I looked at running WordPress but Joomla was better for what I need.

As both Joomla and WordPress are plugin based, I would have thought it would be just as bad.

Joomla and Wordpress do both suffer from malicious plugins. The reason is because the developer teams do not vet plugins... like the way Apple for example looks over every app's code before putting it on apple store. The only way to avoid this is to use a closed system like wordpress.com where they will not allow any plugins except the ones they have looked over and approve. Maybe the same services exist for Joomla, I just don't know of any.

So any of the 3 plugins or the theme even could have malicious code in them... you just never really know. Most of the time unless it's a hacker group they aren't interested in your site at all, they are interested in the resources the machine possesses. Using it's memory, processor, and location to carry out other attacks on the net. In the case of my site I used a guestbook form that was malicious, and they were in pretty much from my most recent backup so I just saved the main page as HTML. That is the way the site has been for 5 years now and I just haven't had the time to build a new site, in all fairness the site don't make me money so it's not a priority for me.

Don't mean to freak you out, just something to think about.

Drew

Well the hacker groups will be disappointed to find that the PC is a really weak machine with 512 whole megabytes of RAM and a CPU a couple of years older than I am. :)

• The topic was locked