Light-O-Rama Forums

Interactive

BlackwolfK9

I'm sure folks reading this that understand low voltage electronics are laughing, but I'm too stubborn to care.  I bought a breadboard and a LED that includes at 680 ohm resister.  I have a 9v transistor battery hooked up to the breadboard, along with the PIR motion sensor, and LED so that when I'm still the LED goes out and when I move, the LED lights up, as expected.  The output of the motion sensor is connected to the positive wire of the LED and the negative wire is connected to the ground of the breadboard along with the ground of the motion sensor and the battery.

When I hook up the input pup ground to the breadboard and then as soon as I connect a channel from the inputpup to the output of the motion sensor, the input is "tripped" and the corresponding sequence is played.  The LED is now light constantly and the sequence plays over and over and over.  

If I hook up the positive wire of the LED to the inputpup channel wire and the ground wire to the inputpup ground wire, the light stays lit constantly and the sequence plays over and over.

I can't figure out how to open the circuit when using the motion sensor when the motion sensor is not sensing motion.  I'm guessing I need some electronics part between the motion sensor OUTPUT and the inputpup channel or something.

If the above makes sense at all, can someone help?  Has anyone used a PIR motion sensor with the inputpup?  If so, how did you hook it up?

Thank you.

PS - I think I'm needing a single pole single throw relay switch so that the circuit is open until the motion detector "powers" the relay to close the circuit.   ???

Edited by therosses5

http://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/UseMotionDetector.pdf

That talks about how to connect it to a controller, but the same concepts apply to the inputpup.

1. Use a 9V/12V power supply.  Connect 2 wires to the + side of the power supply:  1 to the Inputpup, one to the motion detector.
  2. Connect 3 wires, 1 from the GND on the Inputpup, 2 from the motion detector: 1 from NC (either),  and one from 12V- (9V will work too so don't freak out), to the - the power supply.
  3. Connect a wire from the Input Pup NC (the EMPTY terminal), to the InputPup #1.
  4. When setting up the show, be sure to tell the show editor that the switch is NORMALLY CLOSED.  (NC)

At the end you have...

On the MOTION detector:

• NC to Inputpup #1
  • NC (other) to PS GND
  • 12- to PS GND
  • 12+ to PS +

On the Input Pup

• VDC to PS +
  • GND to PS -
  • #1 to NC on Inputpup

On the Power Supply:

• + to 12+ Motion Detector
  • + to VDC Input Pup
  • - to NC (other) Motion Detector
  • - to 12- Motion Detector
  • - to GND Input Pup

DevMike,

Thank you so much for the detailed post.  I changed the input channels to Normally Closed using the LOR hardware utility and that did the trick.  I was fooled into thinking the PIR Motion Sensor output was normally open because while testing the LED light, the light would be out unless motion was detected.  That, I do not understand, but it is working now.

Now I can use LOR as a security system during the off season. :-)

Blair