Light-O-Rama Forums

One controller randomly turns off

OrlandoChristmas

Hi all,

This year I am using 2 out of my 4 controllers (because of power concerns) and that's fine with me as I was able to squeeze everything in to 32 channels. My controllers are connected using plain old cat 5 using standard LOR protocol with unit id's 1 and 2.

The problem lies when running a standby sequence that just has the lights on steady at 80%. Periodically (I'd say every 30-45 minutes) controller 1 just shuts off. The only way I can fix it is by unplugging the LOR to usb adaptor from my PC and plugging it back in as well as completely relaunching the sequence editor. Mind you, I am not using the scheduler at the moment because when it tries to activate, the console keeps repeatedly throwing HandleEvent Error: Subscript out of range. In case anyone is curious, the console logs are in the attachments. Then again, this is a problem for a different post in a different section.

I just need to try and figure out why controller 1 keeps turning off. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Emanuel

lor.txt

• 3 months later...
On 12/24/2015 at 5:57 PM, OrlandoChristmas said:

The problem lies when running a standby sequence that just has the lights on steady at 80%. Periodically (I'd say every 30-45 minutes) controller 1 just shuts off.

Can you clarify this statement a bit?

- Do all lights plugged into that controller suddenly turn off?
- Does the status LED on the controller's circuit board stay on, or does that turn off as well?
- Does the second unit continue operating normally?
- How is the second unit connected to the network (directly to the computer or through the first unit)?
- When you state that you have to basically reboot things, do you have to unplug and plug back in the controller that is malfunctioning?

-Scott

One thing to try is bringing in one of your other controllers and swapping it for the one having problems. Then see if the problem follows the controller or the one in that spot. I had a controller last year acting a little flaky so I dropped in my spare and it was acting flaky too. Turned out to be a corroded CAT5 coupler I was using to join CAT5 wires.

scodavis:

• Yes they all turn off.
  • I'm not sure but if I recall correctly, I believe so.
  • Yes it continues normally.
  • Through the first unit.
  • No, I basically close and reopen the entire LOR suite (through the windows tray)

jstorms:

I will try that when I get the chance, it's hard to find any time to do anything anymore. Life, am I right? :P Anyway, that could be it, especially considering I crimp my own connectors. Though, the connector spends all of its time in the enclosure or inside the house.

Anyway, both of you, thanks for the replies. I honestly thought the thread went dead, but I guess not. Thank you!

Edited by OrlandoChristmas

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the status LED, goes from constantly on when running then blinking when things fail or does it shut off too? We are trying to determine if its losing its connectivity or power. The CAT5 connectors called RJ45 connectors, check for bent or pushed in contact pins that have no retracted back out to their normal position. This would cause the LED to go to the blinking mode. Corroded connections will do the same as already mentioned.