Light-O-Rama Forums

Does gen1 boards support DMX

jstorms

I'm assuming from my playing around that gen 1 boards do not do DMX, correct?

I'm assuming the board is gen1 due to "V1" being marked on the green board with red light.

All LOR controllers, with MAYBE the exception of the MC-P boards (and there are only 25 of those left out in the wild as far as we can count) can do DMX with proper firmware.

Okay. So I have a CTB16PC-V1 (as written on the green board with red light). It is loaded with firmware 4.32, which I reloaded to make sure. It was unit 2, but is now unit 0x11 with channels 17-32.

It sits in a daisy chain between unit 1 with channels 1-16, and what was unit 3, now unit 0x21 with channels 33-48.

The two other CTB16's work fine. One is a V2 the other is gen3.

Unit 1 is connected via a crossover cable to a E1.31 bridge configured for universe 50.

I set up the bridge in Network preferences, and in Seq Editor (4.0.12) added a DMX universe as a device, universe 50 with 48 non-RGB channels.

If I connect this up to the LOR dongle I can successful turn on the lights via the Hardware Utility.

What am I doing wrong?

Doing some experimenting putting my LOR CTB16's into DMX mode. I have 3 CTB's: [sACN]->[CTB16PC v2]->]CTB16PC v1]->[CTB16PC gen3]. I changed the UnitIDs from 1, 2, 3 to 0x1, 0x17, and 0x21. These are in 16 channel increments (like you would do for dumb rgb controllers on a RS485 network). However; V1 wasn't working. That is until I tried all the channels in the universe and it was coming up starting on channel 257, which is 240 channels off. The suspicious part was that 240/16=15. So I hook it back up the LOR dongle, change UnitID 0x17 back to 2, and guess what now it works.

Takeaway: DMX works on V1's, but the numbering is different.

On V2 and Gen3's the number is:

(( hex2dec(unit_ID) - 1) * 16) + 1 = dec2hex(DMX starting channel address in decimal)

On V1 (at least the 4.20 firmware) automatically takes it's unitID and multiplies by 16, so you just leave it as is.

Doing some experimenting putting my LOR CTB16's into DMX mode. I have 3 CTB's: [sACN]->[CTB16PC v2]->]CTB16PC v1]->[CTB16PC gen3]. I changed the UnitIDs from 1, 2, 3 to 0x1, 0x17, and 0x21. These are in 16 channel increments (like you would do for dumb rgb controllers on a RS485 network). However; V1 wasn't working. That is until I tried all the channels in the universe and it was coming up starting on channel 257, which is 240 channels off. The suspicious part was that 240/16=15. So I hook it back up the LOR dongle, change UnitID 0x17 back to 2, and guess what now it works.

(( hex2dec(unit_ID) - 1) * 16) + 1 = dec2hex(DMX starting channel address in decimal)

On V1 (at least the 4.20 firmware) automatically takes it's unitID and multiplies by 16, so you just leave it as is.

I am looking to do this as well. What E1.31 controller are you using and where did you get the proper crossover cable?

Thanks, Chris

I too plan to use my older controllers when going to DMX next year so I'm following this thread. :)

Good info to know from someone else using older controllers. (thumbs up) :)

Thank you for sharing.

Tom