Light-O-Rama Forums

10 watt 12 volt rgb floods keep burning out the red sides

boatdog357

I have just replaced twice my led in my rgb floods.  I don't understand why only the reds keep burning out but the green and the blue works just fine. voltage on my power supply is only 12.2  and 11.9 with other on at same time this keeps happening on both my floods.   ?????????????????? 

Edited by boatdog357

Did you hack the floods from eBay? If so did you put a resistor on the red led? Also I know I have my power supply turned down to run 11 volts not 12 on my floods

I bought them off eBay for cheap and took out those glued packed power supplies controlled by an ir sensor and tied my wires in it.  but I replaced the led with a better brand. but I have seen some others that stated that red is 7 volts.  why is the red 7 not 12.  but I was thinking of  a resistor and a blocking diode on the yellow + side cause when they burn out it seems to tie the blue mosfet together and causes my dongle to power off. I am not sure what ohm to use .  ??

I tried to turn my power supply down to 11.7 is all down it will go.  and after that my power supply went dead. I treid to turn it back up and nothing at all.  resoldered a new 3 amp pico fuse and it blew in half.  looking to find me another one locally but I doubt I will find one.  I used to have a mini pc power supply that powered up from my dio card by relay.  looking into that option again. 

Edited by boatdog357

Each Color of the LED's basically run at a slightly different voltage.  Using resistors inline will balance things out so that you can drive everything at 12 Volts

You will keep burning out red if you don't get it's voltage down to around 7v. Also, you are damaging blue and green running them above 11v.

Here's a good thread on the subject...

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26405-10w-rgb-flood-light-reverse-engineering/?hl=reverse

Basically gut the flood, turn power supply down to 11v, and use an 18 ohm, 1w(or higher) resistor inline on red.

This is what are done for mine and they have run fine from the first weekend in October

This is what are done for mine and they have run fine from the first weekend in October

I installed twenty-eight 10w RGB floods in a local buddy's arcade and they have been running 12-14 hours a day for a few months now. Only loss has been one set of blue LEDs.

He liked them so much I just installed 10 more in his front window display last weekend. :)

Winning combination in my book.

Here's a good thread on the subject...

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26405-10w-rgb-flood-light-reverse-engineering/?hl=reverse

Basically gut the flood, turn power supply down to 11v, and use an 18 ohm, 1w(or higher) resistor inline on red.

And all mine are still working great since the hack described in that link. :)

• Like 1

I put a 15k ohm on my red and have not been having any problems.  I also bought me a thermaltake tr2 -500 watt power supply.  connected the green and black together to power it up.  my voltage is at 12.1 volts.  wished there was a adjustment to take it down to atleast 11.7  but so far I have been operating it since 20th has been working great.  I am going to rebuild my other one with a 18k ohm on the red,  1k ohm on the green, and a 2.2 on the blue.  also I have noticed that turning down a power supply and pulling so much from them with other coming on and off and certain interval causes spikes.  so even the green is 12 volts I am going to continue with a resistor on that.  but all works great  thank you everyone for the help and have merry Christmas and a happy new year                         

• The topic was locked