Light-O-Rama Forums

50' Mega Tree Comes Down -- Ouch!

randallr

We took down the 50' RohnTower today... We thought we'd just do it just like we did putting it up.... (it's on a hinged base) several people pulling, and a couple people walked it up...

Only difference today was we used the wrong ropes (they stretched) and we forgot to put the tall guy under it... Two of us short guys started to walk it down, but we quickly realized we needed the Tall one on our side- and farther down!!

Attached files 148642=8702-tower2.jpg

It's a Rohn 25g Radio Tower.. 5 - 10' sections on a hinged base. Cost around $125 per section. If you know any local Ham Radio folks they probably know the nearest distributor... Kinda expensive, but we had 21,000 lights on it this year, with plans to double that next year... Wanted something that would survive the 70mph Blue Northers we sometimes get.. Plus be able to easily service any problems with the strings..

I already had a climbing harness and climb much bigger than this at work.. I'll be posting many, many more pics this weekend on website www.andrewschristmas.com

Each of the strings were wrapped around 14 gauge THHN wire, and pulled tight to rebar stakes with turnbuckles - to eliminate banging around in wind.

We lucked out with maybe a max wind of 55mph this year, but several days of 35-45mph... Didn't loose a single string.

• 1 month later...

I never thought of usin a radio tower, instaed I used pump jack poles. Mine only 40' high. Did you use a ground rod? I was wondering if you need to since we both have good size rods

Attached files 150214=8770-tree1.jpg