Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving LED Spot lights

BlackwolfK9

Anyone know sources for the moving large spot lights I've seen on the Christmas Light Fight that folks have on their roofs.  Also are these controllable from within our sequencing software utilizing DMX?

They can be controlled using LOR SE via a DMX output. What you have seen on GCLF will run you at least $ 7,000 a piece including the dome.

Anything below 1200W HID or comparable a 400W LED source will not be visible. I have one 200W LED and it only works when using a lot of haze / fog. Pretty much given up an this project.

Good ones are: Elation, Martin, Clay Paky, Varilite. And the there is all the indoor DJ variants on eBay.

Each dome is anywhere between $1000 and $6000 and a good moving head with sufficient light output starts at $4500.

I wasn't watching that closely when the show was on, but the units that I saw on the show didn't look like they were that big (or expensive!) Does anyone one know what specific units were being utilized?

You should be able to find some either by the following source's more reasonable. Cheaplights. com / stageape.com / Chauvet.com or even Guitar Center of other higher end musical stores that do sell band stage lighting.

Yes, the price range for a "moving head" light can range from $200-$5000+...That being said, with the advances of LED technology, there are some cheap(er) units out there that actually punch pretty hard for the price and size. And more money doesn't necessarily mean more brightness. It means features like rotating gobos, an iris, focus, color mixing, and usually a much better build quality. When I was watching the show, it seemed pretty obvious to me that they were running haze or smoke to make the beams appear.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1023731&gclid=CjwKEAiAkb-zBRC2upezwuyguQ4SJADZG08v7Z0xfyRFI73NMZYpGWvA1ZVh85s-Vo0git4e__AHhBoCcKzw_wcB&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&is=REG&A=details

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-lot-beam-230w-7r-sharpy-moving-head-light-beam-light/2048677298.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201644_2_79_78_77_82_80_62,searchweb201560_4

American DJ is a more reliable make and will probably have better support than the Chinese ones.

It will take a lot of fog to make any of these show up. Infact it is impossible to shine light on air. The only way any laser or light shows up is the particles in the air. Brighter lights are better though.

On a windy night, there won't be much.

Has anyone ever tried pointing these into their "yard" or neighbor's houses? Then you wouldn't need fog.

• Like 1

The BHPhoto link has a 12W LED. This has the light output of a 75W Incan bulb.

I do have a bunch of 12W RGB spot lights and they work ok if they are pointed against a tree or a wall. No way they can make a beam outside.

The Aliexpress link is not LED. It is a 7R HID lamp. This might work if you add fog and haze in ideal conditions.

I have a few 60W LED moving heads (around 300 on eBay). They are great indoors and I used them Halloween to project gobos on my house. Even that was challenging but visible.

I also have one 200W LED moving head. Again - great inside and works outside when foggy. For most part, the beam is not visible as shown in the videos. Haze helps but there cannot be any wind otherwise it is blown away.

So - if you are looking for a nice spotlight to point onto houses or trees, something like this will work. If you are looking for the beam effect seen in the videos, 400W LED or over 575W HID (better actually 1200W) is what you need.

I used to have two "SkyRose" which are projecting beams into the sky. The 1200W was pretty much unusable unless you have been away from any light source. Even the 2500W only worked so-so...

Edited by viennaxmas

What do you use to protect the heads against rain, moisture, etc.?  Thanks.

Most people use inflatable domes. They need to have ventilation, power and data connections.

You can get the domes on AliExpress. Some of them will cost more than the lights themselves though.

The BHPhoto link has a 12W LED. This has the light output of a 75W Incan bulb.

I do have a bunch of 12W RGB spot lights and they work ok if they are pointed against a tree or a wall. No way they can make a beam outside.

The Aliexpress link is not LED. It is a 7R HID lamp. This might work if you add fog and haze in ideal conditions.

I have a few 60W LED moving heads (around 300 on eBay). They are great indoors and I used them Halloween to project gobos on my house. Even that was challenging but visible.

I also have one 200W LED moving head. Again - great inside and works outside when foggy. For most part, the beam is not visible as shown in the videos. Haze helps but there cannot be any wind otherwise it is blown away.

So - if you are looking for a nice spotlight to point onto houses or trees, something like this will work. If you are looking for the beam effect seen in the videos, 400W LED or over 575W HID (better actually 1200W) is what you need.

I used to have two "SkyRose" which are projecting beams into the sky. The 1200W was pretty much unusable unless you have been away from any light source. Even the 2500W only worked so-so...

The moving heads on AliExpress were the ones used by Tom Betgeorge.

Tom will be mad you gave away his "secret" weapon ;)

I have seen several displays using moving heads this year. None are as well programmed as his.

I would like some moving heads, but maybe not for my Christmas light show.

Moving heads are fun! I get to use them every day for my "real" job :-). And yes, they can take a lot of time to program well. But I'll probably never incorporate them into my Christmas show at home!

Most people use inflatable domes. They need to have ventilation, power and data connections.

You can get the domes on AliExpress. Some of them will cost more than the lights themselves though.

The moving heads on AliExpress were the ones used by Tom Betgeorge.

Is this the dome used?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Outdoor-Waterproof-Moving-Head-Light-Cover_60315007921.html

I don't think it was that one exactly, but that one looks really good. It is plastic and not inflatable.

The only problem I can see with it is the powercon connector.

Powercon is this:

092-280_HR_0.jpg

It is used for higher power lights, and high end equipment.

You can buy or make an adapter with a powercon socket and an extension cable or IEC extension cable, or see if the Alibaba seller can change it for a US socket or IEC lead.

• The topic was locked