Light-O-Rama Forums

Do holiday lights slow your Wi-Fi signal?

Don

I had a similar situation with my garage door opener. I replaced the lights in the opener with LED bulbs and my remotes would not work 50% of the time or I had to be standing at the door for them to open. I read an article about LED light noise and how it interferes with signals so I put regular light bulbs back in my garage and the remotes started working again.

This is why during show times I don't use the internet, I use a USB wireless dongle and I get decent speeds with, but as soon as my display goes live for the evening, that signal drops from the 29-52Mbps I get all the way down to very low 1.0Mbps!    And I'm somewhat of a 50/50 mix of L.E.D.'s and Incandescent bulbs in my display.    So, yes, I know and believe every word of that article to be true!

That was on the TV over here the other week but I didn't believe it.

Maybe it is true though.

It's true.  I tried it several nights in a row, just as soon as the show went live and the lights started dancing I watched the WiFi signal drop from the 29-52Mbps I normally get all the way down to 1.0Mbps.   And it only happens when the display is running, during the day with no display running and my day show {off hours Christmas music} running I maintain the 29-52Mbps, just as soon as 5:30pm comes and show starts, wham!, down to 1.0Mbps!    So tried it by using the HWU after the show to see if the lights were what was causing the WiFi drop, yep, sure enough, it dropped every time I turned on the L.E.D. strands.   The incandescent bulbs didn't bother it at all, only the L.E.D. strands brought the signal down.   As I thought maybe the controllers, computer and cat5 could also be an issue along with the extension cords, but only happens on the L.E.D.'s, didn't seem anything else in the display created any issues.

So I can believe every word of it after seeing it for myself in my own display.

I've brought our wi-fi to a screeching halt when incorrectly setting up my DMX network but we can attribute that to "operator ineptitude" and not the lights.  I still don't know what I do wrong each time, but it's an easily repeatable error apparently.  I can't seem to remember the right way to set it up from year to year and invariably have to hunt and peck my way through it as I crash it again each November during setup.  You'd think I'd learn by now to write things down. 

My daughter read this article in the paper and asked me if this was why our internet was rubbish. I replied it was rubbish because I only pay £10 a month!

Last night was our first night running the show and our DirecTV hard drive died about halfway through the night.  Coincidence? :blink:   We now have to wait for them to ship us a new receiver.

While they note anything could cause bad wifi. We of course know this is a targeted attack on Christmas. Right?

Drew

Um, no it's not.

Go put your tin foil hat on.

My light show actually affects my garage door opener.

Between the controllers, approximately 3500 LED's on the outside of the garage wall and the FM antenna in the attic, it provides enough interference that when the show is running, the remote doesn't work right unless you're about 5 feet from the door and standing just right when you push the button.

Once the controllers and show is shut down it operates normally again. Normal operation is much further like 100 feet away.

Edited by HowardShank

My light show actually affects my garage door opener.

Between the controllers, approximately 3500 LED's on the outside of the garage wall and the FM antenna in the attic, it provides enough interference that when the show is running, the remote doesn't work right unless you're about 5 feet from the door and standing just right when you push the button.

Once the controllers and show is shut down it operates normally again. Normal operation is much further like 100 feet away.

Are these CCB/CCP controllers? There was an issue a long time ago which should have been fixed in firmware by now. 

I have a LED tv and I recently rearranged. My wireless router ended up behind the TV. My wife complained about crappy speed. So having read the above article I turned the TV off. Speed went up about 80% right away.

Strange!

Edited by EvilM0nkey

• The topic was locked