Light-O-Rama Forums

Too young?

Erl2015

Hi everyone,

First of all - thanks for all the great information I have found on this forum! My question is really about my son. He has gotten super interested in doing a light show in the past few years. He is 12. He has a holiday brilliant set that we got him a couple years ago but that, of course, is nothing. And actually frustrating sometimes. He desperately wants the light o Rama starter kit for Christmas to prepare for next year. We are tempted since he's so excited but we are hesitant about it... I love the idea of a project like this for him, but I worry about whether a 12 year old boy really has the patience and persistence for something like this. So I thought I would ask your advice! I realize that's difficult since you don't know him. Quick description for what it's worth - he's bright, into sports, but also likes a solitary project from time to time. The thing is, he's still... well....12. Lol. Any general thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have seen children age twelve that excel at this type of thing.  If he likes computers he will surely love this hobby (obsession).  It is kind of like electric legos.  You build it on the computer but instead of putting it on a shelf you hook up lights and let everyone enjoy the result.  Remember, that it is not just Christmas lights you can use the LOR stuff for.  I have done Halloween, a romantic valentines show for my wife, skits for family and friends using props other than just lights, it is endless.  Hey, even if you son does not like it you may get hooked.  Good luck, enjoy your son, they grow up so fast. 

When my boy was 12 we were sitting down building robots. I was teaching him C plus programming. We were working with Arduino microcontrollers. He has his own desk in my shop with his own Ubuntu OS computer and piles of electronics. Last year I taught him how to weld and he built a go kart. This is something you can do with him and build more than Christmas lights you'll build memories. You would be better off putting your money into light o rama controllers than a PS 4 controller.

I have a 6 year old and he is doing some sequencing, ( well that's what he is calling it) but he gets the concept. I love the time we get doing this. He's into the Christmas lights and I'm into the Halloween lights and display. so it's a win, win

When I was 7 years old is when i was taught to solder by my father, ever since then I had always built all kinds of things, so if your son is technically enhanced {hows that for a new term?}, he will excel at this.    If he loses interest, won't say he will or won't, all depends on each individual, you can continue on doing it yourself or sell the equipment on the forums here.  There is always someone looking and willing to buy used LOR equipment around here, or you could try e-bay to sell it if you don't want to continue doing it yourself.

But once you learn the software and how the hardware all work, it's extremely addictive and a lot of fun, especially the smiles and joy it brings to others watching what you created.

One suggestion I will give you, even before you buy any of the LOR Hardware, download the software and learn how to use it.  Just about everything works in the DEMO version, you just can't control lights with it until you have the hardware and acquire a software license to do so.    And the next suggestion would be to buy at a minimum the Advanced License, PRO if you can, the higher license levels open up more options and things you can do in the software and use in your light displays.

And like others have said, LOR is not for just Christmas, I do a Halloween display and of course Christmas, after the Holidays are over and done, I use the controllers for my handicap ramp walkway lights and other landscaping lights.   Only your imagination with what you can do with LOR is your limit!

Oh, and BTW: I am now legally blind and lost 98% of the hearing in my right ear and I'm still putting up and doing animated musical displays!  Of course my age has a lot to do with that, but I'll keep putting up and doing displays until my medical conditions or my age, whichever comes first, end up making it impossible for me to do so!

Edited by Orville
  • Like 2

Young boy's interests change rapidly  but exposure to new things, plus the father/son time is something you can't lose. Even if he loses interest, you can proceed on your own and possibly, he'll come back to it to help. It takes time and dedication but of course at 12, he doesn't have the money to spend on it but you need to ask, what's it worth to you?

When I was young, my Saturday morning job was to take all the tubes out of our Curtis Mathis black and white TV and take them to the local supermarket and run them each on the tube tester. If any were weak or bad, I'd ride my bicycle back home, tell my dad which one(s) and get money to purchase a new one. Back to the store, verify the new tube and back home. Re-install all of them and turn it on. That started me down a path that served me well over the years.

I say "Go for it!".  A single 12 year old has more patience and persistence if genuinely interested in the task at hand than any 2 adults combined.  Additionally, they seem to grasp concepts much better as their minds are generally pre-dispositioned to "learn" mode.  With LOR, you'll never be out much on your initial investment if his interest doesn't hold as the re-sale value remains strong due to demand.  Forewarned though, initial investments often snowball into substantial investments over a very short period of time as we tend to get caught up into the excitement.  Grab a starter kit, a couple of shared sequences, and the advanced software if the budget allows.  I might also suggest rousting up a small herd of mini incandescant fixtures...at this time of year, plug-in window candles with 4-7 watt night light bulbs are all in the dollar stores.  While the visualizer is nice, it can't really compete with the genuine excitement of having something plugged into the controllers for enjoying and bench-testing your various blinky-flashy experiments.  

• Like 1

Just because LOR can, doesn't mean you have to go big.  There are many people with 16 channel displays that look awesome, so if it doesn't work out, you'll still have a cool display. The biggest question I would ask is why does he want to get into it.  If it is 'cool' to create the shows on the software, money can be spent elsewhere to do cool things with programming.  If it because of the software and learning about electricity and lighting, and making your own propos, then he has a deeper interest and would stay with it longer and try to understand more about the concepts. This is probably a decision you would need to make for him.

My 11 year old helps out a bunch, the biggest thing is he is learning about safety, techniques, design and cause and effects, not just playing a 'video game'.  In the post from SparkDr, playing with other smaller lights throughout would maintain the interest - creating a talking face, for example, and learning how to modify your own recorded talking would be fun. LOR is not just meant for Christmas.

Good luck and hopefully we have a future Lighter showing off his talents.

It's a good idea to encourage creativity. If it sticks great. If it flops then you tried. The cost of admission is not that bad. It's the cost of the bug bites that's tuff.

It's a good idea to encourage creativity. If it sticks great. If it flops then you tried. The cost of admission is not that bad. It's the cost if the bug bites that's tuff.

I certainly wish I had started the hobby before my kids got older.  If there is an interest I say you should do it.  Let them help with props and a little sequencing, they will love it!

Lights and software have a price, but the time you spend with your son is priceless.   You can never replace those years.  The older you get the faster time goes by. 

• Like 1

Echo Orville..download the software and start sequencing. Make sure he knows about this forum.

If he is still interested in the spring LOR has a sale every spring and you can buy the controller then (and license to control the lights).

My son started at age 12 working with me.  Now @ 16 years, by himself, he's added sound activated LED lighting to the marching band drum-line in High School.  

Hi everyone,

First of all - thanks for all the great information I have found on this forum! My question is really about my son. He has gotten super interested in doing a light show in the past few years. He is 12. He has a holiday brilliant set that we got him a couple years ago but that, of course, is nothing. And actually frustrating sometimes. He desperately wants the light o Rama starter kit for Christmas to prepare for next year. We are tempted since he's so excited but we are hesitant about it... I love the idea of a project like this for him, but I worry about whether a 12 year old boy really has the patience and persistence for something like this. So I thought I would ask your advice! I realize that's difficult since you don't know him. Quick description for what it's worth - he's bright, into sports, but also likes a solitary project from time to time. The thing is, he's still... well....12. Lol. Any general thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Here's the thing - (1) the software is EASY to learn and use, (2) You don't need the controller or a license at first to get him started on programming the lights (more on this later), (3) you can use just about any genre of music to program the lights to, and (4) the software will be a good gateway into computer science/technology if that's where you want him to end up (or if that's where he wants to end up).

(1) SOFTWARE THAT IS EASY TO USE

The software, if you haven't seen it yet, is a pretty simple tool to get to know. Essentially, you tell the program [a] how many strings of lights you have, what kind of lights (Floods/RGBs and Incandescent/LEDs are different from each other and is treated differently by the software) and what color the lights are that you are using.

(2) YOU DON'T NEED THE CONTROLLER (OR A LICENSE) TO GET STARTED

All you need to get him started is the software. It's free to download, but you cannot control any lights or any controllers until (a) you buy both. You NEED the controller to run the data to the lights and the license is the "permission" to use the software and control the lights. Since you may not be willing to throw down $400 right away, I recommend installing software first to give it a try.

(3) ANY KIND OF MUSIC FITS!

You don't necessarily have to do music tailored to a specific season/holiday/event. You can insert any song and you can program that song as you wish.

(4) THE SOFTWARE IS A GOOD GATEWAY INTO COMPUTERS AND TECHNOLOGY

Knowing how the lights are triggered on/off and how the software works and the virtual screen of "programming" lights to do things for you is a good way to pique interest in this field. obsession. It's a good way to get him familiar with this kind of technology. :D

Hope this helps.

LN

P.S.

I'm a young lighting programmer as well (Young - less than 22, old - in college ;)) so I know how important it is to get hooked on something early-on.

Wow!  Thanks for all the responses.  It's exactly what I was looking for when I posted, I appreciate it!  I think we are leaning towards getting it as a Christmas present and he can get started for next year....  thanks again, all the responses were really helpful!

I'm 15 and love to do it, i started at age 13 and had no problems. Its not a difficult hobby if you start out basic.

I am 15 as well. I started out at age 12 when I asked my parents for a 16 channel controller and I have been doing it ever since.

-Chris-