Light-O-Rama Forums

Bad batch of strobes from DIY LED Express this past year?

JeffF

Just put the 36 strobes I bought in the pre-season early sale and I had 5 die within 5 minutes. Then I checked a few of the still working ones and I can see burn marks on the PCB near the U shaped tube.

Running the show for 5 hours tonight so I can't wait to check them all tomorrow. None of the other 125-150 strobes we already had have been affected so I'm thinking bad batch. :(

Anyone else get in on the pre-season sale this year?

I got some but haven't added them yet. Might have to run a test to see though.

Maybe it's because you didn't buy 300 of them.  :P

I had some strobes with burn marks that instead of strobing the circuit board would arch. I took liquid electrical tape and covered the board where it would arch and been working ever since

• Like 1

wierd, i got 300 from them and they're fine, how many per cord/circuit?

Anywhere from 10-30 per SPT cord. And they are split between two channels.

I got some but haven't added them yet. Might have to run a test to see though.

Maybe it's because you didn't buy 300 of them.  :P

Ha... maybe. I did notice that these arcing strobes would still fire sometimes... but they seem to arc more than strobe.

I had some strobes with burn marks that instead of strobing the circuit board would arch. I took liquid electrical tape and covered the board where it would arch and been working ever since

You know, that looks like it'd probably work. Any tips on easily doing this? I've repaired a few strobes in the past but breaking the seal has always been a PIA for me. I'll pick some up today.

Thanks guys!

Most of my strobes the clear lens screwed off but few were sonic welded together so a heat gun was used to make ply able to seperate then glued back. I make sure now they are screw together just in case of this situation

Most of my strobes the clear lens screwed off but few were sonic welded together so a heat gun was used to make ply able to seperate then glued back. I make sure now they are screw together just in case of this situation

Awesome, thanks again. Picked up the tape and I should have time later today to give 'er a whirl. Will report back.

I had the same thing I used silicone. Just remember to clean up the arc trace if you can. Once it arc across it leaves a carbon trail that the electricity wants to follow.

About forgot a word of warning the acetone vapor in some products like liquid tape will fog the lens if you dont let it completely dry first before putting the lens back on

• 1 month later...

I've got half my strobes down so far, 96 dead strobes and I haven't even gone through all of them yet. I'm not impressed, won't be buying these again.....

Todd was great. Seems like he did a bunch of research and found a new supplier. I had 10 dead from last year's order so he credited me $38 to cover 10 more strobes for this seasons pre-order(ordered 36 more).

Write him. I bet he makes good.

• 2 weeks later...

Todd was great. Seems like he did a bunch of research and found a new supplier. I had 10 dead from last year's order so he credited me $38 to cover 10 more strobes for this seasons pre-order(ordered 36 more).

Write him. I bet he makes good.

Same issue with about a 50% failure rate on 50 Xenon U-tube strobes . Write to Todd, and his reply was to say that "yes they had a bad batch last year but now are using a different supplier". No mention of credit on new order at all!

Yes, Todd knows they had a bad batch.. He posted a "fix" for them but you have to do your own fixing.  He did not recall them, which I though he should have done, but he did say I could ship mine back and he would make good on them... Problem is that even if he credits back the original shipping, I am still out 1/3 of the price of the strobes just to get them back to him.  I decided I will fix the ones I have and call it a day. 

IMHO, he should have recalled them all including and paid the return shipping.  It would have cost him some money, but that is the price for being a retailer and selling a defective product.  However, he did sell them pretty cheap... Get what you pay for I guess is what I finally came to terms with.

Yes, Todd knows they had a bad batch.. He posted a "fix" for them but you have to do your own fixing.

Where did he post a fix? I emailed him a few times and he never referenced it? I did tell him I read here about the liquid electrical tape but nothing on his end?

Same issue with about a 50% failure rate on 50 Xenon U-tube strobes . Write to Todd, and his reply was to say that "yes they had a bad batch last year but now are using a different supplier". No mention of credit on new order at all!

That really stinks... :(