Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel nodes staying on

jerry72

Ok, so it is raining here, i looked outside and noticed one of my 50 count node strings was powered up and sorta of blinking. I went ahead and turned on the E682 and all strings powered up to full, even the flashy one. When i powered it off, the string continued to stay on. I shook the string to knock the rain off, and it went off, but came back on about 5 minutes later. I have realized that i forgot to seal up the ends at the top of the mega tree. Is the rain just arcing across the data and power? Is power always running through the node strings even if the E682 is supposed to be "off"?

As long as your board is powered up so are your strings. You better get up there with a tube of silicone pretty quick.

Well i went ahead and pulled the plug to avoid any damage. I will get up there today with some liquid tape or silicone like you suggested.

I suggest you look at the bottom or lowest part of the string/strip. I'm betting you'll find water inside. I've already had to deal with this last week with several of mine. You need to get the water out, before you seal it up. Might try making a small hole on the bottom, blow air in from the top and out the bottom till dry, then seal both ends again. Remember too, water can get in, between any twisted wires coming out too and not just the normal seal.

I suggest you look at the bottom or lowest part of the string/strip. I'm betting you'll find water inside. I've already had to deal with this last week with several of mine. You need to get the water out, before you seal it up. Might try making a small hole on the bottom, blow air in from the top and out the bottom till dry, then seal both ends again. Remember too, water can get in, between any twisted wires coming out too and not just the normal seal.

These are pixel nodes so no water at the bottom. Best thin gi can think of is that water was arching across the wires at the top of the string.

Ahh...well that's possible then but I'm thinking you've got a bad node. I've got a second pixel tree of nodes only. Most have a drop of silcone at the wire end up on top but not all. There were no issues for the whole tree immediately following the 3.5 inches of rain I got here the one night.